Renting Help New York

slow2002gt

Detective Kia
Established Member
Hello all!
Me and my fiance are moving to NY as close as we can go Garden City as I am not familiar with this place at all how decent are the areas around there?
Is it possible for us to find a decent place (somewhere garaged I can store the cobra) for our BAH at 2200?
Been looking online and I dont like how expensive everything is but this is her next duty station.
Suggestions? I dont want to end up in some crap hole area
Thanks!

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Do you not get 30 days TLF? You don't have a sponsor that can give you info about the local area?

96 cobra

Established Member
Garden city is very expensive and pompous.
I lived in the area for around 15yrs.

I'd look for a place in Mineola (just north of GC), stay away from Hempstead.

slow2002gt

Detective Kia
Established Member
Garden city is very expensive and pompous.
I lived in the area for around 15yrs.

I'd look for a place in Mineola (just north of GC), stay away from Hempstead.

Whats wrong with Hempstead? Ill be trying to find a job doing security/joining police force (during nights for security guard) and try to go to school and find a 2ndary job during the day to support the car habit.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Whats wrong with Hempstead? Ill be trying to find a job doing security/joining police force (during nights for security guard) and try to go to school and find a 2ndary job during the day to support the car habit.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-employee-after-one-day-being-high-pills.html

Looks like it has a reputation of being a bad place.

I wish you the best of luck, my sister just moved to Manhattan last month and it was a PITA for her to find a place being a 21 year old college graduate. She went through a broker and still had to give 3 months rent as a deposit.

slow2002gt

Detective Kia
Established Member
Looking at zillow guess it would be impossible for me to find a garage in our price range might have to rely on a storage unit instead :X

96 cobra

Established Member
Hempstead's far from being the 'worst' area of Long Island, but several of the adjacent towns are much nicer.

Is Hempstead , NY a bad area to live? (Florida: apartment, crime) - City-Data Forum

That city-data site has a Long Island forum, it might be helpful to join and/or search: Long Island Forum - Relocation, Moving, Local City Discussions - City-Data Forum

Unfortunately most anywhere in Nassau County is going to be relatively pricy. How many years will she be stationed in the Garden City area? Do you guys have kids?

Last edited:

slow2002gt

Detective Kia
Established Member
Hempstead's far from being the 'worst' area of Long Island, but several of the adjacent towns are much nicer.

Is Hempstead , NY a bad area to live? (Florida: apartment, crime) - City-Data Forum

That city-data site has a Long Island forum, it might be helpful to join and/or search: Long Island Forum - Relocation, Moving, Local City Discussions - City-Data Forum

Unfortunately most anywhere in Nassau County is going to be relatively pricy. How many years will she be stationed in the Garden City area? Do you guys have kids?

Yes 1 child newborn shes currently on leave so we havent got a sponser yet.

She will be here min of 4 yrs

96 cobra

Established Member
At least you won't need to be too concerned with the area's middle/high schools for the immediate future. I don't have kids, but I hear researching school districts isn't a fun time.

The traffic in the area isn't the greatest, but can be a pain.
Extending your travel/commute range a bit should open up alot more living options.

96 cobra

Established Member
...I registered myself on city data to ask more questions about rent seems alot of people would rather leave long island than come there.

Absolutely... as soon as I have the funds to leave (and the housing market is a bit more in my favor) I'm high-tailing it out of here with zero regrets.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
LOL what? Since when were you provided a pcs sponsor?

The OP says he BAH is $2200. So I'm going to assume he is in the service. I don't know how the other services work. But in the AF you are assigned a sponsor from your gaining unit to help with transition. Hence my question.

slow2002gt

Detective Kia
Established Member
The OP says he BAH is $2200. So I'm going to assume he is in the service. I don't know how the other services work. But in the AF you are assigned a sponsor from your gaining unit to help with transition. Hence my question.

Hasnt been assigned one yet as she is still on maternity leave and dont have to execute orders for a few months.
I see less and less people willing to say move there, but its the military if we cancel now who knows where we will go.

Users who are viewing this thread