reflashing computer question

aaron427

Established Member
My computer has been reflashed, and I now have a predator. So I need to have the stock computer reflashed back to stock before using the predator. Can any ford dealer do this? How much does it cost?

aaron427

Established Member
does anyone know? My car goes in the shop next week and I would like to get this done before I put it in. thanks.

cobraracer46

Banned
A computer reflashed by Ford will not block an upload by a hand held flash tuner like a preditor. If a vehicle is taken in to Ford for a reflash, a technician will reprogram the computer to the latest calibration since going back to the original progam the car had when it rolled off the assembly line is not somthing the Ford programmer in a dealer shop can do. If your preditor deos not work, Either it is "married" to some other Cobra computer or the dignostic port crurcuit where you plug in the flash tuner has a fault. :burnout: :burnout:

aaron427

Established Member
cobraracer46 said:
A computer reflashed by Ford will not block an upload by a hand held flash tuner like a preditor. If a vehicle is taken in to Ford for a reflash, a technician will reprogram the computer to the latest calibration since going back to the original progam the car had when it rolled off the assembly line is not somthing the Ford programmer in a dealer shop can do. If your preditor deos not work, Either it is "married" to some other Cobra computer or the dignostic port crurcuit where you plug in the flash tuner has a fault. :burnout: :burnout:
if that is the case then why does diablosport say that you must have the stock tune in the stock computer, or it will not function properly? It says in the manual you can't have a chip, or a reflash. If the ford tech put the latest calibration would it not over ride what was reflashed? The predator I have is brand new. thanks

Jamie R.

Established Member
I thought my I read in my instruction manual that a reflash was ok you just could not have a chip installed in the car or the Predator would not work. I'll have to go back and check, I think it was on the first couple of pages or at least near the front of the manual.

Jamie R.
'01 Cobra

aaron427

Established Member
Jamie R. said:
I thought my I read in my instruction manual that a reflash was ok you just could not have a chip installed in the car or the Predator would not work. I'll have to go back and check, I think it was on the first couple of pages or at least near the front of the manual.

Jamie R.
'01 Cobra
here is what the manual says. "User must ensure that the original ford factory tune is in the vehicles ecu before installing the diablosport tune.(Ford dealer reflashes are the same as Factory tune)." Serious engine damage can occur if the predator tune is installed over a non-factory/aftermarket performace tune."

there has to be a way to put the computer back to stock.

trplblacksnake

Alcohol disposal unit!
Established Member
That only applies if you have used another handheld tuner or the previous owner used one and did not return it to stock. If it was reflashed by ford it sais right there that dealer reflashes are the same as factory tunes. So when the 99s went in for the "fix" and they were reflashed the tuner now considders that a stock tune.

aaron427

Established Member
trplblacksnake said:
That only applies if you have used another handheld tuner or the previous owner used one and did not return it to stock. If it was reflashed by ford it sais right there that dealer reflashes are the same as factory tunes. So when the 99s went in for the "fix" and they were reflashed the tuner now considders that a stock tune.
that's true, but mine wasn't reflashed by ford. It was reflashed by a tuner.

Venom27

Established Member
my predator didn't work either so i sent it to them and they said my computer must have been reflashed at some time which i don't remember anyone telling me it was reflashed.

aaron427

Established Member
Venom27 said:
my predator didn't work either so i sent it to them and they said my computer must have been reflashed at some time which i don't remember anyone telling me it was reflashed.
It took me awhile I had to track down the original owner to finally find out that it had been reflashed. What did you do? Have you got your stock comp. reflashed back to stock?

randit

Established Member
:shrug: ok so i may seem like i dont know anything but i want to know what is a reflash. i just ordered a jltcold air intake and i would like to know what a reflash is and what do i need to tell the dealer to get one and what is it going to cost. and do i even need a dealer to do this or do i need to order diablo, sct, etc in order to do this...

ps. plenty more silly questions where that came from.
2004 screaming yellow cobra :pop: :bowdown:

aaron427

Established Member
randit said:
:shrug: ok so i may seem like i dont know anything but i want to know what is a reflash. i just ordered a jltcold air intake and i would like to know what a reflash is and what do i need to tell the dealer to get one and what is it going to cost. and do i even need a dealer to do this or do i need to order diablo, sct, etc in order to do this...

ps. plenty more silly questions where that came from.
2004 screaming yellow cobra :pop: :bowdown:
there are a couple kinds of a reflash. One would be a custom reflash from say diablo, or a tuner. This is were they may give you a more aggresive tune to make more horsepower, or to turn off MIL lights, trac-loc, etc.... are just a few of them. Then you can have a dealer reflash. I think some of the 03-04 owners have had to have a dealer reflash to fix something in the computer. I am not sure of that you might want to ask in 03-04 cobra forum. I don't think you need a refalsh for a cold air intake. Honestly the best form of a reflash, or chip would be a dyno tune. Hope that answers some of your questions.

green99_svt

Established Member
any ford dealer can reflash the pcm back to "factory tune" it may not be the original calibration but it is the most up to date version. they should charge you an hour labor and no parts to do so as its all downloaded from ford on the wds.

stock svt

Modular Doctor
Established Member
green99_svt said:
any ford dealer can reflash the pcm back to "factory tune" it may not be the original calibration but it is the most up to date version. they should charge you an hour labor and no parts to do so as its all downloaded from ford on the wds.

You are correct. Everyone needs to note its the same tune, but with a more up to date version. IF the dealer flashes your ECU they put stickers on the passenger door, on the ecu case itself, and on the black plate that goes on the end of the ecu for the data port.

cobraracer46

Banned
stock svt said:
IF the dealer flashes your ECU they put stickers on the passenger door, on the ecu case itself, and on the black plate that goes on the end of the ecu for the data port.
The dealer only puts a sticker on the radiator support.

aaron427

Established Member
stock svt said:
You are correct. Everyone needs to note its the same tune, but with a more up to date version. IF the dealer flashes your ECU they put stickers on the passenger door, on the ecu case itself, and on the black plate that goes on the end of the ecu for the data port.
thanks for the info

Users who are viewing this thread