Recent 2nd time termi owner, can you help ID my Whipple size and CAI brand?

Mit5005

Established Member
Hello there.
I bought this car off my dad but he didn't get any info from the previous owners about the mods they did. I want to get it tuned within the next couple weeks, but I wanted to try and find out some things about it beforehand.

From the pics attached, are you able to tell what size whipple is on it? Also I can't tell what brand of CAI it has. Honestly the previous owners did some shotty work on this car, so I wouldn't doubt it if it was a cheap ebay item. And is that little sensor the MAF sensor? I have never seen one that freely rotates in the intake tubing like this one does.

I'm having the issue where the car wants to die sometimes when coasting in neutral, so I either wanted to clean the MAF or even replace the CAI with a JLT RAI since this car is supposedly putting out 600 hp plus.

One last thing (sorry for so many questions), could the throttle cable not being aligned correctly (see last photo) cause the throttle to stick some at low rpms while in gear? I have read about this problem and I plan on cleaning the throttle body, but the cable alignment concerns me as well and I can't see any places to adjust the angle.

I appreciate any help!

J9pLpCe.jpg

JgWCr0z.jpg

389yC5k.jpg

Ek5vpGo.jpg

GodStang

Established Member
It is the 2.3L not sure if it is the original style or a gen I. Then intake looks custom.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Is that strut bar touching the Whipple? If no, how much space in there? We need a better pic showing the full engine bay. It's definitely a 2.3, pretty sure gen 2. No clue on the intake.

railroad

Established Member
If the strut brace is touching, just throw a couple of flat washers under it and retighten. Sensor should be oriented properly for air flow. Changing positions would be a tuners nightmare. Seems like there was something about the cruise control cable causing some sticking movement. You might be able to disconnect it and zip tie it out of the way for testing.

Last edited:

Mit5005

Established Member
The brace isn't touching, but probably only has about .2" clearance. If I don't race the car around a track, could I just remove it completely? Its touching the intake rubber joint a lot. The car also has subframe connectors (it's a vert).

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Yeah you can ditch the strut tower bar. I have a vert and have drove mine both with and without one. The handling is definitely tighter with it, but ride quality will get better without it, so it's a trade off.

cj428mach

Established Member
I believe its a gen 1 or gen 2 whipple, the early lysholm blowers have very thin ribs. If you take the serial number and call or email whipple then answer it for you.

Mit5005

Established Member
Finally removed it. It was literally mounted with 4 different types of fasteners, and mostly low quality ones.
And the intake was obviously not designed to fit with the brace installed.

t6TSs5B.jpg

dYscpiJ.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread