Recommendations for a quiet exhaust with x-pipe

JeffCooper

Established Member
Howdee folks! So I had this brain storm about a year ago. I wanted a quiet, but ballsy exhaust upgrade for my 03 Cobra. So I discarded my stock H-pipe and replaced it with a Bassani x-pipe. I kept the stock-pipes and mufflers. It sounds pretty good, but it's almost a little too quiet. Sheeesh. So I thougtht might add a full catback with the x-pipe, but Im worried anything I do will be too loud. Im scared of catbacks with names like "loudmouth" or the look of the SLP catback with what I deem are your basic bullet (no) mufflers. :)

I think the exhaust note I dream about is pretty quiet putt-putting around town or cruising at 75-80mph, but nasty, throaty, and raspy when I get on it. I think I like that more then a "deep" sounding exhaust. I also like all those pops and crackles on the decelleration side, especially on the downshift. Right now, my cobra sounds like a sewing machine... Its so smooth and balanced. I wanna ruff it up a bit, but still not shatter windows. Oh and I want stainless.

Suggestions??

10sec89

Established Member
My old set up with a off road H pipe and magnaflows(not the magnapacks) was like what you want. Fairly quiet on a cruise but screamed under acceleration. They were too loud for me on accel though so I changed set ups.

Seabiscuit

GIDDY-UP!!!
Established Member
Jeff,

Any aftermarket piping that you put on will be louder. This is pretty much a given. With that said, there are varying degrees of loudness. Lets go thru and get a baseline of understanding.

1. Mid pipe--a off-road mid pipe will be louder than a catted mid pipe. An x-pipe will usually have a higher pitch associated with it (most would describe it as exotic/European/raspy). An H-pipe will have a deeper, old school muscle car sound to it. A Prochamber will have the flow of an X combined with the deepness of an H.

2. Cat back--other than stock, the quietest catback you used to be able to buy was FR500 catback. It is no longer produced. If you can find one, they are worth their weight in gold. From there, the consensus is usually the Borla quiet catback(same as Steeda just different tips). Magnaflow comes next (not the magnacks). People will argue which catback comes after but they are starting to get a little loud at this point.

I would suggest that you google the exhaust setup you are thinking about and see what pops in the video section in relation to our cars.

For the sake of argument, I run the stock exhaust headers, a catted Magnaflow mid pipe and a Steeda catback. I believe this to be the setup you are looking for. The Steeda keeps the drone to a minimum while still being a straight thru muffler--quiet while still giving the customer max performance. Combined with the catted mid pipe, it is quiet enough to have conversation in the car when not on full throttle but but loud enough to command attention when you "goose" it.

There are others that have gone the extra mile to create some very impressive one "one-off" setups. Hopefully they can chime in and give you their opinion as well.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

ctgreddy

Established Member
My old set up with a off road H pipe and magnaflows(not the magnapacks) was like what you want. Fairly quiet on a cruise but screamed under acceleration. They were too loud for me on accel though so I changed set ups.

x2! I have this same catback, magnaflow kit with mufflers, not magnapacks and it was great. quiet at idle, pretty quiet at cruising while a mixture of loud/quiet under normal acceleration, and screamed at wot. I ended up switching to bassani over this past winter just for a change, I can never keep a catback for more than a few months and I just want to try something different.

quik cobra

Established Member
Howdee folks! So I had this brain storm about a year ago. I wanted a quiet, but ballsy exhaust upgrade for my 03 Cobra. So I discarded my stock H-pipe and replaced it with a Bassani x-pipe. I kept the stock-pipes and mufflers. It sounds pretty good, but it's almost a little too quiet. Sheeesh. So I thougtht might add a full catback with the x-pipe, but Im worried anything I do will be too loud. Im scared of catbacks with names like "loudmouth" or the look of the SLP catback with what I deem are your basic bullet (no) mufflers. :)

I think the exhaust note I dream about is pretty quiet putt-putting around town or cruising at 75-80mph, but nasty, throaty, and raspy when I get on it. I think I like that more then a "deep" sounding exhaust. I also like all those pops and crackles on the decelleration side, especially on the downshift. Right now, my cobra sounds like a sewing machine... Its so smooth and balanced. I wanna ruff it up a bit, but still not shatter windows. Oh and I want stainless.

Suggestions??
I have the Bassani catted x-pipe with SLP Loudmouth 2 and it is everything you describe that you want EXCEPT

"I think the exhaust note I dream about is pretty quiet ... or cruising at 75-80mph"

It's still fairly loud but my fairly loud might be different than yours.

JeffCooper

Established Member
Thank you ALL for your valuable feedback and guidance! One of our fellow members lives here locally and had a SS bassani system. Being of the school of "there is a system to these things", it seemed that this might be a good start...so I pulled the trigger this afternoon. Unfortunately it will take a few weeks for me to install it, as i just had my ankle replaced. I will definitely post my comments/thoughts once Im up and running. Even with the baffles/inserts in place, I expect its going to be loud as snot. In review, Ill have an off-road X-pipe and the catback, but stock manifolds. Vrooom!!!

ReVviNg HiGh

Rev it up!
Established Member
I have magnaflow on my 03 and 04. My 03 now with long tubes and catted x. It's smooth and tame during normal driving but when you rip on it it wakes up and can hear it. Even with long tubes it's still quiet. My vote is magnaflow. It's probable the cleanest sounding system.

I had stingers, slp, magnaflow and magnaflow is the best for what your looking for.

From time to time I think about borla stingers or atak as that's my favorite 4v exhaust note.

Last edited:

40mpgH8r

Cobra Newb
Established Member
My exhaust was deep sounding but it was definitely loud when I got on it. My youtube video has a sound of the exhaust listed in my signature if you want to get an idea.

A friend of mine had SLP Loudmouth on his c6 and sometimes alarms would go off when he drove by them. Too loud for me but funny. Haha.

TerminatedGT

Established Member

Suggestions??
MAC's flow path is not bad at all at cruse I love my dyno max catback I have now

Users who are viewing this thread