Recommend me a new H or X pipe, my current setup is too loud!

Nivekk

Established Member
Hey guys, I'm new to the forums and I'm looking for a little advice. I recently purchased a '03 Cobra. Been lurking these forums for about a year now, and finally have something to post about.

The current exhaust setup is as follows:
Mac LT Headers
Mac O/R H-pipe
Magnapack catback

The setup sounds great, if a little raspy, but its just way way too loud especially for the little quiet town I live in. I can barely even hear the Eaton at all at WOT because of how loud it is. It does drone a bit on the highway too, and at nearly any percentage of throttle between 2-3k RPM it growls with a distinctly loud rasp.

I'd like to find a setup that'll be quieter at just cruising around town but will still give me a nice loud growl at WOT. Would you guys recommend a catted H-pipe to combat the loudness, or would swapping the catback out instead be a better move? If so, what brand would sound good with this setup?

Thanks for any advice, I really appreciate it! :beer:

Last edited:

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
the easiest way to make the car a bit quieter with out hacking up your whole system would be to replace the cat back.

Those magnapacks are a straight through muffler design, you might want to look at a baffled cat back like Bassani. This will help to make it a more mellow tone instead of harsh like you have now.

Good luck!!

Fireguy615

Mom! The Meatloaf!
Established Member
Ah, see, now that's no good...no-one wants to drown out that blessed sound called blower whine. That's the best sound our cars can make:rockon:

Adding cats will help you out a bit. Tailpipe baffles can also help. Bassani is also a "straight-thru" design, but they may have more fiberglass packing in them than the Magnapacks.

You already have an H pipe so maybe switching to a "chambered" style muffler like Mac of Flowies can also help.

So I think you have a few options. The cheapest would be either the tail baffles or swapping mufflers. If you find a muffler with similar dimensions and offset, and a good exhaust guy, you can just do those and save the dough on doing the whole catback. Just an idea.

Nivekk

Established Member
You already have an H pipe so maybe switching to a "chambered" style muffler like Mac of Flowies can also help.

So I think you have a few options. The cheapest would be either the tail baffles or swapping mufflers. If you find a muffler with similar dimensions and offset, and a good exhaust guy, you can just do those and save the dough on doing the whole catback. Just an idea.

I visited the Lethal Performance website to check out some product, but I couldn't seem to find any catted Mac H-pipes. I found the prochambered ones, and the shorty ones for use with my longtubes, but no catted ones. I guess Mac doesn't make catted H-pipes or Lethal just doesn't carry them.

I wonder if I could bypass having to swap mufflers and just swap catbacks with someone instead. Maybe I could make a post in the market and offer cash on top for a trade on a Mac catback.

Grabbing a Mac catback to make for a completely Mac exhaust system sounds appealing, and from the youtube videos I've been watching I really like how it sounds. The only problem is that it will still be a challenge for me to find someone to pass inspection for me since the car has no cats.

So Mac LT's, Mac H, and a Mac catback. Anyone have a setup like this who can chime in on how it sounds and the fitment?

svt2ner

Established Member
This is about what youre after, mac lt, mac h or prochamber (cant remember which and pretty sure they are catless) and mac catback [ame=http://videos.streetfire.net/video/2003-SVT-Cobra-with-Mac_68738.htm]2003 SVT Cobra with Mac Exhaust,,,In the Driveway - Video[/ame]

He is on this board.

The mac tips are easy to take off to clean and polish too, takes about 2 minutes total to take them off, remove the clamp and a bolt on each side and slide off. Best cat-back imo and easy to adjust.

864svt