recomended RTV for shifter install?

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
I know its a silly question but what would be the best RTV to use when installing a new shifter or isnt it really that important? (ie tri-ax, pro 5.0 etc)

03outlaw

Established Member
Black RTV

I would just use regular black RTV. Unless of course there is some kind of awesome reusable gasket I am unaware of? But I kinda doubt it. Later

Got Incon?

Government Slave
Established Member
it doesnt matter what color, they all will work. Just buy sensor safe copper color and you can then use it on ANYTHING.

Joe Lynch

Established Member
And don't put very much on it. Very thin bead at most. Or just dab it and spread it with your finger. I don't even use it on the shifter any longer and it doesn't leak, so you don't need much unless you have some gouges in the mating surfaces.

I take my trans in and out several times/year, so I hate cleaning it up and redoing the sealer. Last couple of times I just put the shifter base back on after putting the tranny back in and it was fine. I think the sealer is more important on the base of the stamped steel stock shifter base than it is on the machined Steeda Tri-ax base, which seals up pretty good by itself.

Joe Lynch

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread