Removing brake calipers

C3SVT

Established Member
Was going to remove all 4 calipers this weekend and paint them. But I'm reading my chitons and it says something about if any air gets in the lines, a special l tool is needed to bleed them again!

Can I get some advice on removing my calipers? I upgraded to some slotted and drilled rotors from AM and plan on installing these at the same time.

I suppose I could just remove the caliper from the rotor and paint it that way, but it was hoping to bring them inside so I could stay warm while painting. I'm using the Dupli color caliper paint from a can with a brush. I can get my garage to about 60 deg but only while running my propane heat.

96S/Cobra

Established Member
If you remove a caliper, then you will need to "bleed" the system to remove all the air that you introduced into the system when you removed the caliper. There must be zero air in the brake system for it to work properly.

If you are wanting to paint the calipers, then doing all 4 at once would be the best bet, that way you only have to bleed the system one time. You do not need a special tool to do so (though they do make one which allows you to bleed them by yourself). All you need is a small wrench/deep well socket (approx. 8mm or 5/16") to break the bleeder loose. It takes two people to do this. One in the car pumping the brakes, the other to crack the bleeder loose. You better look up a how to so you do it right, otherwise you will just introduce more air into the lines if you do it wrong. Always start bleeding from the caliper furthest away from the master cylinder. So in this order: right rear, left rear, right front, then left front.

Just remember, brake fluid is very corrosive, so use a rag/drip pan to control the spray/drips from the bleeder screw on the calipers when you "crack" the bleeder loose. And make sure to clean off any fluid that may get on any of the car so it doesn't end up corroding anything.

MASSHOLE_SN95

Established Member
I painted mine about a month ago. I used 2 cans of the caliper paint and 1 1/2 cans sealer.
Maybe that was overkill, but they look GOOD! One thing I messed up on, I completely removed my calipers from the car. When I put them back on I reused the copper washers where the brake line attaches to the caliper. Be sure you get new washers. I lost brake pedal a day after I finished because I was leaking BAD where the washers go.

mustang3X

Established Member
Bleeding brakes is not hard, is easier with 2 people though.

I'm right up the road from you, I wouldn't want to be painting in this weather, too wet and cold.

Cobranator

Established Member
Was going to remove all 4 calipers this weekend and paint them. But I'm reading my chitons and it says something about if any air gets in the lines, a special l tool is needed to bleed them again!

Can I get some advice on removing my calipers? I upgraded to some slotted and drilled rotors from AM and plan on installing these at the same time.

I suppose I could just remove the caliper from the rotor and paint it that way, but it was hoping to bring them inside so I could stay warm while painting. I'm using the Dupli color caliper paint from a can with a brush. I can get my garage to about 60 deg but only while running my propane heat.

What the shop manual is talking about is the HCU..hydraulic control unit...for the ABS. If you get air in it than you won't be able to properly bleed the system without the expensive tool that only a shop has. To prevent this make sure that the master cylinder is fully toped up when bleeding the brakes so air doesn't get drawn in and keep toping it up during the bleeding procedure until you're done completely bleeding the brake lines.

C3SVT

Established Member
So I take it removing the cap from the master cylinder and removing half the fluid is a bad idea! Just quoting the chiltons.

Also, I keep reading that I should plug the line when removing from caliper. What have you guys used to "plug" the line?

spray'n mach 1

Established Member
just fyi, I used alot of tape and newspaper. I just removed the caliper for the rotors and painted them on the car. take your time, mine came out nice..good luck

Users who are viewing this thread