reminder keeping warranty information

trendkilllx

Established Member
Just a reminder to keep any warranty cards you might get when you get aftermarket parts. Purchased a magnaflow 4 catted x pipe, california legal 10/2010. Passed smog fine 11/2010 with pipe. Spent last weekend replacing the clutch trying to troubleshoot a knocking sound comming from around the trans area. Finally found the problem, something broke loose in the drivers side rear cat after only 200 miles, car has new oxygen sensors and plugs look good, (good air fuel ratio). Anyhow no luck getting a free replacement from Magnaflow with no warranty card. Tried contacting the place I bought the pipe from as I do still have the order # and email conformation but no recent responses. :nonono:

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
thats crazy, they will not help you with warranty even though you provided proof of purchase. id be ticked off.

worst case senaro i have a whole sale acct and can get the stuff pretty cheap. post up the part # and ill shoot ya a price just in case you need to go that route.

trendkilllx

Established Member
the frustration is compounded by the fact that it took work and money to discover the problem in addition to now I will need to pay for a replacement. I probably should have posted this in the fox body section as the part is actually for my 87 gt (Product ID: MAG37338 Product Name: 37338) and it is only the passenger side rear cat but I do not think you can get the individual cat. I have the mrt catted h pipe on my 03 cobra (6 years no problems) that I think came with magnaflow cats, also have the magnaflow catback on the 03, no problems.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I'm sorry to hear of your trouble.

I will run an off road pipe if and when I decide to take my OE cat pipe off.

I have read about and heard from enough friends that have had aftermarket high flow cat failures, that I am not going to spend that much money for that little gain and then have an issue even if it is as much as 4 years later.

There simply is no cat pipe available with more robust cats than the factory H pipe. Those factory cats are TOUGH!

I will admit that changing back and forth is not exactly a fun time and getting a cat ticket is probably not much fun either, but this one of several common mods that I decided ...... NO THANKS, I'll leave that stock.

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
I'm sorry to hear of your trouble.

I will run an off road pipe if and when I decide to take my OE cat pipe off.

I have read about and heard from enough friends that have had aftermarket high flow cat failures, that I am not going to spend that much money for that little gain and then have an issue even if it is as much as 4 years later.

There simply is no cat pipe available with more robust cats than the factory H pipe. Those factory cats are TOUGH!

I will admit that changing back and forth is not exactly a fun time and getting a cat ticket is probably not much fun either, but this one of several common mods that I decided ...... NO THANKS, I'll leave that stock.

I like how you think!

FWIW, I ditched my stock h awhile ago, bought a bassani X. I got both the cats and the straight pipes. I ended up running with the cats for a very short time, I started thinking about them failing too much. Took them out and they have been sitting in a box ever since.

trendkilllx

Established Member
Yep still have the stock hpipe for the 03 cobra sitting in the garage just incase it is needed. Guessing the manufacturing process must be different between the stock cats that seem to hold up well and aftermarket ones.

Users who are viewing this thread