Remote control key not working? any ideas

Dismember

2003 black Terminator
Established Member
Hi guys,

A freind of mine have change my heater core, of course the dash have been pulled and back to his place but.... now my remote control key aint working. I cant lock or unlock the car with it but i hear a kind of "CLICK" sound inside the car when i push the button.

I will check it up with my freind tomorrow, any ideas where to start with?

Tx

Ben

Fat-cat

Established Member
If it is the stock unit then i have no idea. If its an aftermarket alarm / Starter i would imagine a ground was not hooked but up when the heater was swapped. If you can hear the relays click it probably needs to be reprogrammed.

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
You can try to reprogram your key fobs.

Have both key fobs, and the ignition key ready.

1) Insert the ignition key into the ignition cyl.

2) Starting in the OFF position, cycle the key from OFF to RUN 8 times, ending with the key ON in RUN (do not start the car). The door locks should cycle when you turn on the ignition the 8th time.

Leaving the key on... press the LOCK button of each remote. The locks should cycle one time with each press of the two remote's lock buttons.

3) Turn the key off, the locks should cycle again

4) Test the LOCK button on each remote, and see if the locks respond.

Last edited:

cbr repsol

Established Member
Your battery in the remote could be weak. It might be one of those things that just happens and you overlook it because u did some other work on the car.

Dismember

2003 black Terminator
Established Member

2) Starting in the OFF position, cycle the key from OFF to RUN 8 times, ending with the key ON in RUN (do not start the car). The door locks should cycle when you turn on the ignition the 8th time.

Leaving the key on... press the LOCK button of each remote. The locks should cycle one time with each press of the two remote's lock buttons.

GREAT great info,,,, i only have one remote.. it change something??

mi_l123

JDM = Just Dust ME
Established Member

what he said, i bought a used cobra with only one remote control. I programmed 2 extras like that.

Dismember

2003 black Terminator
Established Member
Update.. MAybe im doing something wrong but nothing happen on the 8 th time i turn the key from off to run. Question ..?? when im in the run position and i get back to the off position do i need to push the lock that allow the key to get out of the ignition cyl. ? or the position where the key stop by herself is OK? ... because nothing seem to happen on the 8 th time. Is the OFF to RUN has to be fast or slow?? Im lost lol

And i had recheck the remote and the Trunk Opener is Ok. The lock , unlock and panic button not working. But again i hear the CLICK sound like in the steering when i push one of those button. Im thinking of a shortcut??

Tx... im sorry if it does not sound CLEAN, french being my primary language.

Ben

Last edited:

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
If the trunk release button on the remotes work, it sounds like your key fobs are programmed. If that is the case... you have a possible issue with the module itself. I suspect if you are hearing a click in the dash when you press one of the lock buttons on a key fob... the problem lies in the car, not the fob.

Since the lock / unlock system worked prior to your heater core being replaced, it's reasonable to assume something was disconnected in the process and not reinstalled. That may also be why you don't get the locks to cycle on the 8th time you cycle the ignition key.

Better start looking in the area the work was performed.

Last edited:

Dismember

2003 black Terminator
Established Member
If the trunk release button on the remotes work, it sounds like your key fobs are programmed. If that is the case... you have a possible issue with the module itself. I suspect if you are hearing a click in the dash when you press one of the lock buttons on a key fob... the problem lies in the car, not the fob.

Since the lock / unlock system worked prior to your heater core being replaced, it's reasonable to assume something was disconnected in the process and not reinstalled. That may also be why you don't get the locks to cycle on the 8th time you cycle the ignition key.

Better start looking in the area the work was performed.

Yes Powershift youre right, The fobs may be right because i just realized that even the electric lock door button near the door handle doesnt work either, so something has been disconnect during the dash in and out process :((... the Click very seem to come from the steering colomn.

Youre very helpful my friend

Ben

Last edited:

Dismember

2003 black Terminator
Established Member
UPDATE! Turns out it was a bad connection inside the plate under the steering. Reconnect it and now it's fine!

Tx to all.

Users who are viewing this thread