recommendation on replacement tires

islandmon

Established Member
We have almost 11,000 miles on the 03 Cobra now and ned new tires. The wife unit and I both drive pretty agressively (imagine that) and we have had four runs on a 1/4 mile strip. We have rotated the tires twice so far but the F-1's deteriorated very rapidly the last 2000 miles. The runs @ Bradenton actually were done on the tires that are now on the front which are in much better shape than the rear tires.

I have been considering Nitto's street tire, Michelin Pilots, Dunlop SP Sport 9000, and several others. We live in Florida and very seldom drive the car in the rain, however, you never know here when you are going to get caught having to drive home in the rain.

We do not intend to drag the car although we are going to run Sebring in May with SVTOA. I want a tire that offers superior handling and with decent tread life. I was surpised the original Goodyears went so fast.

I would appreciate any recommendations you folks might have.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
BGF KD's, even though they are owned by the pussy French.

Whoops, did I type out that part about the French? :lol:

B-O-B'03

Established Member
Some one posted this link a while ago

<click me>

Looks like the Eagle F1 GS-D3 was the winner??

-Brian

islandmon

Established Member
Thanks - a decision has been reached

I just ordered the Goodyear F-1 GS-D3 from tirerack.com. They'll go on next week and I will post my impressions. I had looked at these in my research.
Thanks all for the advice.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Re: Thanks - a decision has been reached

Originally posted by islandmon
I just ordered the Goodyear F-1 GS-D3 from tirerack.com. They'll go on next week and I will post my impressions. I had looked at these in my research.
Thanks all for the advice.

I can't WAIT to hear what you think!! I'm excited for you! haha

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
I'm almost afraid to ask ...

How much for a set of 4 on the 03 Cobra?

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
I just put a couple of these on the other day...
yo_avs_es_100.jpg

Yoko's AVS-ES100. I only have 2 in the front now, I'm still having fun burning my F-1's down to nothing. So far not a bad tire, quiet and handle good tool. Price is only $123 each.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Originally posted by OverToad
Off topic here (sorry), but I didn't want to reveal the full extent of my stupidity :D

Can the stock sized tires, such as these, fit on a 10.5 rear rim?

I have doubts about that.

Even if they did they'd look swallowed up by the rim and performance would VERY likely suffer, or you'd roll them into the wheel under hard cornering.

I'd ask AFS what the smallest tire they'd recommend is.

I bet it's at least 295.

OverToad

Established Member
Sly, thanks. However, shockingly enough, THE SEARCH ENGINE IS BACK UP, and I just now found a post that quoted the sales guy from AFS. He said the stock tires WILL work on the 10.5" rims.
Seeing as how our stockers are actually 9.5" in the rear, as opposed to 9", I think it's safe.

EDIT:

Here's a snip from the email:

"Thanks for your inquiry! We are making the ’03 Cobra rim in 17x10.5. They are on the way here from the factory and should be read to ship out the 1st week of January. You can use the 17x10.5 on your ’03 Cobra with IRS with a 275/40-17 or 285/40-17 tire."

Last edited:

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Sly, thanks. However, shockingly enough, THE SEARCH ENGINE IS BACK UP, and I just now found a post that quoted the sales guy from AFS. He said the stock tires WILL work on the 10.5" rims.
Seeing as how our stockers are actually 9.5" in the rear, as opposed to 9", I think it's safe.

EDIT:

Here's a snip from the email:

"Thanks for your inquiry! We are making the ’03 Cobra rim in 17x10.5. They are on the way here from the factory and should be read to ship out the 1st week of January. You can use the 17x10.5 on your ’03 Cobra with IRS with a 275/40-17 or 285/40-17 tire."

Our stock wheels are 9" front and rear bro. Be careful.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Roger that :thumbsup:

If I go that route, and they don't fit, it'd just be a shame to have to buy some 315's for the rear :coolman:

heh

You know you want to.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread