Removing turbo question?

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
I need to remove my turbo to check to see if it is indeed a T76. I'm beginning to think the low dyno numbers may be attributed to a smaller than what I am supposed to have turbo.

Do I need to drain the oil from the motor to remove it? I'm just wanting to make sure no oil goes dripping all over the place when I remove the oil feed/return lines from the turbo. Also, what type of epoxy do you all recommend for when I re-install the turbo (or is any needed at all between the hot side of the turbo and the head pipe? Thanks.

TRBO VNM

no worries about the oil unless you just cranked it. the feed line will be fine, but I would recommend disconnecting the battery. the oil drain may have some drops, but nothing major. the big thing will be the upper coolant line. if you can get the turbo out without removing it, that is best. if you have to remove it you will need to drain some coolant and reburb the system.

when putting it back together, I would still keep the metal gasket in there. if you want to use some hi temp rtv, that is fine. I think I have used the ultra copper with decent success.

good luck.

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
no worries about the oil unless you just cranked it. the feed line will be fine, but I would recommend disconnecting the battery. the oil drain may have some drops, but nothing major. the big thing will be the upper coolant line. if you can get the turbo out without removing it, that is best. if you have to remove it you will need to drain some coolant and reburb the system.

when putting it back together, I would still keep the metal gasket in there. if you want to use some hi temp rtv, that is fine. I think I have used the ultra copper with decent success.

good luck.

Cool, thanks Jason. This is my next step on figuring out where my lost hp is. Next I will have to tackle the blue smokey start-ups. It seems apparent the kit I bought was an older Hellion kit, so I wonder if the older kits have the oil restrictors with them? Just trying to narrow down the reasons for the smoke screens when I start the car.

TRBO VNM

yes, the older kits did. and actually it isn't a kit thing. it is a turbonetics thing. All their turbos that I have seen come with the restrictor. it is that brass fitting already on the top of the turbo where you attach the 90 degree fitting for the oil feed. if you took that 90 degree out, you should see a mesh material in the fitting.

I have seen the blue smoke at start up as a common thing with these cars. some cars do it and some don't. is it just a quick puff when you first start it up after it has been sitting and then it goes away? a lot of people remedy this with the oil catch can, but they can still do it even with the catch can.

SVTboy

Established Member
If you take out the fan you should have plenty of room to get it out.

Can you maybe take a pic of the inlet of the turbo and post it, might be able to tell without taking it all off. Did you try and check the back edge like I showed you???

Onelfastlride

Established Member
Cool, thanks Jason. This is my next step on figuring out where my lost hp is. Next I will have to tackle the blue smokey start-ups. It seems apparent the kit I bought was an older Hellion kit, so I wonder if the older kits have the oil restrictors with them? Just trying to narrow down the reasons for the smoke screens when I start the car.

Isn't the turbo Identification # on a sticker on the compressor backing plate? You'll have to double check with Jason, but if so, can't you see it without removing the turbo? Maybe use a mirror.

Did you ever fix your wastegate springs? Again, you don't install multiple springs, just shim.

I'm fairly certain, the Turbonetics Turbos do NOT use an oil restrictor. The fitting installed is an oil screen to catch garbage. You can search the turbonetic site forums and they do not recommend restrictors.

When you pull your turbo, check for oil on the inlet of the compressor and the outlet of the turbine. If you have oil there that could be your blue puff of smoke and could be oil getting past the seals.

Turbonetics will tell you make sure your drain line is a straight shot down to the oil pan. With the proper oil drain line size and routing, you do not need a restrictor.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

Isn't the turbo Identification # on a sticker on the compressor backing plate? You'll have to double check with Jason, but if so, can't you see it without removing the turbo? Maybe use a mirror.

Did you ever fix your wastegate springs? Again, you don't install multiple springs, just shim.

I'm fairly certain, the Turbonetics Turbos do NOT use an oil restrictor. The fitting installed is an oil screen to catch garbage. You can search the turbonetic site forums and they do not recommend restrictors.

When you pull your turbo, check for oil on the inlet of the compressor and the outlet of the turbine. If you have oil there that could be your blue puff of smoke and could be oil getting past the seals.

Turbonetics will tell you make sure your drain line is a straight shot down to the oil pan. With the proper oil drain line size and routing, you do not need a restrictor.

I was informed that the fitting was a restrictor as well. and it wasn't just anyone off the street.

he did get the number off the turbo and called turbonetics. they said it wasn't in their system. so he is stuck doing what he is doing now.

Onelfastlride

Established Member
I was informed that the fitting was a restrictor as well. and it wasn't just anyone off the street.

he did get the number off the turbo and called turbonetics. they said it wasn't in their system. so he is stuck doing what he is doing now.

Huh.........

cause this thread, the tech support answer says they don't

http://www.turboneticsownersclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=704&highlight=oil+restrictor

But none the less, guess the real way to tell is simply remove it, and measure the outlet hole. Looks like a lot of restrictors are in the 0.050 to 0.065" range.

I kinda wonder, half ass guess, if this fitting is a compromise. Turbonetic turbos aren't true dual ball bearing. I think they use 1 ball bearing and 1 journal. Ball bearings need very little oil, journals need a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread