Rearend Question

1FASFKR

Established Member
I've read where some owners have bent their axle with hard launches and running DRs or even bent the axles with just a stock setup. I was just wondering if anybody in the forum has ever had the axle tubes welded around the joint where it meets the housing? It would seem that under a hard launch the tubes would flex and possibly break the factory weld. Looking at the aftermarket rear ends like Moser, they seem to all be welded around the housing. Is this something that could be done to the factory rear for peace of mind without issue?

Thanks

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Any serious 8.8 build will weld (and potentially brace) the axle tubes. Even more important in our application of a heavy manual transmission.
I will be picking up mine next week and will post the build.
-J

VFORCEJOHN

Established Member
Great, I'd like to keep the 8.8 and beef it up as well. maybe go 3.73? something 33 spline but no spool. I fear bending an axle or even worse snapping it and sending the tire thru the fender.

Joraft

Established Member
... I was just wondering if anybody in the forum has ever had the axle tubes welded around the joint where it meets the housing? It would seem that under a hard launch the tubes would flex and possibly break the factory weld. Looking at the aftermarket rear ends like Moser, they seem to all be welded around the housing. Is this something that could be done to the factory rear for peace of mind without issue?

The 13s and 14s do have beefed up (somewhat) axle tube and housing joints.

Below is from 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine:

m5lp_1209_13_2013_shelby_gt500_total_package.jpg

Some 5,000 dragstrip launches during development showed a need to beef the GT500's axle tube-to-carrier junction torsional stiffness. That's a fancy way of saying the car was trying to twist its axle tubes out of the differential. The fix? Increase the axle tube diameter slightly for a tighter interference fit and add puddle (rosette) welds where photographer Dale is pointing. Inside, the axle shafts are carryover from '12.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Cool to know, its definitely something needed.
Stock is 31 and there are available 33 splines available for little difference in price, so its a no brainer. Strange offers a carbon fiber clutch (stock type) diff and the TrueTrac is available in 33, so those were the 2 I considered for a drag application. The Wavetrac is a good consideration but people I trust recommend the Truetrac over the Wavetrac if launching at the strip.
-J

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Like mentioned, the '13/14 rearends have puddle welds in addition to the factory pins. That should help with strength when compared with all prior 8.8's. My rear end is out of a '10 GT500, and I welded the tubes on it. I'm planning on putting around 1000rwh through it, and I'm fairly confident in it holding up.

Here is another pic of the puddle weld on a '13 GT500 housing (new from Ford):

E714690A-2819-4680-9F55-C765B01A94C1-8296-000007F704B8B5D3_zpsc87702e8.jpg

This is mine where I welded the tubes:

46EA4411-C779-4449-AFFC-ECE03E666156-944-000000E909477044_zps8e014d5a.jpg

Fastfish420

Established Member
Its funny I was on a gm forum and everyone of them hated the truetrac and loved the wavetrac..I went with the truetrac so we will see I guess.
Cool to know, its definitely something needed.
Stock is 31 and there are available 33 splines available for little difference in price, so its a no brainer. Strange offers a carbon fiber clutch (stock type) diff and the TrueTrac is available in 33, so those were the 2 I considered for a drag application. The Wavetrac is a good consideration but people I trust recommend the Truetrac over the Wavetrac if launching at the strip.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Yep, will see.
Were there any drag reviews? Seems like Wavetrac is more road course application? I heard some breaking at the strip though.
-J

Myfast70

Established Member
Here's a pic of the stitch welds I did on '13 GT500 build I just finished for a customer. It should be over 700rwhp as it now sits. I normally weld all the way around the tube but he just wanted it to be stitched. I'm pretty confident that it will hold up just fine.

hbMWc3wy7-3snRKEXAck4KKyqM87akbG1FIwQwrrJw4

1FASFKR

Established Member
Really great info! I'm wanting to weld the tubes for sure before I start the power mods.

Myfast70

Established Member
If directed towards me, yes! I always try to preheat thick stuff and then usually aluminum unless really thin stuff.

HighTorque

Established Member
Did you do that while the rear end was still in the car?
here's a pic of the stitch welds i did on '13 gt500 build i just finished for a customer. It should be over 700rwhp as it now sits. I normally weld all the way around the tube but he just wanted it to be stitched. I'm pretty confident that it will hold up just fine.

hbmwc3wy7-3snrkexack4kkyqm87akbg1fiwqwrrjw4

HighTorque

Established Member
Did you do that while the rear end was still in the car?
here's a pic of the stitch welds i did on '13 gt500 build i just finished for a customer. It should be over 700rwhp as it now sits. I normally weld all the way around the tube but he just wanted it to be stitched. I'm pretty confident that it will hold up just fine.

hbmwc3wy7-3snrkexack4kkyqm87akbg1fiwqwrrjw4

Users who are viewing this thread