Reinstalling the rear brake caliper

cobra50

Established Member
Well the search is down and I need to know how to get the rear brake caliper back on my car tonight. can someone tell me how it is done. thank you

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
I haven't done one of these cars yet, but many of the Fords call for a special tool that you have to push and turn to ratchet the piston back into caliper (has to do with the emergency brake) I can't help but think if you did a search on google you would come up with the exact shop proceedure. Otherwise, your dealer may let you read the manual or the library will have a service manual that should get you through it.

EVIL1

Get Outa My Way!
Established Member
I just used some needle nose pliers,,,they turn in pretty easy!!!

Steve Snake Driver

Established Member
As the previous post said, you can use needle nose pliers. There are two indents on the 'piston' and just use the pliers to turn the piston like you were tightening a bolt.

The special tool mentioned above is available at just about any auto parts store. It looks like a little metal cube with 'tits' sticking off of each corner....these don't work very good unless you grind a bit off of the knobs that are supposed to fit.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Just remove the caliper and turn the piston clockwise, if I remember correct, until it is fully seated. Install the pads and connect the caliper back to the mounting bracket. Those bolts should be torqued to 25 ft. Ibs. Also make sure you have the emergency brake disengaged when you try to do this.

Originally posted by ShelbyGuy
I use needle nosed pliers and a prybar/big screwdriver to get the e-brake cable end on and off

Why do you take the e-brake cable off?

Last edited:

Juiced-03

Established Member
I dont think he means the piston, I think he wants to know how to get the caliper back on. It might take two people to push down on the caliper while you get the bolts pushed in.

BLK_03

Established Member
Yeah but the pads have springs on them which makes pressing the caliper in place and lining the bolts up to the holes tricky...

It took two people for me, one to push the caliper toward the front of the car and me to start the bolts.... unless you have superhuman kung-fu grip!

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
Because it takes 2 seconds and gives me another inch or three of room to work.

Originally posted by toofast4u
Just remove the caliper and turn the piston clockwise, if I remember correct, until it is fully seated. Install the pads and connect the caliper back to the mounting bracket. Those bolts should be torqued to 25 ft. Ibs. Also make sure you have the emergency brake disengaged when you try to do this.

Why do you take the e-brake cable off?

Users who are viewing this thread