Remove Insullation From Hood?

98BABCobra

Established Member
Hey guys. I'm sorry, I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times.

I've been thinking about removing the black heat insulator from my hood and polishing up the paint to look real nice, but I wasn't sure if the engine heat would case the paint to bubble or any other negative side effects. Thanks in advance. (P.S. no supercharger or anything that would add additional heat to the engine bay)

blubyu90

Established Member
You won't have any problems with heat or anything like that, but Ford didn't paint the underside of the hoods completely. It honestly would look better with the insulation there.

GRUSE

Established Member
I was thinking about removing mine and running it through a clothes washer.Is it glued on at any point or held in only by the push pins?

redrocket16

Established Member
I was thinking about removing mine and running it through a clothes washer.Is it glued on at any point or held in only by the push pins?

Don't put it in the washing machine and I would recommend to not take it off to clean even, it will look as good as you can get it by leaving it on. Also, do not put the nozzle on full pressure either on the blanket, just a light mist and then scrub with a soft brush with a cleaner on it.

Rosco

Established Member
Get duplicolor fabric paint. It's like $5 and will make the heat shield look near new. I had the same idea as you but the majority of the hood wasn't painted.

bergz22

Established Member
There was a website that I found, a guy made awesome custom liners up of some kind of aircraft rubber material. Looked great. He also could put any decal on them. Last I saw he had some medical problems and stopped making them for a while. Let me see if I can find it after work.

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
I took mine off because I had a fuel injector piss all over it and it wouldnt clean... my car is laser red so I went to advance and bought a can of redfire metallic and spray the under side of my hood... looks good and heat is not an issue.

sn95Cobrakai

Established Member
It will not hurt anything to remove it. One big reason it's there is in case of an engine fire tHe push pins will melt and the blanket will fall a smother the fire. That's what fire extinguishers are for at the track but I will tell you every extra measure of protection is a good thing. I still have mine. If it's a show car buy a new one or paint it up nice. Or remove it and paint the fiberglass all shiney to match.

Users who are viewing this thread