Recommend new Tires

GIDIEUP

Established Member
Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could recommend some tires for my 99 Cobra. I have the original Comp TA ZRs on there now and have been pretty happy with them. I called a few places and the salesperson I spoke with recommended the Sumitomo HTR Z2 tires. What would everyone else recommend. I want something that is going to handle well like the original tires, if not better. The price quoted on a set of Sumitomo was very resonable. They also recommended the GForce tires. Not much research done in this yet, but any input would be great.

Cheers :beer:
Ryan

moonltgold

If you're staying with same size as OEM (245's), and are interested in one of the best handling tires (street or autocross), that's quieter than anything out there, and will not squeal, check out Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Positions. They are very sticky (220 wear factor). If you're interested in drag racing, then I'll let someone else give you a recommendation as that's not my area. Good luck.

Moonlt ‘01 True Blue Coupe
#813 of 3867 (5/7/01)

278.6 rwhp SAE, 286.3 rwtq (silencer removed, Flowmasters)
298.2 rwhp SAE, 291.4 rwtq (n/a mods below)

Mods
Magnaflow X-pipe w/cats and Magnaflow catback w/Bassani 3.5” baffles, March UDP, C&L 80 MAF/K&N, FRPP 3.73s w/Brother’s SpeedCal, ’03 Cobra aluminum flywheel & clutch assembly, Steeda Tri-ax, PST carbon fiber DS, ’03 Cobra IRS pinion cross brace, Steeda IRS pinion bushings, MM IRS poly subframe bushings, Eibach Pro-kit springs w/poly spring isolators, offset rack bushings, MM c/c plates, '03 Cobra (Bilstein) struts/shocks, Bridgestone Potenza SO3 PPs, FR500 steering wheel

GIDIEUP

Established Member
Originally posted by moonlt
If you're staying with same size as OEM (245's), and are interested in one of the best handling tires (street or autocross), that's quieter than anything out there, and will not squeal, check out Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Positions. They are very sticky (220 wear factor). If you're interested in drag racing, then I'll let someone else give you a recommendation as that's not my area. Good luck.

Moonlt ‘01 True Blue Coupe
#813 of 3867 (5/7/01)

278.6 rwhp SAE, 286.3 rwtq (silencer removed, Flowmasters)
298.2 rwhp SAE, 291.4 rwtq (n/a mods below)

Mods
Magnaflow X-pipe w/cats and Magnaflow catback w/Bassani 3.5” baffles, March UDP, C&L 80 MAF/K&N, FRPP 3.73s w/Brother’s SpeedCal, ’03 Cobra aluminum flywheel & clutch assembly, Steeda Tri-ax, PST carbon fiber DS, ’03 Cobra IRS pinion cross brace, Steeda IRS pinion bushings, MM IRS poly subframe bushings, Eibach Pro-kit springs w/poly spring isolators, offset rack bushings, MM c/c plates, '03 Cobra (Bilstein) struts/shocks, Bridgestone Potenza SO3 PPs, FR500 steering wheel
Thanks for your reply. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Cheers:beer:
Ryan

blk96SVT

Established Member
I have BFG GForce KDW's on the rear, 245/45/17 and with my 4.30's on the street I think they hook pretty well! Kind of expensive like the Bridgestones mentioned above though, I got 2 of them for under 300, but would have been more, but of course, I know someone who gets deals on tires!!

Tim

GIDIEUP

Established Member
Originally posted by blk96SVT
I have BFG GForce KDW's on the rear, 245/45/17 and with my 4.30's on the street I think they hook pretty well! Kind of expensive like the Bridgestones mentioned above though, I got 2 of them for under 300, but would have been more, but of course, I know someone who gets deals on tires!!

Tim

I hear you Tim. I forgot. I have a pair of BFG GForce KDW's on the rear of my Cobra. They are a nice tire and are generally about 250 a piece. The only thing I do not like about the GForce is the tread design. It really doesn't look that apealing.

Ryan

lzr red Cobra

Established Member
i was told at a tire shop that the BFG Comp T/A's were being discontinued and he sold me 4 new ones for $89 each to help clear inventory, he said the K series is taking their place

CobraKhan

Established Member
Originally posted by GIDIEUP
Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could recommend some tires for my 99 Cobra. I have the original Comp TA ZRs on there now and have been pretty happy with them. I called a few places and the salesperson I spoke with recommended the Sumitomo HTR Z2 tires. What would everyone else recommend. I want something that is going to handle well like the original tires, if not better. The price quoted on a set of Sumitomo was very resonable. They also recommended the GForce tires. Not much research done in this yet, but any input would be great.

Ryan

I currently run the BFGoodrich GForce KDW tires with my mods listed below. Very nice performance tire, great dry and in the rain. They are a big difference from the stock Comp T/As. While I have no experience with Sumitomo HTR Z2 tires, I did run 2 Sumitomo HTR+ tires on the back for winter weather. They are also good tires. Both are definately better than the stock tires.

Nordi

I'll never grow up!
Established Member
I would recommend Toyo Proxes T1-S. I personally have never owned a better tire period for wet or dry handling.

Trblmkr

Established Member
I just replaced my original factory tires. After a lot of looking and asking on here, and with the help of other boards I decided on...

Mich Pilot Sports A/S

So far I've only got about 500 miles on them, and the ride is smoother, more quiet and much improved over the TA Comps. Best decision I've made so far.:burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread