Recap what we learned about the 11-14 Transmissions

eleanor5oh

Established Member
I'm a late adopter for cars, I like learning how reliable something is before buying. With that said I'm shopping for a new '14. I remember when the '11 came out everyone was complaining about the manual transmission being junk, not able to handle over 400rw-tq. The automatic was way way better if you wanted to go faster. Is it true now that was just a relatively minor thing isolated to a few bad apples at the very beginning? Is the '14 transmission alot better now that they fixed all the kinks out of it? I would hate to buy a new car with a crap transmission. I actually prefer automatics but for this kind of car I think you should have a manual. What are some of the facts we know now, after 3 or so years of data and information learned about these trannys?

There's also the extra incentive to go manual since only they can have the track pack with 3.73s and Torsen Diff. Are these worth it? Or would a 3.31 Auto with standard Diff not really drive much different? I know on Corvettes and Audi's S-cars the sport diff is a pretty big difference maker, but I'm not sure here.
Any info helps, thanks.

Last edited:

DNT H8

Established Member
My mt-82 manual has had 0 issues and I'm at 600+ hp and 40k miles, I do have a Barton and white line bushing on it... I'm not on the our manuals are junk bandwagon. Autos are faster down the drag strip, but boring on the street IMHO. If you do any autoX or SCCA an auto won't cut it... If you choose a auto you can always swap gear ratios that is a cheap and easy job.

Fernando@

Established Member
21k on mine and over 20 passes down the 1/4 mile with 0 issues. Best pass has been a 12.5

Need to tune and go back for more ;)

by9468840

Established Member
610rwhp/525lbft on mt82. 15k miles in total and last 5k with roush sc. Mt82 is still solid and running perfectly with a bit of whine. The whine however is there since first 500 miles.

eleanor5oh

Established Member
What is your intended use and goals with the car?

My original idea was just a friday or saturday night cruise car, eventually I'll my start DD'ing it to work as I get more used to owning the car and racking up miles. I probably won't be racing it at the drags, track, or auto-x, and if I do I can't see it being more than once or twice a year. I can see it being driven pretty aggressive on the street but that is about it.
So for these reasons I assumed I would want the manual with 3.73s and Torsen diff, suspension tuning, etc.
The only real concern was the reliability and power holding ability of the chinese transmission. Its easy to find good and bad on the internet, it's hard knowing which is more accurate information.

JpL4K3

Established Member
2014 with a Paxton blower and an MT82. Zero problems thus far. (11,xxx miles)

I did have the MGW shifter installed right after I purchased the car.

ICU 5.0

Established Member
I have a 2011 GT. After the mgw shifter and amsoil mtg, i have had absolutely no issues. Mine has over 42k of DD miles. A few trips to the track and two 1/2 mile events. I wouldnt be scared away from one at all. The MGW makes the shifts more mechanical and trustworthy. I had issues withthe car popping out of 3rd and minor 4th gear issues before said installs.

Stevenb913

Coyote
Established Member
Id say get the manual. Just get the whiteline transmission bushing, mgw shifter or barton 2 post shifter, you can also get your trans built by revolution auto. It's 899.00 for Stage 1 and 1899.00 for Stage 2. I think they charge $600 in labor to take it out of your car and install it.

nissenc1337

Established Member
My blue car had no issues at 35K my red car developed a 6th gear issue on the way home from Texas yesterday. So that'll get replaced under the extended warranty I have. However, I do plan to buy an MGW to go along with the new trans but I guess the bushing helps too? What benefit does it give?

50blackout

Established Member
stevenb193 has it right: get these for your mt82 and it will shift golden (almost like my old 98 bmw m3)
1)steeda transmission mount
2) whiteline bushing (just installed a week ago, made a big difference shifting at high speeds)
3) short shifter (optional if ya do the above)

eleanor5oh

Established Member
Thanks for the help, what differences do the mount make, and the same question for the bushing?

50blackout

Established Member
Shifter bushing (or barton bracket) will literary hold the shifter in place better ( Before I always felt I was going to grind going into gear if I wasn't extremely careful, this was not confidence inspiring)

Transmission mount bushing will help when cornering or shifting at high speeds and rapidly. Sometimes I would get locked out going into 3rd or 5th. Since I got this bushing my shifting has been ridiculously smooth.

Combined these two things make the mt82 the slick shifting transmission it was suppose to be

50blackout

Established Member
Also you'll read a lot of people say they have a slight NVH with the whiteline transmission mount bushing. If you cut a hole or circle say 1 or 2 inches in diameter that should cut the NVH (I did this and i cant tell the bushing is even there, other than the fact that my shifting has imoroved :)

numbnutz

Established Member
stevenb193 has it right: get these for your mt82 and it will shift golden (almost like my old 98 bmw m3)
1)steeda transmission mount
2) whiteline bushing (just installed a week ago, made a big difference shifting at high speeds)
3) short shifter (optional if ya do the above)

4) Amsoil fluid

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
stock shifter, stock bracket, stock fluid. 15k miles. bought the car new. other than being notchy when cold in the morning it shifts like butter. i do have a barton bracket I've been meaning to install...for 2 years. lol.

Users who are viewing this thread