Recaro or corbeau seat

marjor1973

Established Member
Hi! Im about to buy a mustang gt 2015 but i don't know if i should get it with recaro or after market corbeau to save some weight for the drag racing. What you guys think?

Tks in advance

Last edited:

CA Lightfoot

Established Member
Recaro seats are a factory option. But I'm pretty sure Corbeau seats are NOT a factory option.

And you're not thinking of installing Corbeau aftermarket seats, are you? Modern factory seats are an integral part of computer-controlled safety systems. Air bags, explosive pretensioners, sensors, etc... who knows what would happen if you tried to install an aftermarket seat? Warning lights, error codes. Maybe the engine won't even start!

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
I would not order the factory Recaros. I'll go into further detail in a future thread.

I showed my wife a car with the recaros in it today. she weighs all of 115lbs and she even said the seats were tight and wasnt a fan. I didnt mind them however I am glad I switched my order to the regular leather seats.

PC03GT

Established Member
That's weird. I'm about 230 and fit in my recaros no problem. They're awesome seats, great for long distance driving

5.0jake

Established Member
Recaro seats are a factory option. But I'm pretty sure Corbeau seats are NOT a factory option.

And you're not thinking of installing Corbeau aftermarket seats, are you? Modern factory seats are an integral part of computer-controlled safety systems. Air bags, explosive pretensioners, sensors, etc... who knows what would happen if you tried to install an aftermarket seat? Warning lights, error codes. Maybe the engine won't even start!

You are over thinking it. He will lose the airbag and power seat function. Many have swapped in aftermarket seats in their mustangs without issue.
BTW, the base 2015 GT seats are actually really good, imo. I really wished I had gotten the Recaros in my 2014 GT but with my 2015 I don't care and have been very content with the base seats (look and feel).

marjor1973

Established Member
i know the corbeau is not a factory option,
I WANT TO TAKE OUT SOME WEIGHT!!!!

CA Lightfoot

Established Member
You are over thinking it. He will lose the airbag and power seat function. Many have swapped in aftermarket seats in their mustangs without issue.
BTW, the base 2015 GT seats are actually really good, imo. I really wished I had gotten the Recaros in my 2014 GT but with my 2015 I don't care and have been very content with the base seats (look and feel).

Yup, I overthink stuff all the time.

Prove Me Wrong: Unplug the seats on your 2015 and tell us what happens. I'm guessing it's more complicated than previous-gen Mustangs.

BTW, I'm a big fan of late-model Mustang seats... many 12-hour drives in an '03 Mach 1. And I installed base '07 seats in my '66.

CA Lightfoot

Established Member
IMO a seat swap is not worth the cost & lost airbags just to save some weight... UNLESS you're a very serious drag-racer.

That is, maybe your Mustang is a dedicated track car. Then, you'll also want a racing harness, roll bar (maybe a cage), driveshaft loop, radiator catch can, helmet with HANS device, protective clothing, engine mods, exhaust, tune, clutch, rear gears, wheels & tires, etc etc etc.

And of course, depending on your ET, your local track might REQUIRE certain upgrades.

But I'm guessing your drag-racing is casual & infrequent. Just for fun. Then I'd keep your Mustang bone-stock -- at least for a little while. :)

alex12gt

Established Member
In for the thoughts because I'm in the same boat want a seat that holds me in well and interested if the recaros are worth the $$$ or corbeaus for half the price....would prolly be fixed position seats in my setup

marjor1973

Established Member
Tks

imo a seat swap is not worth the cost & lost airbags just to save some weight... Unless you're a very serious drag-racer.

That is, maybe your mustang is a dedicated track car. Then, you'll also want a racing harness, roll bar (maybe a cage), driveshaft loop, radiator catch can, helmet with hans device, protective clothing, engine mods, exhaust, tune, clutch, rear gears, wheels & tires, etc etc etc.

And of course, depending on your et, your local track might require certain upgrades.

But i'm guessing your drag-racing is casual & infrequent. Just for fun. Then i'd keep your mustang bone-stock -- at least for a little while. :)

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
i truly ended up switching my order based on the fact that they didnt come heated and cooled and powered. Dumb reasons perhaps but ive grown to love my heated and cooled seats in my FX4 and I love not having swap ass in the summer lol.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member

Lots of E92 M3 guys would swap out their seats for fancy recaros and they needed a $300 electronic module for EACH seat to turn off all the codes you'd throw for missing the airbags, weight sensors, etc in the seats.

That's weird. I'm about 230 and fit in my recaros no problem. They're awesome seats, great for long distance driving

Do you have a 2015? If not, your comments don't really apply here.

PC03GT

Established Member
Oh my fault. I guess the 15 recaros are totally different from the 13s and 14s

chao5.0

Established Member
keep in mind the factory Recaros have air bags built into them and if you put a seat in the car that doesn't have the air bags like factory and you get into an accident the insurance company can deny your claim because you removed a safety item from the car there for making it less safe. I spoke with my ins agent about swapping seats in my '13 to an aftermarket seat and he informed me that removing functioning air bags from a car is illegal and the ins can deny your claim if you get into an accident. to me saving weight isn't worth losing my coverage in case of an accident.

Users who are viewing this thread