Rebuilding Engine For Dummies....

sdoo500

Established Member
So, a few weeks ago developed what sounds like rod knock from my 2013. Can't complain at all, car has been through some serious punishment since I've owned it and never skipped a beat until now.

Originally, I was going to pull the motor and buy a built short block from someone like MPR or RGR. Plan was a CPR turbo maybe next year and shoot for 800-850 to the wheels. Once I started really adding everything up included trans and rear end upgrades, and figuring out roughly what I would run 1/4 mile, I am thinking at this point to just buy another purpose built drag car next year and keep my 2013 as a summer DD/cruiser. I didn't want to get rid of the stick so that would have been what held me back from going "fast".

Now I am thinking of rebuilding my motor as I stopped driving it immediately so I'm hoping inside isn't very torn up. My car guy "logic" if you can call it that, says even though I don't plan on building this car to a high power level, to still upgrade some of the problem areas while everything is out so I don't have to do this again.

I know alot of guys recommend the boss rotating assembly which I have just started researching. What would you guys recommend replacing besides rods/pistons and OPG? Or I have been looking at MMR 1000 rotating assembly which seems like a good deal as well. I have read some mixed things on MMR but take everything online with a grain of salt anyway. I see their MMR 1000 comes with forged crank but from my reading, the stock GT crank is plenty capable and I could just reuse that and have it all rebalanced?

I have never rebuilt a motor before so the process is a bit foreign. I am assuming everything will have to be balanced and I will have to find a good machine shop to do some work for me. What have some of you guys paid for simple machine work? Sorry for the long winded story, just needing some guidance and feeling a bit overwhelmed.

cliff notes: hurt stock motor; need to rebuild; need cost effective way and suggesitons

Last edited:

stangn

Established Member
Anyone can learn to rebuild an engine. That being said the modular platform is more challenging to do. Get all the tech info you can and decide whether or not it’s an achievable goal. If not buy a remanded or crate engine. It’ll have a warranty as well, where your rebuilt motor is your problem.

Silbult14

Established Member
I have some experience in building engines, but none with the Ford Mod motors. The Boss rotating assembly is better than the stock Gen 1 stuff, but it still uses powdered metal rods which I would never use in a built from scratch engine. They aren't rebuildable and they aren't nearly as good as a true forged rod IMO. Ford must think so too since they don't use powdered metal rods in the Aluminator engines. These engines get real forged rods. The Boss pistons are forged to the best of my knowledge. They also have larger valve reliefs since the Boss heads have larger valves and stiffer springs than your stock Gen 1 heads. I don't know how many cc's each head's combustion chambers are, but Boss heads [and '15,'16'17 heads are very similar], but different from Gen 1 heads. This MAY result in a slight loss in the static compression ratio if Boss pistons are used with Gen 1 heads. All the Coyote engines have forged cranks, but since Boss engines have stronger [ and heavier ] rods and pistons the boss cranks will be balanced differently.

Users who are viewing this thread