Removing Shifter Boot

galaxy

Established Member
Trying to remove the shifter boot to install my Shifteck kit. I’ve been pulling on the boot ring (the piece that attaches to the console) about as hard as I dare without confirming that it does in fact just snap out. I watched a video on installing a boot in a S550 car and figured ours should be the same darn thing. But this thing just doesn’t have the feel like it snaps in place. Want to confirm before I tackle it again and pull harder. Thanks guys.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
ran into same issue when installing MGW...i had to use a screwdriver very carefully and borrowed another set of hands to keep even tension pulling.

neither of mine simply “snapped” out

galaxy

Established Member
...but it does just snap in place though? No screws or something that needs to be removed first? If it breaks...how expensive can that one little piece be :-/

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
it does easily go back in. not sure on price though, sorry. i think one of the MGW videos showed home removing it briefly, but i could be wrong.

galaxy

Established Member
My bad...I could have worded that last response better...was just confirming that it does in fact snap out (not in)....albeit difficultly.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
It's hard to come out because it's not supposed to come out. If it's like the S197, you're supposed to lift out the whole console mid section.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
oh shit I’m sorry! I didn’t realize you didn’t have the console up! thanks @GT Premi

galaxy

Established Member
Yea, the CJPP video I saw, shows them just snapping the ring out with the console installed. Not a Shelby, but I figured all this would be the same. Mine does NOT want to snap out.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Hmm... Looks like it snaps out easily enough. In that case, I don't see why it wouldn't just snap out on the GT350, too. Thanks for posting the video. After watching the installation, I'm gonna pass. Drilling out those rivets then crazy gluing it back together is an invitation for future buzzing or rattling.

ANGREY

Established Member
You're not alone. It may indeed come out, but it doesn't come out (at least it didn't for me) as easily as that video. When I did my MGW, I just took the whole center console out and modified the boot with it still attached to the console. I couldn't get it to separate and I didn't want to tear it or damage the console.

galaxy

Established Member
I'll give that a shot.

GT Premi...I think what you're saying is pretty low threat. Those plastic rivets only serve to clamp down around the boot. The right adhesive will hold. Besides...I took my new boot and held it up in place around that cheap vinyl they use...it'll be worth the risk. Night and day difference.

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
The console is so easy to remove, it's probably better to pop it out completely and work the fasteners from below. The MGW video shows how it's done.

galaxy

Established Member
Ooohhh, that's a good, clear video! Thank you! Yea, you can tell from that video the bezel just has those interior clips on them, but dang they're a mother f$#%er from the top. I'm gonna go with the MGW technique to get that sucker out.

galaxy

Established Member
So I finally got around to getting the console out (came down with the crud this week). That MGW video was key. The boot ring is held in place with five clips; no rocket science. But it was literally a night and day difference between just pulling up on it (as in the CJPP video) and getting the console up far enough to be able to help push from the bottom while pulling up.

There was just no way mine was going to pop off from the top the way it looks in the CJPP video. Mine was going to break.

Just a tip for the next guy.

Users who are viewing this thread