Removing '03 Air Silencer, detailed pics

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
I used the instructions here and added pics where I thought necessary.

Got the link from the folks in this thread; http://www.forums.svtperformance.com/showthread.php?threadid=14201

For bigger pics go to my photo album and look at the phots with prefix "AS" (for air silencer)

fd9da21f.jpg

Just flip open the circle clamp that holds the airfilter housing to the air intake. Don't worry about the little wire thing in my hand, turns out you can do the whole job without removing anything but the bolt in the next pic.

fd9da148.jpg

Remove this single bolt, 5/16 socket

fd9da1ec.jpg

AIR SILENCER AND FILTERHOUSING. Be prepared to wrestle the assembly out of the fender. Once the clamp is removed and the bolt is out it is basically just sitting there but requires good old grunt to get it out.

fd9da175.jpg

Seperate the airfilter housing from the air silencer (dumb name if you ask me, it is a "snorkel")

fd9da0a1.jpg

View from top when complete and reassembled. Ready to gulp gobs of fresh air and make stupid horsepower!

Last edited:

shesalady

Established Member
:beer: Received my 03 Mineral Gray coupe on Friday didn't get to pick up until Saturday June 15, 2002. I have missed the Cobra purr since I got rid of my 98. My husband thinks I'm crazy but I am what you could say anal about my car. Had her to 115 handeled great. I feel lucky after reading about everyone horror stories on cost and such. Have a few questions what some advise/guidance.

I ordered the bra and it came in but the packaging said 99 well they tried to tell me it would fit because the front hadn't been changed well I explained to them I may be blonde but it came out of a bottle. So do you have one or know if anyone who has one and what the stock number is?

And I know what you mean on the exhaust they took the cheap way on the 03 for exhaust they used to be polished pipe all the way now these are just inserted tips, plan on changing mine also. Gonna take the silencer off this evening miss the hum even thought she wines.

I love you pics I should do that but really haven't had time. I live in the Panhandle and boy have I gotten some looks the dealership here only got two of these babies one coupe and one convertible and opps I got the coupe.

Does anyone know the earliest date anyone got there cobra? I signed on the 14th drove on the 15th.

Well have fun cruisin shes a doll:kaboom:

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by shesalady
Well have fun cruisin shes a doll:kaboom:
I think you meant: Well have fun cruisin shes a doll :thumbsup:

:-D, the other one means: :punch:

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Originally posted by StangD281
No K&N in there???? I thought I saw the factory yellow filter...

Just have to stop by RAMoverCHARGERS and grab one (old and lazy)

Mowgli

Established Member
thanks for the thread

Thanks!

THESE are the types of threads that set this board apart.

I got my call from the dealer, delivery eta of the 8th ,woo hoo. All goes well, by the 9th I'll have done this exact same thing.

Postban: Question on the intact location:

Where its sitting do you expect to get splash up? Also, being located right under the hood-to-fender seam, and apparently over the cutouts for hte brake cooling do you think there will be any problems with water?

I know it seems like a dumb question, but I had hood problems with my 94 GT and recently blew an engine from water damage (different car) so maybe I'm a bit paranoid.

Thanks for any info.

As I start modding I'll try to do the same as this - get my digital camera out and record the work and post it.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
I'm sure water will find a way to get near it but it is a pretty tortuous path. I have to drive home in pouring rain today (frick) so this might be the test-of-fire (er... water)

anteros511

Established Member
Originally posted by postban
I'm sure water will find a way to get near it but it is a pretty tortuous path. I have to drive home in pouring rain today (frick) so this might be the test-of-fire (er... water)

I'm looking to do this mod, as for water, I think I'll do a little test by spraying the hell out of the hood/front with a water hose first to see if any water reaches the area around it.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Anyone else using the Holley Track Flow from Summit racing?

It is not only claimed to be better filter, it is also Ford Blue - those K&N's are way too close to Bowtie Red for my taste. ;-)

Mowgli

Established Member
anteros, i'm out of date abit. how's your car running?

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Originally posted by i8u
any water problems?
Does water go up your cold air setup?

None yet. Drove it home in a serious storm (half hydro-planing) and was worried the whole time. When I checked there was no water in the bottom of the airbox and filter was dry but the front leading edge of the hood blanket got wet. That is a good bit forward of the airbox. Under the hood was mostly dry.:shrug:

i8u

Established Member
Originally posted by postban

None yet. Drove it home in a serious storm (half hydro-planing) and was worried the whole time. When I checked there was no water in the bottom of the airbox and filter was dry but the front leading edge of the hood blanket got wet. That is a good bit forward of the airbox. Under the hood was mostly dry.:shrug:

Looks like a great idea! I was thinging of a removable door to block any water if if was a problem. Did your hood blanket become wet more likely from your cold air set up or just your hood mods?

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
The area of wetness was not local to either the cold air outlet or the hood vents.

It was just at the very front/top edge, and went from there to about 3 inches back.

Mowgli

Established Member
One quick question on this, Did anyone remove the upper radiator hose to remove the intake? Seems a tight squeeze to get it out without doing so.

p3pete

Toys R Us Kid
Established Member
Mowgli,
I removed the entire air box without removing the radiator hose. It is a tight squeeze, but can be done with a little effort.
Cheers,
Pete

Mowgli

Established Member
Hmm, ya'll must know how to bend things I don't.

<nudge nudge> <wink wink>

Granted, I did try to do it in the dark. (Don't ask)

Users who are viewing this thread