Rebuild or Swap??

Tony 96 Cobra

Addict
Established Member
I talked with MMR about a rebuild. They were very helpful and I wouldn't go with anyone else for a rebuild. But I have been thinking about maybe trying to find a complete 03/04 Cobra that is salvaged and using ALL the drivetrain. I am wanting a 6 speed in my car anyways, and I like the IRS cars too.

The plan for the rebuild was stage 3 port on heads, stage 3 cams, 8.5:1 compression, of course all forged, and later either a Procharger or Turbo. Then I would still have to buy the 6 speed swap later.

any comments or suggestions?

19mustang95

Wants another Mystic
Established Member
I wouldn't go under 9:1 compression...

and, i would try to get either a Viper spec(better 6th gear) or Cobra R(better 1st gear) T56 instead of the 03-04 T56...So buying a wrecked Termi wouldn't help you here. But i do recommend the IRS if you mostly street the car and don't do much drag racing....

How much was the bill going to be from MMR?

95SC

Banned
You have to think about few things first.What power level do you want to be at and how do you want to use your car?

Tony 96 Cobra

Addict
Established Member
I want to drive my car as much as possible, when possible. Driveability is a big issue. I don't have any use for a car if it can't be driven to the grocery store/Wal-mart, or to pick my daughter up from school! lol

I would like to make around 600 to the wheels with the option of a little more later.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
I feel like at 6400 youa re not too far away from getting a terminator drivetrain, someone may disagree but I have seen them go from anywhere from 7-9k, for motor and trans and as low as 4600 for a motor and ecu. So at that cost you could buy the trans afterwards and havea a freshly built trans instead of a used one. If you can do the work yourself on the swap you would save cash as well. Only downside is that the motor is used and how much has it been ragged on is anyones guess. Second is the added weight of an iron block.

95SC what did it cost you to do your swap, you may be a good example of the cost depending how long ago you did your swap etc.

95SC

Banned
I wouldn't waste money on cams or ported heads.Turbos are great but expensive and might give you alot of headaches down the road.Decent turbo kit is going to run you $5-6K plus bunch of hours of dynotuning.You can find a wrecked Terminator for around $10K.Swap everything out of it into your car then sell you engine, trans,interior and rest of the Terminator body parts and then buy a twin screw blower.You can have a nice set up for around $10K.I'm at 500rwhp without nitrous and my car rides pretty much like stock.If decide to go with MMR built engine and heads and then later on put turbo kit ,T-56,fuel system,IRS,dynotuning that's gonna run you close to $20K.Like I said before rethink your project twice before you're gonna get started on it.I have $13K into mine including 96 GT shell and my car has every possible bolt on ,built rear end,exhaust,fuel,26 spline clutch,suspension ............and the list goes on and on.

If you don't believe me you're going to spend around 20K her is a little list i made for you
MMR engine ,and heads $6400
IRS $1000
T-56 with good clutch and driveshaft $2000
turbo kit -6000
fuel -$1000
dynotuning -$700
plus all the other bolt ons and stuff that are needed to finish it up.That's not including any labor work.
Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to tell you what you have to do with your own car, I'm just giving you a little advice before you start your project.

Derek

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
I wouldnt spend the money on the heads or cams.. spend the money on the bottom end, freshen up the heads and your power adder..

The money youll save from the heads you can get a procharger.. Im guessing you would have spent $4k on heads and cams.. Get a good short runner and IMRC deletes instead.

So lets say you get the ported heads and cams and pickup 75rwhp give or take..
Thats $53 per HP (assuming its around $4k)

You could drop 4 pulley sizes on a procharger ie. from a 3.4 to a 3.0 and pickup like 60+rwhp (assuming its 16RWHP per #). All you'd have to do is get an 8rib setup and spend about $500.

Look into an D1 or F1 procharger throw 18psi at the motor and you'll be in the 600 range..

Your also going to need bigger injectors, fuel pump, dyno tune, power pipe, ect..

sc98cbra

Established Member
I'm not an expert like the rest of these guys, but if your wanting to freshen up your heads, I bet you can find some under 90,000. Mileage ones for 200-300$

Tony 96 Cobra

Addict
Established Member
The $6400 is for the built LONGblock with the head work and cams.

I appreciate all the suggestions and more are welcomed! This is something I am hoping to start gathering parts for soon no matter which way I go.

untchabl

F8LSNAKE
Established Member
How mechanically inclined are you? If you're pretty handy with basic tools I'd look into buying a wrecked Terminator and swapping everything over. You can find wrecked 03/04's with 20-40k miles for $6-10k. Pull the engine, trans, IRS, interior, etc and swap it into your Cobra. Then you will have IRS, a nicer interior, a 6 speed and a built motor with a power adder, all for alot less than you would spend building your engine, buying a T56, buying an IRS and then still having no power adder and the same interior. If you can have the car down for awhile so you can do the swap, that is the way I would go.

SnkBitPny

Established Member
I think mpssalvage.com (mustang parts salvage) sells complete 03/04 cobra swap kits. Engine, tranny, driveshaft, fuel system, etc. I don't know what they charge though. I just happend to have seen it on their website.

BLACK97C0BRA

97DOHCAMMER
Established Member
Id go with the swap, its diffrent and i love the way the termi motor looks in the engine bay of our cars. Really its up to you do whatever you really want.

95SC

Banned
One more thing,you said that driveability is a big issue for you than I'd definitely stay away from big centi blowers like F-series prochargers.

Tony 96 Cobra

Addict
Established Member
Thanks again guys!

one more thing. If I do the 03 swap; I have to change hoods don't I? I don't really want to do that.

I can do all the swap myself. That is no problem. Being wishful, but I think with a couple of friends I can do it in a weekend. lol.

95SC

Banned
IIRC you can keep your stock hood but you have to run smaller blower pulley.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
I like the thought of a new rebuild rather then someones beat on Terminator engine that might not be that good of a deal.

Users who are viewing this thread