Renting a house... Scam?

1994ta

I'm currently looking to rent a house in Ann Arbor and I emailed on one place I saw to get more info. This is the email I got back from him, does this smell like a scam to anyone? He included a phone number but I'm not sure I want to pay that kind of money for a phone call if it's going to be a scam anyway. Thoughts please.
Hello ,

I am presently in west africa (Benin Republic) on transfer i will be staying for like 3 to 5 years, I will like you to give me your full info and how long you will be staying. The place will be avaliable for 1st of August. you can go check out the location and see if you are ok with it . an upfront payment is required before moving in, i will send you the other keys and copies of the house documents after you have checked it. the rent also covers all the utilities, price is $1100.

It's located very close to where you can take a public transport. Please I pray that you are the right person to take over this house because I want a decent person who can take care of the place since am not around to monitor it as am out of united states.There are tenants in there already and will vacate soon and i do not want to continue working with the agents as they are not making sure all is well with the place and too much price while i prefer a good person to take care of the place. please do not disturb tenants let us work together to achieve this process i am not happy renting out in my absence but with your coporation and TRUST IN GOD we will get done without hitch.

The exact address is: *(I hid the address)*
PLEASE DO NOT DISTURB TENANTS
DATE AVALIABLE: 1st of August

you can call to speak with me ( Mr. Rekha McGuire) on church Number#, Below is an application form to have a look at your profile before we take the decision to work with you fill and get back.

Rental Application:
1)Your Full Name:
2)Your Full Address:
3) Phone Numbers:
4)Marital Status:
5)How many people will be living in the place?
6)Do you have a pet?
7)Do you have a car?
8)Occupation?
9)Date of Birth ...................................(mm................/dd/.......................yy)
10)income per month[estimate]
11)Is there anything special we should know about you?......................................................................................
12)Your Previous Rental Location:
13)Reason for leaving current Address:
14)move in date if different from stated date................................(mm................/dd/..........yy)

Waiting for your response if interested.

God bless you.
Mr. Rekha McGuire.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
I'd go knock on the door and talk to the ppl currently living there. I'll bet they'd be interested in what's going on if they own the place...

txyaloo

Established Member
Yes, it's completely a scam. That is the same form email the Nigerian scammers use when trying to buy products off the internet. I'd move on.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
It's a scam...stay away!!!!!!!!!

On a lighter note, Ann Arbor, huh? We have t-shirts in scarlet and gray here in Ohio that say "Ann Arbor is a whore." I think it's funny. ;-)

1994ta

I'd go knock on the door and talk to the ppl currently living there. I'll bet they'd be interested in what's going on if they own the place...

That's not a bad idea actually..

and to jpro, I may live in Ann Arbor, but it doesn't mean I'm not a buckeye fan :)

Ltd10th03cobra

3.4 Whipple Crusher 22psi
Established Member
All I had to read was the dude is in Africa. Dude in Africa and wants you to give upfront money = scam

Users who are viewing this thread