Rebel flag experts

gnats

Find One Recall Daily
Established Member
I recently saw a bumper sticker with a rebel flag, and this saying "The South was right." Can anyone tell me what this means?

Zorabot

Al Bundy
Established Member
Probably means "slaves were right"

Some will talk some B.S. about the confederacy being right about preserving "state rights"

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Not necessarily.... one of the bases of the conflict was "states rights" vs. a strong federal government. In many ways, the Civil War truly was the "war of Northern aggression". And I'm a Yankee.

gnats

Find One Recall Daily
Established Member
It was a pickup truck with a lady driving. Two other bumper stickers were on it. One said "Rebel Bitch." The other had a picture of a mosquito, and said something like, "Send more Yankees, They taste good." I may be mistaken, but I thought the Civil War ended around 1865? Are we really still so ignorant, that we don't like people from the North?

ccperales

Established Member
harry gilbert said:
Not necessarily.... one of the bases of the conflict was "states rights" vs. a strong federal government. In many ways, the Civil War truly was the "war of Northern aggression". And I'm a Yankee.

You are correct, but the "States Rights" they were protecting centered around the issue of slavery and the "Northern Aggression" was the attempt to protect the continued existence of the Union from secession.

SVT GT

Established Member
Sounds like to me with the "The South Was Right" bumper sticker was about the Southern States succeeding from the Northern States. Everything doesn't have to be about slavery when people see a Confederate Flag, there were a lot of other reasons for that war.

BelvedereGTX

Banned
gnats said:
It was a pickup truck with a lady driving. Two other bumper stickers were on it. One said "Rebel Bitch." The other had a picture of a mosquito, and said something like, "Send more Yankees, They taste good." I may be mistaken, but I thought the Civil War ended around 1865? Are we really still so ignorant, that we don't like people from the North?
have you lived under a rock for a long time or something.

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
The reality is that there is still a bit of resentment and stereotyping that still exists in both 'Northerners' and 'Southerners'. Its a shame really. I think you find that a lot of Northerners think that Southerners are dumb and/or ignorant, driving around on dirt roads, buckteethed and shoeless. Southerners are often riled by Northerners who come down south and try to push their traditions on southern heritage.

I really think the confederate flag today is still a source of defiance but not toward the Union but toward attempts to change the South from outside influence in other parts of the country. Southerners are prideful of tradition and don't care for what they judge as "Yankee" interjection.

Slavery was a big part of the civil war, but it is only a piece of the puzzle. It was a wrongful and shameful practice, but even the North had some degrees of slavery as did other countries. It was the timing of a youthful country with a need for agricultural advancement and an active transatlantic slave trade. It doesn't make it right, but it happened. However, states rights and the oppressing of the south by the north with stronger representation for the north in congress that caused mounting tensions.

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
:shrug: I see all kinds of those bumper stickers down here like Happiness is a Northbound Yankee. Most of them are done in good humor (IMHO) but there is a lot of disgust building towards "snowbirds" and "yankee arrogance" if the local newspaper editorial sections are any representation. I agree with Traveler

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
gnats said:
....I may be mistaken, but I thought the Civil War ended around 1865? Are we really still so ignorant, that we don't like people from the North?

I visited South Carolina 2 years ago, and a group of us obvious Yankees went for dinner in a small-town diner. We waited over an hour for service, until the waitress overheard me use the term "war of Northern aggression", at which time she apologized and started service. She stated that they normally would refuse service to Blacks and Yankees (she didn't use the term "Blacks").

Yes, they are still fighting the Civil War in some parts of the South.

And, if anyone thinks that prejudice and suspicion are only in the South, I see blatant examples up North (I live in Southeast Michigan). Sad, people don't realize we're all pink on the inside (except some politicians, who are yellow, through and through).

Last edited:

Hooligan02

We're all full of lies
Established Member
The "rebel" flag is actually a war flag, but has come to mean a lot more, such as slavery, and all that. I personally love the south and find racism in both the north and south, but I must say, if I could live anywhere it would be the south. People are more respectful and polite, besides the obvious feels toward those of different cultures, it is something that will never die, so i hate to say it, get used to it. It is just as bad in the North as in the South, it is just more obvious in the south

gump

aka jamz
Established Member
"the south was right" only adds fuel to the redneck's fire.

Yeah there are still southerners who STILL resent yankees & vice versa.

It gets old, the civil war ended too long ago. Animosity & resentment not only carry over between yankees & rebels, it's also been going on for centuries all over the world.

Try calling people from various countries certain names like;

1. call in Indian (from india) a Paki, or ask him if he's from Pakistan.

2. As someone from eastern Europe if they are Russian & if they like Russians.

You will get scolded for making these mistakes, ive done it myself.

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
Can't answer the question, but I'll stick with this flag;

228px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
In a way, the Civil War was a political and economic war that forced ordinary citizens to pick up arms to safeguard their land and possessions. Most weren't fighting for the fate of the slaves and whether they remained in slavery or were freed. Most southerners were poor themselves. I really don't think most southerners wanted to leave the union, however they chose according to how their state chose. It was likely a snowball effect that grew more threatening to southerners and created a flee or fight mentality. Rather than lose what they had...they fought for their state, but also fought for their livelihoods.

Users who are viewing this thread