Removing wallpaper glue before painting?

LOVESBOOST

Established Member
Used water down 409 and a razor and removed a lot of the glue, then used watered down mr clean and very hot water and removed some more. Did this several times and there is still some glue present. Then used a orbital sander with some very fine paper, so not to hurt the drywall to much, and it doesn't seem to be doing much.

I am open to any ideas you guys may have, I am at the end of my rope, very frustrated with this project right now!

NastyNate420

Established Member
AHH wall paper is always fun to remover. Id try to buy the wallpaper removal spray from home depot. if that doesnt work then maybe some courser sand paper. Depending on the area sometimes i jus opt to up 3/8 drywall on top or skim coat the area. GOOD LUCK !

wundrbird

Proud Father
Established Member
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Zinsser-2466-Wallpaper-Stripper-32-Ounce/dp/B0015ODY08]Amazon.com: Zinsser 2466 DIF GEL Spray Ready To Use Wallpaper Stripper, 32-Ounce: Home Improvement[/ame]

Try that. Worked wonders for me a few times.

Don't use it straight, though. I've found it works best when diluted with HOT water. Pour most of it into another container, leaving about a sixth of it in the spray bottle. Fill the rest of the way with hot water, shake it up, and spray on the glue while still hot. It should soften the glue enough to scrape off in just a few minutes (keep the glue wet the entire time). Use a pull scraper instead of a push scraper to prevent gouging the drywall's paper top layer.

Last edited:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Uh my place I pulled the TEXTURED wallpaper off the walls and primed and painted. 6 years no issues.

Graves

Established Member
Use the wall paper removal chemical stuff at Lowe's or HD. Peel off the outer layer first, then mix the chemical with warm water in a bowl. Soak a sponge in the stuff and wipe it over sections of the still-glued-on backing. Let it sit for a few seconds, then use something like a credit card (hard plastic and thin) to scrape off the left over junk.

I did this and removed a bathroom full of wall paper in about 30-40 minutes.

Let dry over night. Then paint.

LOVESBOOST

Established Member
The wallpaper came off well, but the glue remained, and my concern is painting over the glue, won't adhere properly. But I appreciate the advise guys and will check into the DIF stuff and the stuff at HD, I got a lot of walls to "de-glue" and will have ample time to try all these ideas!

Thanks guys

ChrisRedGT

Established Member
I used a big towel and hot/warm water. Use the towel like you are removing wax from a car. Small circles, rotating the part of the towel on the wall every couple of turns. To see if you got it all, run wet hands over the wall. If it feels slimy there is more glue left.

WP64

I Couldn't Care Less...
Established Member
Stop now, OP. You don't need to take all the glue off, prime and paint it. If you have gone through any areas of the top paper (usually a white/gray color) of the drywall prime those areas with a oil base primer like Zinsser High Hide Cover Stain oil primer sealer available at Home Depot, this will seal the drywall and not allow it to bubble up, but again, you only need to do this in areas where you've gone through the top drywall paper or scratched through the top paper.

If the glue is leaving a texture on the surface of your wall and that's why you want to remove it a high 3/4" nap roller will probably cover it after a couple of coats. If the glue is really thick the roller might not cover it, in this situation I'd personally cover the wall with a thin top coat of quick set mud/plaster, lightly sand it after it's dry and move on to the primer coat.

Never paint over wall paper, that's a lazy man's method and rarely will it turn out well.

Hope that helps

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
Amazon.com: Zinsser 2466 DIF GEL Spray Ready To Use Wallpaper Stripper, 32-Ounce: Home Improvement

Try that. Worked wonders for me a few times.

Don't use it straight, though. I've found it works best when diluted with HOT water. Pour most of it into another container, leaving about a sixth of it in the spray bottle. Fill the rest of the way with hot water, shake it up, and spray on the glue while still hot. It should soften the glue enough to scrape off in just a few minutes (keep the glue wet the entire time). Use a pull scraper instead of a push scraper to prevent gouging the drywall's paper top layer.

x2 on The DIF suggestion! GREAT STUFF!

Fordman9870

Proud Dad of Twin Marines
Established Member
When i removed mine there was tons of glue. i had to spray the chemical glue remover and wait 10 minutes and use the scraper to remove the glue. I had to do this about 10 times to remove all the glue. P.I.T.A but it finally came off. maybe that's why i haven't done the other rooms yet haha.
you can also buy more wallpaper (the kind you can paint on (I.E LAZY MAN)) no glue removing, or mudding needed. problem solved

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
Another idea....

One of the rooms in my house was very difficult to get the wallpaper off. They had pretty much glued it straight to the drywall....So I borrowed a "splatter gun" and shot all the walls with texture.....Painted over it and you can't even tell! Been holding up great for a year now thus far!

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
just paint over it lol do it the Navy waY "Once over dust , twice over rust"...lol

Users who are viewing this thread