Recommendations on a new clutch

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
I am looking to get a new clutch this week and I need recommendations from those of you who have aftermarket clutches. I did some searches and all I really found was a Spec ii clutch with different components. If any of you have bought them , could you please let me know what part numbers and where you got the best deal.

Also, I've heard about the clutch chattering with some aftermarket clutches, have any of you experienced this. Thanks in advance.

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
Well, the most in torque I may go with now would be around 520. Spec State 2 has a torque capacity of 530. I am thinking about the Stage 3 in case I go with a Works or Kenne Bell in the future though. It's only a 30 dollar difference, but I'm not sure if there will be any differance in the way the clutch feels.

Last edited:

DSF

Warranty? Whats that?
Established Member
installed spec 2,3 and 5's . there is not much difference between the 2 and three as far as driveability goes. The spec 5 is not very streetable, but it does hold. spend a couple more bucks and get the spec 3. Get a quadrant and firewall adjuster.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I would highly recommend replacing the input shaft with the Liberty 26-spline unit if you are going with a stronger clutch. A stronger clutch will twist the weak 10-spline input shaft. Most people I have talken to recommend the Centerforce dual-friction clutch if you are pushing 500 rwhp or less or the McLeon twin disk if you are running more then that.

eod guy

Established Member
I am getting a Spec 3 put in this week, I'll let you know how it goes. As DFS said for a few more $ I picked the 3 over the 2.

The chattering that I have heard of was usualy caused by impropre break-in. my 2 cents.

Last edited:

B03Cobra

SVT G0D
Established Member
What brand and part numbers are you guys going with? Are these complete kits with TOB's and junk too? I really need a new clutch, dealer told me he would put in the spec III instead of stocker for warrenty work for the labor.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
I got my self the SpecII.....Clutch feel is very light & equals to the feel of a Focus Clutch.

Holding...the power fine & with 550rwtq @ 2500rpm it moves.
Chatter...yes but only in Neutral & totally acceptable for me.
Squeal...just a little but only 10% of the time VS all the time when i first had it....doesnt like stop & go traffice.

I dont regret it....but i would do what Toofast4u suggest if ur going to go with any much STRONGER Clutch. Its a pretty small price to pay to upgrade the Input Shafts to the 26spline.

Imperial Pose

Winning Is A Habit
Established Member
RV,
I'm in the market as well, and have been doing similar research. A lot of info also on modularfords.com site. Right now for my application I'm considering a Spec 3, McLeod, or an automatic.

Good luck!

I am getting a Spec 3 put in this week, I'll let you know how it goes.
Subscribing

dealer told me he would put in the spec III instead of stocker for warrenty work for the labor.
Sweet

MODCOBRA

Established Member
no Spec's for me

I have not had very good luck with the Spec clutches, but I know that others have. I burnt up a Stage 4 on the dyno and a Stage 5 at the Modular Shootout. This was my old 98 Cobra that was making considerably more HP than I am making now.

I have recently replaced my burnt stocker clutch with a Clutchmasters Stage III Kevlar piece. This is without a doubt the nicest clutch I have had the priviledge of owning.

There is zero chatter.
Extremely light pedal feel
The throw is much shorter
And....grabs like a mofo...I highly recommend it.

Clutchmaster tech told me this clutch is good for 750 crank HP.

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
Hmm...who much are you guys paying for the clutches? Same as the Spec webpage?

Here's the part numbers I'm considering
Spec State 3 SF873 $359
Aluminum Flywheel SF84A $369

Toofast4u, any websites with the spline or centerforce clutch, I'd like to research those.

Also, I noticed this
Remove rotating mass with our lightweight clutch option for $79

Anyone know what that is?

Last edited:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
You can get the 26 spline input shaft from Liberty Gears. They are in Taylor, Michigan.
I ordered mine today. $240 + shipping.
313-278-4040

CenterForce has their own Website:
centerforce.com

If you choose them, the Dual Friction is probably the one from their selection to use.
They have some sales help that can discuss this with you.

Dana

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Hammer at modular fords has fried more clutches than most of us combined looking for one that can hold the power of the KB and still be streetable. The spec 2,3 and 3i are all history. If you plan on going with a KB your going to need something beefier. The McLeod twin disk seems to be the favorite right now. Keep in mind that if you get a clutch that grabs you better get an input shaft that can handle it. (ie swap out 10 spline for 26 spline unit when tranny is out for clutch, you will also need a clutch for the 26 spline as well). As it sits right now I think I will be going with the McLeod as well, my stock clutch is slipping bad when I get on it, she just cant handle the brute force of the KB.

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
The only thing that sucks, is that mine is slipping to the point that it's almost undrivable and I need to make a decision very soon. I havn't heard of anyone using the centerforce with an 03 application, but I do know they make excellent clutches. Hammer says he is waiting to install one, but I don't know if I have the time to wait for it.

The Mcleod sounds like the install may be tricky since you have to shim it or something.

I understand that the SPEC 3 might not work on a 700 RWHP car like Hammers, but I don't think I'll ever get that high on mine. Even if I go with a KB or works, I don't see that happening for another year or too. I'm wondering if the SPEC 3 would work for me now.

How much more work is involved in changing the splin input shaft?

Last edited:

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Originally posted by Dana
You can get the 26 spline input shaft from Liberty Gears. They are in Taylor, Michigan.
I ordered mine today. $240 + shipping.
313-278-4040

CenterForce has their own Website:
centerforce.com

If you choose them, the Dual Friction is probably the one from their selection to use.
They have some sales help that can discuss this with you.

Dana

What clutch are you going with? It is almost that time for me.

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
Originally posted by Shadowgray03
Hammer at modular fords has fried more clutches than most of us combined looking for one that can hold the power of the KB and still be streetable. The spec 2,3 and 3i are all history. If you plan on going with a KB your going to need something beefier. The McLeod twin disk seems to be the favorite right now. Keep in mind that if you get a clutch that grabs you better get an input shaft that can handle it. (ie swap out 10 spline for 26 spline unit when tranny is out for clutch, you will also need a clutch for the 26 spline as well). As it sits right now I think I will be going with the McLeod as well, my stock clutch is slipping bad when I get on it, she just cant handle the brute force of the KB.

agree 100% on the mcleod twin disc.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Originally posted by bassin247
What clutch are you going with? It is almost that time for me.
Actually I'm torn between the Mcleod twin disc and the Dual Friction by Centerforce. I am leaning towards the Centerforce though. Both companies have good reputations.

Since I have the solid axle installed, slipping the clutch on launch is much less an issue than someone that still has the IRS.

CenterForce is developing a new aluminum flywheel to work with the Cobra, but the clutch is supposed to be the same as now. They claim it will take the HP levels most of us are or will soon be at easily.
I may not wait for the aluminum wheel and just get the steel wheel. This may be another one of those 2 more weeks things, I think.
Several guys are currently testing both products and I have been kinda holding back,waiting for some results. With winter upon us now, it may be a little longer.

The input shaft is supposed to be a simple install, and I believe it is, after speaking with the guy from Liberty Gears. Final end clearance is the only touchy area. Anyone with some trans experience should be able to do it in 30 minutes or less.
I'll know more this weekend.
MJCHIP did his recently, and although he went deeper into the trans, he can probably post some more info on just the input shaft swap.
I'll take a few pics so those that are considering doing it will know what is involved.

Dana

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
I feel your pain Dana. I need a clutch yesterday and with all this stuff coming out it's making things more difficult. I heard aluminum flywheel is the way to go. I am seriously considering the Centerforce myself though.

Users who are viewing this thread