reliability fuel economy 05-08 GT vs 04 BMW M3 vert

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
I have a 04 BMW Vert M3 which just turned 64k miles. I have already put 1k hard miles on it. I love the car. Its light years ahead of anything I have ever owned, even my 08 TC Cobalt SS. Anyways. I am getting 19 city/ 27 hwy in the M3. I have a 07 sierra, but I already put 40k miles on it, so it is creeping up on 180k. I traded my 04 crew cab 5.4 3v with 190k for this m3, but my thinking is, I drive the M3 more then I do my truck. Anyways. I don't really care about mods, but which car is going to be better above lets say 100k? I have heard 3v 4.6s are good to 100kish just like the 2v 4.6s, then its give or take, where I have heard a bmw taken care of is pretty much like a honda. My current M3 has every maintenance record from day one. Now I am a ford guy, so I have always wanted a 05+ GT, but I am not going to tie into a payment. All 03-04 cobras I can find are beat up and modded beyond what I want to spend for a DD. I need to keep a truck around, so my question is, keep the M3 and deal with the not so good mpg, or get a 05-08 GT as a daily? What would you do? I can easily put 2k miles a month on a car. Would the bmw be worth keeping vs lets say a GT with less miles 40k or less? I really do not know what to do here. Help me please.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
True, I am just thinking, I have a big interview that and if I land the job, my daily commute will be 200 miles a day, not including the weekends. I love the M3, but it is still a vert, and it is only knocking down 19.1 city with me driving like a grandpa.

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
True, I am just thinking, I have a big interview that and if I land the job, my daily commute will be 200 miles a day, not including the weekends. I love the M3, but it is still a vert, and it is only knocking down 19.1 city with me driving like a grandpa.

200 miles a day? thats 50,000 a year! You might want to invest in a hybrid or a motorcycle. Seriously I avergae over 2x your mpg and my hybrid is actually fun to drive!

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
I have a kid, and hybrid lol. I was thinking possibly a civic, as a DD, but I would be working for a upscale company so a Civic would be laughed at. My x wife worked for them, and a brand new cobalt ss/tc and a 09 tribute was laughed at, by her coworkers. I can deal with the bs Ill tell them to go eff, but I am really looking for reliability and good mpg.

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
I have a kid, and hybrid lol. I was thinking possibly a civic, as a DD, but I would be working for a upscale company so a Civic would be laughed at. My x wife worked for them, and a brand new cobalt ss/tc and a 09 tribute was laughed at, by her coworkers. I can deal with the bs Ill tell them to go eff, but I am really looking for reliability and good mpg.

yeah I have a crz 6 speed it has no back seats but it is fun to drive.

Hey how about a lexus CT whatever?

or an Audi A3 TDI?

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
I like the A4 Audis, lexus would be another option. That is why I am asking. This a 6 figure job, but to get in it, I was thinking my bmw, but its old, in terms of this job. I dunno. I guess I could just man up.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
the 4.6 will last plenty long enough if you change the oil and plugs at normal intervals. Look at all those taxis running around, and the 3 valve is better than the 2 valve.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
the 4.6 will last plenty long enough if you change the oil and plugs at normal intervals. Look at all those taxis running around, and the 3 valve is better than the 2 valve.

That is kinda what I was thinking. My 3v 5.4 went 190k with proper maintance it was still running perfect.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
I owned an 02 M3 and 2 S197 GTs. My. M3 drove better and was a better car. Slightly quicker than a 3V GT. However, my M3 got 16/23 MPG on average with driving it casually. My Supercharged 3V with 4.10's and large/wide tires can get 16-18 on the street and 22-24 on the highway. I've got almost 70K miles on my GT, 60K of which it has had a blower on it.

I'd go with the M3 as it is overall a better car. However, it has very limited room, and does ride a bit stiffer. The GT is a gr at car, and is going to be much cheaper with equal miles. If something goes wrong in the M3 it will be VERY expensive.

Sent via morse code through a fax machine

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
I like the A4 Audis, lexus would be another option. That is why I am asking. This a 6 figure job, but to get in it, I was thinking my bmw, but its old, in terms of this job. I dunno. I guess I could just man up.

screw waht other people say. Id rock a civic. then watch their jaws drop when I bring a shelby to work with the money i saved

NC85

Lurker for Life
Established Member

Sounds like a crappy group to work with. Keep the BMW or sell it and get a civic if you're driving that far.

SHOdown220

Established Member
No offense man but Six figure job and you're asking about a few mpgs? I mean I guess I can see it adding up in the long run with that long of a commute. Anyways I can't speak for reliability because I didn't really own mine long enough for anything to go wrong but my 06 gt averaged 19 mpg mixed driving. But it got wot probably at least once a day. I think the best I got from it was 25 mpg set on the base tune on a beach trip. I would consider a bike as others have said. Best damn way to commute, cheap, excellent mpg, fun as hell. You could probably keep the BMW and pick up a bike as an extra. That's the route I would go. I miss my mustang but if I can help it my garage won't be without a bike until I'm too damn old to ride.

Users who are viewing this thread