Removed CAI and axleback, same mph

Jdm351

Established Member
Actually added a little avg mph. I went to the track in early December and ran new PB of 11.96 at 115.14. DA was ~1200 and 60 ft of 1.71. Had AED tune, Airaid CAI, resonator delete, and dynomax axleback on a 26x11.5x15 ET Street bias ply. I decided to save for a supercharger so I sold the Airaid and axleback. Went back today, DA was ~2200. Went new PB MPH 115.64, but a 12.04 ET. Delta in ET was the 60 ft at 1.794.

So my point being that I always questioned the value of the CAI and axleback. Today I feel like I finally have the data to support that they are for aesthetics and sound only.

Recon

Established Member
No, they aren't upgrades on Coyotes. Well the exhaust would be an improvement sound wise. The upgrade would be the tune. Stock tune on them is meh at best.

Sent from somewhere in the Twilight Zone.

nate714

Established Member
Well, the no tune required CAI is basically forcing it to the same MAF diameter as stock, except with an open box for potentially hot air. Any gains would come from removing the insert and tuning accordingly.

Jdm351

Established Member
Well, the no tune required CAI is basically forcing it to the same MAF diameter as stock, except with an open box for potentially hot air. Any gains would come from removing the insert and tuning accordingly.
Agree except the fact that the stock throttle body is no bigger than the diameter of the stock maf tube. I think it's actually smaller.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
Yeah cai might add a few ponies but not like it did back in the day. Same with the axle back. Looks and sounds is about all.

nate714

Established Member
Agree except the fact that the stock throttle body is no bigger than the diameter of the stock maf tube. I think it's actually smaller.

True. I'm using an 85mm TB, which is super pointless since the manifold inlet is 83mm lol.

I agree though CAI/AB don't make any notable difference in speed or power. I have CAI/TB/Catback and I don't think they do anything besides make me smile. Sounds a lot better, creating the illusion of speed.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
Yeah, no tune airaid isn't going to do anything, but it's not a blanket finding for all no tune cold air kits. I installed a no tune PMAS, did back to back runs vs stock cold air on the same night, picked up nearly 2 mph with the PMAS.

Jdm351

Established Member
Yeah, no tune airaid isn't going to do anything, but it's not a blanket finding for all no tune cold air kits. I installed a no tune PMAS, did back to back runs vs stock cold air on the same night, picked up nearly 2 mph with the PMAS.
I read your thread about that and don't dispute your findings. Scientifically speaking, how do you suppose the CAI with the stock maf tube diameter and a stock throttle body of 80mm picked up 2 mph? Do you suppose it is the volume of air in the intake tube? Or the angle of entry? I'm curious to what your thoughts are.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
I read your thread about that and don't dispute your findings. Scientifically speaking, how do you suppose the CAI with the stock maf tube diameter and a stock throttle body of 80mm picked up 2 mph? Do you suppose it is the volume of air in the intake tube? Or the angle of entry? I'm curious to what your thoughts are.

Pmas doesn't use an OEM sized MAF tube. It's actually 120mm and comes with a calibrated MAF sensor, that's why the stock tune works with the larger housing.

Shaun@AED

I've back to back dyno tested the Airaid CAI with insert IN and OUT.
Zero difference in dyno HP. 12HP gained on the dyno (hood UP) vs the stock CAI.

IMO the stock air box + open front grille is just as good as any CAI at the drag strip. I ran 10's on motor with the stock air box in my 2012GT.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
I've back to back dyno tested the Airaid CAI with insert IN and OUT.
Zero difference in dyno HP. 12HP gained on the dyno (hood UP) vs the stock CAI.

IMO the stock air box + open front grille is just as good as any CAI at the drag strip. I ran 10's on motor with the stock air box in my 2012GT.

Shaun, what did the car mph and what was the DA and the race weight?

Jdm351

Established Member
Pmas doesn't use an OEM sized MAF tube. It's actually 120mm and comes with a calibrated MAF sensor, that's why the stock tune works with the larger housing.
Didn't realize the pmas uses a calibrated MAF. That makes sense for gaining the flow through the intake tube. Still can't scientifically understand added power through the stock TB though. When I look at this stuff I just look for the restriction. To me, it's the factory paper filter or the throttle body.

D1STRRBD

Established Member
With CAI and axle back you say you ran 11.96...without 12.04. That difference in time does not justify the cost of the mods. But in the end with them you win without you lose. Sure that difference in time is a drivers race. But if you end up racing driver as good as yourself. They have the mods and you do not. You will lose more than you will win. In drag racing mph does not give you the win. That is my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread