remote car starter

blksvt10th

Established Member
anyone have a remote starter on their cars? One of my buds just threw one on his car, and it seems tempting to put one in with the winter coming on. It'd be nice to start the car a few minutes before i get to it in the winter months. Always thought that it was kinda ricer to have something like that, but the convenience of one seems extremely practical for a daily driven cobra in the winter months. I'm guessing with a manual, you'd have to leave the car in nuetral (with only the parking brake on) so it would start. Any thoughts on this? Anyone have one, where did you get it?

golfprowanabe

Established Member
I have a friend of mine who ran his car through a warehouse door because he was fumbling for the keys and accidentally pressed the autostart. Of course he was in gear! He couldn't get to the driver's side door in time. The car slowly walked right through the door and did damage to the inventory inside as well as damaging the car. I would say it isn't a good idea.... period. It only takes one time to make a mistake.

NJCOBRA10thA

Really thats my last mod.
Established Member
Clifford makes one that is safe for sticks. I had it on a previous SVT. You can only use it when you do something like the following:

1) while car is running, in neutral hit the remote start button
2) exit vehicle with car running
3) Arm the alarm - this will shut down car and allow for remote start

If that is not done, car won't start. If car alarm goes off - it won't start.

It also provides for safe short stops where you can leave the car running and armed but take the keys with you.

Clifford is EXPENSIVE but they do this safely.

There are other companies that do this safely too but none I am real familiar with. You can not just take a Viper and do this because then you will one day leave it in gear and crash it.

BO TY KLR

Established Member
I put one in my wife bonnaville a couple of years ago and they are nice to have in the cold. Now as for putting one in a manual trans car I don't think I'd do it. You'd have to override the safety switch. What if you forget to leave it in neutral? The thing will keep trying to start while your car is rolling down the street. And what if it finally does start in gear? I can see alot of problems.

blksvt10th

Established Member
yea thats what i was thinking about, but wasnt sure if there might have been some good company out there that makes one for manual cars that will have some safety features on it so the things you guys mentioned dont happen. If I "were" to do this, it would definetly be a product that has been proven and designed for manual cars. From what I've read so far, looks like the cons heavily outweigh the benefits.

Or a lock-out switch.

RickSvt

Its Fast
Established Member
I think that now you can get a neutral safety switch, I forget where to get one, but ask at some of the car audio stores they should know. As for being safe without one, well thats another story.....I ran my old car through my realitors building when I was buying a house, all I did was sit down and my keys were in my pocket and the buttons got pushed......I WILL NOT DO THAT AGAIN.....unless I have a safety feature

Rick

bcwang

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
How does the autostart system know how long to crank to get the engine started? I'd like to be able to just turn the key for an instant and let go, and have the engine start up electronically. My car starts very erratically, sometimes taking half a second, sometimes needing 3 seconds. Often I don't crank enough and it doesn't start. I also don't like to overcrank, so that's one reason I'm timid with cranking too long.

wldstang91

Established Member
My opinion DONT DO IT!! any kind of tampering with the wiring of the car causes problems, trust me I know. Aftermarket alarms, remote start what ever has always given me nothing but trouble. My current daily driver sits in my driveway right now dead due to a butchered remote start installtion and removal. My 89 Mustang had a similar issue wouldnt start due to the alarm system had to remove it and replace all sorts of wiring, same with any other mustang ive come into contact with thats had anything aftermarket like that on it, no matter how great of a shop installed it. just a piece of advice.

bunny_power

Snugs has da powah!
Established Member
I've got one in mine, and had one in my GT, no problems at all, and a definite requirement for any cold winter days. The thing about manual trannies is a little odd, most if not all of the systems should have a setup so that if you leave the car in gear the auto-start is disabled.

NJCOBRA10thA

Really thats my last mod.
Established Member
It's all about the install that's why people who shop for a remote start or alarm only by price come up short in the long run.

Users who are viewing this thread