remove 2 cats, still pass the sniffer in Ca.?

2tonOfun

Established Member
Pretty much what it says.
I have a smog test station I go to that will not do the visual. But, will I still pass the sniffer test?

And, my next question is; will I get any "check engine" light by removing the back two cats?

Thanks.

bda1855

Member of the Boosted16
Established Member
Pretty much what it says.
I have a smog test station I go to that will not do the visual. But, will I still pass the sniffer test?

And, my next question is; will I get any "check engine" light by removing the back two cats?

Thanks.

you can pull the front 2 cats and pass the sniffer...

also... have your tuner turn off the rear O2 sensors and you wont have to worry about the check engine light...

For reference i passed the sniffer with flying colors and im running comp stage II cams, and only the rear stock cats...

also EGR delete and ported eaton...

EDIT: I just saw that your truck is tuned by Greg... Greg turns off the rear O2s on all his tunes... so your fine...

leave the rear cats.. they flow plenty, no need to get ride of them until your make gobs of power...

Last edited:

2tonOfun

Established Member

also... have your tuner turn off the rear O2 sensors and you wont have to worry about the check engine light...

For reference i passed the sniffer with flying colors and im running comp stage II cams, and only the rear stock cats...

EDIT: I just saw that your truck is tuned by Greg... Greg turns off the rear O2s on all his tunes... so your fine...

leave the rear cats.. they flow plenty, no need to get ride of them until your make gobs of power...

Nice! and I guess I could confirm that with Greg but that sounds perfect also.
And the sound?
Good?

Thanks for your input.

bgstew6

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
Established Member
it'll be louder than that purring little kitten you have now...hehe

bda1855

Member of the Boosted16
Established Member
I love the way my truck sounds!!!! silver bullet exhaust wannabe with the two rear cats welded into a bassani mid pipe...

hoping to add LT headers this round of mods... that should make it a bit louder.. LOL

2tonOfun

Established Member
Yeah Stew,
I've got to make it louder so I can hear it over that damned Cog set up when I'm next to you.

bda1855, I've got a 3" Xpipe to 3" Magy's and 4" tips so cutting out the two cats should make it at least sound as mean as it IS.

bgstew6

Established Member
I still dont have to smog...and not running a cam so should not have any problems when it does come time.....

Git R done.....Im tired of being the loudest in town...lol

ducman996

Established Member

I have been waiting and looking around on these forums for quite a while to see if someone had passed the CA smog sniffer test with cams and/or front cats deleted. The smog shop that I go to doesn't usually get overzellous and ask for carb #'s for aftermarket parts and other BS as long as all the essential smog equiptment is vissually still there (don't know if they actually count the # of cats on f-150's) and it passes the sniffer and OBD2 scan its good to go. Now I want some stage II cams and front cat deleted. Has there been others that have passed the CA smog sniffer test with cams and front cat delete?

2tonOfun

Established Member
I still dont have to smog...and not running a cam so should not have any problems when it does come time.....

Git R done.....Im tired of being the loudest in town...lol

Yeah, I got some cash and I figure I'll swing by my favorite muffler shop dude and see if he'll do it.

Then I'll cruise over to your house and throw some revs!

bransharksfan

2006 ST Class AutoX CHAMP
Established Member
I dont want to rain on your parade but I believe that we are going to have to do the rolling dynos very shortly! Actually one of my friends just had to do it!

bgstew6

Established Member
Yeah, I got some cash and I figure I'll swing by my favorite muffler shop dude and see if he'll do it.

Then I'll cruise over to your house and throw some revs!

Hopefully if I have a house to go back to....when I get back...I can get a vid cam and take some video...

bda1855

Member of the Boosted16
Established Member
I dont want to rain on your parade but I believe that we are going to have to do the rolling dynos very shortly! Actually one of my friends just had to do it!

FYI you can refuse to do the rolling dyno...

they will give you aticket and make you take it to a ref station...

but either way it gives you time to fix anything tht needs a correction...

PS my truck ran cleaner than a 2004 Mustang GT that was bone stock...

its all in the tune!

2tonOfun

Established Member
Also, the only rolling dyno thing I saw had a real steep ramp to it. I think with my lowered truck I could refuse to because I wouldn't want to scrape.
That's probably some type of tickit here too:shrug:
You know California.

And Stew, I wouldn't worry. We here in coastal North County have been pretty safe so far.

Last edited:

bgstew6

Established Member
only takes a few wind gusts...

if they dont contain it in bonsal and the back side of base...it will rip through the 76 valley very quick..lot of scrub, brush and grass in that basin.....

bgstew6

Established Member
oh and the fallout from the fires all over my truck...btw the pics were taken at 600pm.

DSC04842.jpg

DSC04841.jpg

DSC04840.jpg

DSC04839.jpg

bda1855

Member of the Boosted16
Established Member
Also, the only rolling dyno thing I saw had a real steep ramp to it. I think with my lowered truck I could refuse to because I wouldn't want to scrape.
That's probably some type of tickit here too:shrug:
You know California.

And Stew, I wouldn't worry. We here in coastal North County have been pretty safe so far.

Actually i think the refusal has something to do with probable cause... they are technically detaining you for something without probable cause... since it takes so long to do the rolling smog you can refuse and they will make you take it to get smogged later...

Of course... this is only if they ask you to pull into the lane... its random and for obvious infractions... (AKA ricers!)

Stew-

good luck with that fire man... lt me know if you need any help... my Fiances grandma lives over there and we may have to go get her...

bgstew6

Established Member
Actually i think the refusal has something to do with probable cause... they are technically detaining you for something without probable cause... since it takes so long to do the rolling smog you can refuse and they will make you take it to get smogged later...

Of course... this is only if they ask you to pull into the lane... its random and for obvious infractions... (AKA ricers!)

Stew-

good luck with that fire man... lt me know if you need any help... my Fiances grandma lives over there and we may have to go get her...

Thanks Bro....the ash is getting deeaper over here....THe falll brook Fire looks to be heading back up the corridor towards temecula....but the winds could turn around and keep pushing it towards us.

My poor Truck! Too late to try and wash it down....ash is still falling and I dont think it would be smart to put the cover on her now...not to mention the wife not being able to do it by herself...

More important things to wrry bout than that though!

2tonOfun

Established Member
Stew, you know I'm right here so if you or your wife need anything just call.

Hey, my muffler shop has a new owner and he wouldn't do it when I went by there this morning.

Do you (or any body else in SD) know where I can go to get them cut out?

Send me a PM (don't want to get anyone in trouble).

bgstew6

Established Member
yup....I sure do brother man...got the number on speed dial for her along with a couple other SoCal Crappers...

You got a PM

Users who are viewing this thread