Red light cameras in Miami, Florida

Ralph50

Speed Addict
Established Member
I have been searching but haven't found much info on red light camera laws or how the actual tickets are issued.

My main questions are:

1. Does the front or the back of the car have to clear the crosswalk or the white line at the far end of the intersection before the light turns red?

2. If I see the red light as i go through the intersection does it mean I got a ticket?

3. If I am making a left turn and have to wait for oncoming traffic to stop when the light turns red will I be ticketed?

4. What if the light turns red and I am blocking the intersection as happens many times in bumper to bumper traffic?

5. Do I have to come to a complete stop for 3 seconds when making a right turn with the red light?

The reason for my concern is because The City of Miami has installed red light cameras on the most hellacious stretch of US1 which just happens to be in my area.

I can't avoid a street that is one block from my house.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
pretty sure its being in the intersection while the light is red that will get you a ticket.

My friend got one in Orlando and the pic of his plate was as he just crossed over the white line at the beginning of the intersection.

2, 3, and 4 are all illegal. Though #4 is blocking an interesction.

I'm not a lawyer...lol I'm guessing from what I recall from school

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I have been searching but haven't found much info on red light camera laws or how the actual tickets are issued.

My main questions are:

1. Does the front or the back of the car have to clear the crosswalk or the white line at the far end of the intersection before the light turns red?

2. If I see the red light as i go through the intersection does it mean I got a ticket?

3. If I am making a left turn and have to wait for oncoming traffic to stop when the light turns red will I be ticketed?

4. What if the light turns red and I am blocking the intersection as happens many times in bumper to bumper traffic?

5. Do I have to come to a complete stop for 3 seconds when making a right turn with the red light?

The reason for my concern is because The City of Miami has installed red light cameras on the most hellacious stretch of US1 which just happens to be in my area.

Florida law holds that you must not be in the intersection when the light turns red. Check out Fla. Stat. 316.075

Also here is an article that discusses Miami's red light cameras and their locations.

New Red-Light focus cameras to catch violators - Coconut Grove - MiamiHerald.com

Digital

Established Member

My main questions are:

They suck don't they? I know exactly the strip you're talking about. I'm 5 min from it =/
I goosed it through a yellow a couple weeks back right by seminal hard rock and got my car lit up by the tower of sorrow. We'll see how that pans out. The waiting kinda sucks.
I think they are such jokes anyways. It's been proven that if you extend the yellow and increase the wait time for the green after the red that you can greatly reduce accidents. Instead they shorten the yellow and add cameras.

Last edited:

MightyMo

Established Member
The legality of those "revenue" tools has faced a lot of legal challenge in many cities. Where I live, they just took the camera's down a year ago. There were too many law suits against the city and too many people challenging their tickets in traffic court. From there it turned political. Local leaders were scrutinized by local media and soon the camera's were being vandalized.

Digital

Established Member
The legality of those "revenue" tools has faced a lot of legal challenge in many cities. Where I live, they just took the camera's down a year ago. There were too many law suits against the city and too many people challenging their tickets in traffic court. From there it turned political. Local leaders were scrutinized by local media and soon the camera's were being vandalized.

Ah.. violent resistance to oppression. That I like.

Ralph50

Speed Addict
Established Member

There is no venue to challenge these tickets that I know of in my area.

Isn't there something in The Constitution about due process???

If I am not mistaken, and I very well may be, your property cannot be taken from you without due process.

This property may include contracts, real property, stocks bonds and other assets.

The government is reaching directly into your pocket and taking money out???

I stopped on the crosswalk yesterday and the lines on that crosswalk were really, really faded and not clear till you got right on it.

Should I expect a ticket in the mail???

FordSVTFan

Established Member
There is no venue to challenge these tickets that I know of in my area.

Isn't there something in The Constitution about due process???

If I am not mistaken, and I very well may be, your property cannot be taken from you without due process.

This property may include contracts, real property, stocks bonds and other assets.

The government is reaching directly into your pocket and taking money out???

I stopped on the crosswalk yesterday and the lines on that crosswalk were really, really faded and not clear till you got right on it.

Should I expect a ticket in the mail???

Of course there is a venue to challenge the ticket, read the reverse side of it and it tells you who to contact.

Also, these aren't criminal tickets and contain no points, they are purely civil in nature.

Due process only requires notice and a hearing. The ticket is your notice and the way to oppose it is on the back.

Dont you thing the legislature had their attorney's consider all these things before writing the law? Don't you think the opposition posed these or similar questions?

Ralph50

Speed Addict
Established Member
Of course there is a venue to challenge the ticket, read the reverse side of it and it tells you who to contact.

Also, these aren't criminal tickets and contain no points, they are purely civil in nature.

Due process only requires notice and a hearing. The ticket is your notice and the way to oppose it is on the back.

Dont you thing the legislature had their attorney's consider all these things before writing the law? Don't you think the opposition posed these or similar questions?

I have yet to receive one. I don't even want to know what they look like.

And yes I would think their attorneys took a long hard look at what has been going on in different municipalities.

My cousin just got one and she told me there is no way to challenge it. It was her husband driving her car.

She has to fill out an affidavit stating who was driving at the time of the violation.

I just wish I had more info.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
I have yet to receive one. I don't even want to know what they look like.

And yes I would think their attorneys took a long hard look at what has been going on in different municipalities.

My cousin just got one and she told me there is no way to challenge it. It was her husband driving her car.

She has to fill out an affidavit stating who was driving at the time of the violation.

I just wish I had more info.

That is a way to challenge it.

Users who are viewing this thread