Refurbish window moldings?

USAF 93Cobra

Established Member
Greetings everyone,

Does anyone know how to refurbish window moldings? Unfortunately my car had to spend some time in the hot weather and it faded my moldings.

I know 5.0 resto sells replacement parts but I was hoping some one might have an alternate method.

Thanks in advance,
Lee

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Another Lee on this board with a 93 Cobra? Geeeez... :D

Anyway, on to your question. Both 5.0 resto and Steeda have "overlays" that go on over badly pitted/damaged window moldings (I assume you are talking about the 1/4 windows). I have no experience with them, so I can't vouch for how good they are.

How bad are your moldings? If they are just faded (and not pitted/rough), I have had great luck using a polish called "Wenol". It is actually a metal polish, but it is pretty fine (they have two versions, orange tube is the original, and blue tube is the ultra fine stuff). It works great as long as the surface is smooth and just faded. If it is rough, don't use it, as you'll never get all the polish removed from the little pits.

If your moldings are pitted and heavily damaged, then the polish won't work. I've know people to sand the moldings down till they are smooth (after masking off the areas around to avoid damage), the repaint them satin black with a flexible paint (such as bumper paint). That has proven successful in several cases I can think of.

BTW, did you get the private message I sent you? :D

93_Snake

93 Cobra worshipper
Established Member
I learned a good trick at the last car show I was at. Mine were looking all faded and I asked another owner how they kept them in such good shape. I figured he would say that it was ALWAYS in the garage, but he said he uses peanut butter and the oil in it makes the trim look like new. I figured he was just messing with me, but I tried it in a very small spot and it worked good. I did all my plastic trim and it looks like new again. I don't know how long it lasts, but it sure looks good right now.

93deznutsblown

Could be faster than u!!!
Established Member
Can you do anything with grape jelly.......:lol:
j/k....sounds weird, but I'm gonna try it this weekend.
let u know how it works for me....

93_Snake

93 Cobra worshipper
Established Member
You just use a rag to wipe it off. I know it sounds funny, but it worked really well for mine. I would just put some on the trim with my finger and then wipe it off with a rag. Oh BTW don't use chunky :D

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
Originally posted by 93Cobra2771
That's funny, I thought you had to have nuts to try it... :dw:

:eek: :lol1:

:lol1: :lol: you know when your sitting alone and then you just bust up laughing out loud then realize everyone else in the room is looking at you like, whats that retard laughing at?? yea thats me right now :bash:
the bad thing is every single one of us will be out peanutting our cars this weekend :D

USAF 93Cobra

Established Member
First of all, thanks for all for the info 93_Snake. Most of all thanks for the laughs!!!

I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it.....After all I have a jar of jelly I can add to the peanut butter for my sandwich....JK

If anybody else have any ideas, let them rip...

Lee

USAF 93Cobra

Established Member
Ladies and Gents,

I just did a sample (not a sandwich) and you can tell a difference!! Of course, I don't know how long it will last but if it last a couple of washes its good for me.

Thanks for the info 93_Snake.

I know some of ya'll will try it so don't lie........

Thanks,

Lee

ms hiss

Established Member
I have a question if the oil in the peanut butter is what you need then why don't you just use plain peanut oil? You know the kind you use in those huge turkey fryers.

93deznutsblown

Could be faster than u!!!
Established Member
Originally posted by ms hiss
I have a question if the oil in the peanut butter is what you need then why don't you just use plain peanut oil? You know the kind you use in those huge turkey fryers.

Good point.:thumbsup:

Lee

Established Member
You're right Richard; another Lee? How can we keep them all straight? I noticed you changed your signature thumb nail. Took a while to figure out who you were.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
:lol:

With regard to the oil vs the peanut butter, the stickiness of the peanut butter would allow longer contact time and better absorption than just wiping pure peanut oil. Plus, a jar of peanut butter is cheaper...

93_Snake

93 Cobra worshipper
Established Member
Originally posted by 93Cobra2771

With regard to the oil vs the peanut butter, the stickiness of the peanut butter would allow longer contact time and better absorption than just wiping pure peanut oil. Plus, a jar of peanut butter is cheaper...

AND you can lick the peanut butter off your hands when you are done and it tastes better than oil :idea: LOL :D

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Great stories, guys ... I tried a cleaner called "Back To Black," from Auto Zone. For faded trim, just wipe it on and work it a little, then wipe it off & buff it a little. Made my trim look nearly brand new. Now, when I close my door, instead of leaving the fingerprints on the door, I use 1 finger and push on the key hole trim piece. My doors latch real easy, anyway.

If I tried peanut butter, it would be my luck to attract every fire ant in the county. LOL

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread