Reimbursement for accident damages in IL

getsum95

Established Member
I'm not here to hate on LEO's or start an argument. I would just like someone, LEO or otherwise, to explain why IDOT/ISP has the right to do this. In February of this year I was midway through an on ramp in my 01 Bullitt when I shifted to 3rd, spun out, and ended up backwards in the ditch to the right of the ramp resting against a fence. No one else was involved, cars or otherwise. It was not anyones property I was on, just a fence seperating the on ramp from a sparsely populated country road next to a field. I was going too fast and my car was totaled so there was some damage to the fence. Cut-to, today when I receive a bill in the mail for $600+ dollars for fence repair to a 4 foot section of fence. A hefty chunk of that was the LUDICROUS amount of money the state workers apparently made from the repair according to the bill. All of this on top of the fact that I recieved 5 tickets total for the accident and was basically told I got so many (expensive) tickets because they had to use so many officers, vehicles, equipment and there has to be compensation. Everyone was also on duty and being paid at the time, just saying. Like I said before, this bill seems awfully shady and would like some clarification. As a side note I won't be ordering my plane ticket to San Francisco with my friends for our annual Memorial Day trip because of this. I hope everyone had an awesome monday as well! :beer:

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Usually the fences that line the sides of the interstates are state property. If your insurance did not cover that portion of the bill, then it would be up to you. I'd suggest forwarding the bill to your insurance for payment.

Good luck.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Usually the fences that line the sides of the interstates are state property. If your insurance did not cover that portion of the bill, then it would be up to you. I'd suggest forwarding the bill to your insurance for payment.

Good luck.

yep, pretty much sums it up for you OP.

2008vistablue

Established Member
I'm not here to hate on LEO's or start an argument. I would just like someone, LEO or otherwise, to explain why IDOT/ISP has the right to do this. In February of this year I was midway through an on ramp in my 01 Bullitt when I shifted to 3rd, spun out, and ended up backwards in the ditch to the right of the ramp resting against a fence. No one else was involved, cars or otherwise. It was not anyones property I was on, just a fence seperating the on ramp from a sparsely populated country road next to a field. I was going too fast and my car was totaled so there was some damage to the fence. Cut-to, today when I receive a bill in the mail for $600+ dollars for fence repair to a 4 foot section of fence. A hefty chunk of that was the LUDICROUS amount of money the state workers apparently made from the repair according to the bill. All of this on top of the fact that I recieved 5 tickets total for the accident and was basically told I got so many (expensive) tickets because they had to use so many officers, vehicles, equipment and there has to be compensation. Everyone was also on duty and being paid at the time, just saying. Like I said before, this bill seems awfully shady and would like some clarification. As a side note I won't be ordering my plane ticket to San Francisco with my friends for our annual Memorial Day trip because of this. I hope everyone had an awesome monday as well! :beer:

The State of Illinois is bankrupt and they are grabbing everything they can.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
The State of Illinois is bankrupt and they are grabbing everything they can.

Wow. Very insightful and helpful to the OP. Glad you acually took the time to bump a dead thread and post this wonderful information.

Users who are viewing this thread