Removed Airbag Bulb, now the dash beeps.

S2-Raw

Established Member
I have an aftermarket steering wheel on my '99 Cobra. Being that the airbag has been removed, I been driving around with the Airbag light on for just about a year now.

Finnaly after beeing sick of having a yellow light glowing in my face I decided to pull out the gauge cluster and simply remove the airbag bulb.

Now eveytime I start the car, the dash beeps. It makes 5 beeps then pauses, does another 5 beeps then pauses. It does this a totall of 5 five times, resulting in 25 beeps total. This happens everytime I start the car now. It quite annoying but I think having my dash beep a few times while the car warms up is a whole lot better than having a yellow airbag light on the WHOLE time I drive.

Has any one else ever experinced this beep after removing and replacing the gauge cluster?

04-4.jpg

Last edited:

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
Or just put the bulb back in and use a well placed piece of black electrical tape on the backside of the airbag indicator position. I can imagine that, due to fear of litigation, the beeping is to tell you that the bulb burned out or was removed -- gotta love the sue happy public!

9snakebite6

Banned
i was gonna tell him the same about the tape, but i feared the heat kinda liquafying (?) the resins in the adhesive makein the tape possibly come off and catch on fire on the blub??...Maybe spray paint flat black on the back side of the cluster(only where that 1 light is)

S2-Raw

Established Member
Thanks for the info guys. I guess I'll just spray the bulb flat black or tape up the "airbag" letters from behind or something.

BTW, in regards to going back to stock. My car was in a front-end collision and the airbags deployed. The factory wants $1,100 for a new airbag. I said screw it and bought a steering wheel off ebay for $200. Maybe when I get some cash together I'll get a FR500 wheel or something.

Thanks again for the help guys, I love this board!

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Thanks for the info guys. I guess I'll just spray the bulb flat black or tape up the "airbag" letters from behind or something.

BTW, in regards to going back to stock. My car was in a front-end collision and the airbags deployed. The factory wants $1,100 for a new airbag. I said screw it and bought a steering wheel off ebay for $200. Maybe when I get some cash together I'll get a FR500 wheel or something.

Thanks again for the help guys, I love this board!
Or you could do what some other people do, go steal an airbag. j/k

Due to the price of a new one, they are a high theft item. My son had both airbags stolen out of his 98 GT vert. Nothing else was taken. Not the stereo, nor the wheels with brand new tires. It was a clean job too. All of the plugs were still there and functional. They probably ended up on eBay.

Users who are viewing this thread