Recommend a cell phone

scott9050

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Tried the S8, my S7 edge is close enough that I would not spend hundreds extra to get it. My S7 edge has been damn near a perfect device.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
Could you note a few of the specific differences? Especially "smoother in every way". I will be upgrading my phone around September and will be considering an S8.

It's just snappier, I guess. Less lag when clicking on apps, the same apps seem to load faster, etc. It also handles multi-tasking with no slowdown.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I went and bought the S7 the day it came out.

Huge mistake. The thing fell all to crap and made me sad. Got blistering hot and didn't hold up for shit. Battery life was awful too.

I love both iOS and Android as i've been elbows deep in both. It's frustrating that you can't assume Android phones are all solid software/hardware wise. You really have to be picky and careful with them.

I'll say it, and please don't start a war as I do love droid, but my iPhones have held up to gas, coolant, salt water, greasy finger prints, and the like. Currently running with an iPhone 7 (regular 128gb) and it's been a tank.

If Android ever comes out with something that I can use reliably, I'll probably make the switch. Or if Apple finally releases and iMessage app.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I went and bought the S7 the day it came out.

Huge mistake. The thing fell all to crap and made me sad. Got blistering hot and didn't hold up for shit. Battery life was awful too.

I love both iOS and Android as i've been elbows deep in both. It's frustrating that you can't assume Android phones are all solid software/hardware wise. You really have to be picky and careful with them.

I'll say it, and please don't start a war as I do love droid, but my iPhones have held up to gas, coolant, salt water, greasy finger prints, and the like. Currently running with an iPhone 7 (regular 128gb) and it's been a tank.

If Android ever comes out with something that I can use reliably, I'll probably make the switch. Or if Apple finally releases and iMessage app.
Samsung is crap. My LG was great. I like my iPhone as well.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
My Turbo charges completely is 15 minutes or so not just 20% of the way. ;)

0 to 100% in 15 minutes? Really? I'm not sure I've ever seen any kind of battery work like that.

How long does a charge last?

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Pixel XL

I have a Nexus 6P and the pure android stuff is far better, will order an XL eventually. Having no bloatware, I haven't had to root and rom a phone for the first time in 10 years.

08mojo

Established Member
0 to 100% in 15 minutes? Really? I'm not sure I've ever seen any kind of battery work like that.

How long does a charge last?

I'm not buying it... I'm guessing it was a false peak. Charging that fast would beat the absolute crap out of that battery. The heat alone from charging that fast would seriously degrade the battery.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm not buying it... I'm guessing it was a false peak. Charging that fast would beat the absolute crap out of that battery. The heat alone from charging that fast would seriously degrade the battery.

The heat is what I was thinking of...but I have no reason to doubt what he said.

08mojo

Established Member
The heat is what I was thinking of...but I have no reason to doubt what he said.

Not that I really care, but I have a few minutes between meetings:

"How long to charge a droid Turbo?

But there is a silver lining: The 15-watt Turbo Charger that comes in the box can recharge the phone from zero to full battery in about two hours. And when the battery is "substantially depleted" the Turbo Charger can add up to 8 hours in 15 minutes."

But still, 8 hours of use for 15 minutes of charge is awesome!

Never_Enough

Established Member
Doubt me all you want. Why would I lie? lol
Yes, the phone does get hotter than usual during turbocharge.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Not that I really care, but I have a few minutes between meetings:

"How long to charge a droid Turbo?

But there is a silver lining: The 15-watt Turbo Charger that comes in the box can recharge the phone from zero to full battery in about two hours. And when the battery is "substantially depleted" the Turbo Charger can add up to 8 hours in 15 minutes."

But still, 8 hours of use for 15 minutes of charge is awesome!
Well, when the battery is fully charged, it stops charging & has always only taken minutes. *shrug*

08mojo

Established Member
Doubt me all you want. Why would I lie? lol
Yes, the phone does get hotter than usual during turbocharge.

I didn't think you were lying, and I did not intend my post to come across as calling you a liar. I spend too much time around batteries (do a lot of work with off-grid electrical applications), but I only know enough to be dangerous. A lot of people are mislead regarding the capabilities of batteries--especially when it comes to rapid charging and discharging.

Never_Enough

Established Member
I didn't think you were lying, and I did not intend my post to come across as calling you a liar. I spend too much time around batteries (do a lot of work with off-grid electrical applications), but I only know enough to be dangerous. A lot of people are mislead regarding the capabilities of batteries--especially when it comes to rapid charging and discharging.
It's all good. :)

Never_Enough

Established Member
I played w/the Turbo 2, Moto Z Force & S7 (They didn't have an S8) in a Verizon store today. Aside from the physical size & feel, they all seemed like the same damn thing. I like that the S8+ has the better camera, but I dislike the fact that it is the most fragile & expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread