REMATCH: tuned SRT-8 vs. stock '03 Terminator (and a C5Z)

Deuuuce

Established Member
Cliff notes: Beat neighbor by 1 CL this time. From a roll, a C5Z pulls my SRT-8 about 1 to 1.5 CLs.

Got a nice call from my neighbor asking if I wanted to run on the 'private road' again.

He now has some more "seat time", new spark plugs and as before, aftermarket mufflers. Otherwise stock '03 coupe. Nice car!

He's not the most experienced so the one clean run we had time for at about 35mph, I spun a little in 1st gear and it shifted into 2nd right away. However, I put 1-1.5 on him. I saw him inching up when he hit 3rd. (I've heard good things about 3rd gear on the Cobra)....but I was getting into my powerband in 3rd gear as well so that stopped and I ended up 1 CL ahead.

NOTE: I was solo (210lbs) with a full tank of gas. He isn't a big guy, a medium sized passenger and half tank.

I'd like to try a variety of different speeds for grins sometime.

C5Z on the 'private road' again:

WICKED exhaust note, and possibly a tuner's decal in the lower, center rear window. I caught up in 2nd gear at 55mph, he knew I was interested. I 3-honked, made sure he was game and we hit it.

My hopes were dashed in about a second (or less) when he pulled about 1, maybe 1.5 CLs ahead of me and that''s where he stayed at WOT until we both let up, me in the powerband of 3rd gear.

He asked my mods/power, I told him 400rwhp (91 oct tune) and he said he just did exhaust. And said he was in 3rd gear. Sounded like full exhaust to me.

Soooooo my conclusion:
I think trap speed differential between my car and his is probably 5-6mph, assuming both under IDEAL condtions (113-114 vs. 119-120) Since we started off at the peak of my powerband, and I suspect he shifted from 2nd to 3rd, I would say the race was pretty representative.

If he had gone from a low speed roll, him powershifting, to the mid teens, it wouldn''t have been pretty (for me).

Last edited:

SSSSIKH

I ♥ BOOST
Established Member
good kill, and a good death Rob!! :rockon:

i'll be looking forward to when you get back from the holidays, cuz i still want my shot at that thing! :rolling:

Deuuuce

Established Member
good kill, and a good death Rob!! :rockon:

i'll be looking forward to when you get back from the holidays, cuz i still want my shot at that thing! :rolling:

Thanks, I'm definitely up for some fun runs with you.

nice runs, is your best trap 111?

Mine is yes. Haven't made the ideal run yet in cool weather. I'm benchmarking against a similarly modded and dyno tuned SRT-8, EricG.

Thanks Guys.

91frppgt

Banned
Thanks, I'm definitely up for some fun runs with you.

Mine is yes. Haven't made the ideal run yet in cool weather. I'm benchmarking against a similarly modded and dyno tuned SRT-8, EricG.

Thanks Guys.

good run! not trying to bash ya, i thought stock 03/04 cobras trapped 112ish-114mph? I saw a stock coupe trap 114 in idea weather..even had the stock air silencer. nontheless, good runs! goes to show you anything can happen on the street.

HotRodK

Gone to the Dark Side
Established Member
At the track I beat an '03 Cobra with just a 105.xx mph trap to his 110. Tree'd the driver, got a better 60' and matched his 1/8 mile MPH. Took the last 1/8 for him to get back within 3 lengths. It happens.

KduncSS

Ille qui nos omnes servab
Established Member
Nice runs. Id like to see some modded SRT8's around here.

I doubt the ZO6 had a full exhaust, they are very throaty even in stock form. Probably just a catback on it. Very impressive that you ran with him that close on the roll, but if it would have had headers and the whole deal I would think he would have pulled you harder. Again cool car man and sweet races.

Deuuuce

Established Member
good run! not trying to bash ya, i thought stock 03/04 cobras trapped 112ish-114mph? I saw a stock coupe trap 114 in idea weather..even had the stock air silencer. nontheless, good runs! goes to show you anything can happen on the street.

Thanks, not at all!

I figure full cool-downs, powershifts into 2nd and 3rd plus standard weight reduction for the strip brings the traps to that level for the Cobras.

I asked him if he's going to dyno the car to see if it's one of those 390rwhp stockers or as someone posted not long ago, 340-360rwhp.

Keep in mind the original match-up, I got him by like 3 CLs but he kept the traction control on and was even newer in the car.

There is enough variance within production cars to keep it interesting.

NOTE: I was solo (210lbs) with a full tank of gas. He isn't a big guy, a medium sized passenger and half tank. I'll see if I can add this to my OP.

Can't wait to race SSSSIKH!

BayareaSS

Established Member
Nice runs. Do you know the guy with the c5z? sounds like i might need to line up with him.

I would also like to see you race ssshik. I never see strong running srt8's except for G's 300

Deuuuce

Established Member
Nice runs. Do you know the guy with the c5z? sounds like i might need to line up with him.

I would also like to see you race ssshik. I never see strong running srt8's except for G's 300

No I don't know him but he's local. He seemed pretty cool and it was a distinctive car (duh, I know) so I'll keep an eye out.

Me too. However, talking to G regarding a couple things about his car, and I think he would agree, it could be stronger. One reason may be fixed, another pending. I'll have to run those Machs sometime (and G) for a comparison in my stock tune.

Last edited:

2sick4v's

SonicBoom
Established Member
No I don't know him but he's local. He seemed pretty cool and it was a distinctive car (duh, I know) so I'll keep an eye out.

Me too. However, talking to G regarding a couple things about his car, and I think he would agree, it could be stronger. One reason may be fixed, another pending. I'll have to run those Machs sometime (and G) for a comparison in my stock tune.

Me and my cousin G ran again and from a roll we ran dead even! His car is probably by far the best running srt-8's i have ran with those mods! Your charger should beat me from a dig and a roll but im down to run! Also depending on the outcome ill run you in my cobra as well. Good kill and death!:beer:

SSmoked99

Burn that sh*t UBZ
Established Member
Me and my cousin G ran again and from a roll we ran dead even! His car is probably by far the best running srt-8's i have ran with those mods! Your charger should beat me from a dig and a roll but im down to run! Also depending on the outcome ill run you in my cobra as well. Good kill and death!:beer:

Well let me know because I wanna come out too...

BayareaSS

Established Member

Oh ok i was hoping you knew him because i haven't had a good run in a very long time. I drove G's car and watched him run last week and he looked very impressive. Both of the Mach's run strong esepcially 2sick4v's comp orange mach. I would like to see you run his mach on your stock tune then run his cobra on your race tune. Now that would be fun to watch. :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread