Renting vs owning a home and vehicles.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Areas that are planning to develop and add new shopping centers and stores are a great place to start research on an investment, imho. i.e. an area that hasn't been overdeveloped, but shows signs that there will be lots of demand in the near future.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Areas that are planning to develop and add new shopping centers and stores are a great place to start research on an investment, imho. i.e. an area that hasn't been overdeveloped, but shows signs that there will be lots of demand in the near future.
That can be a huge gamble. Dependent on how far out you are projecting.

Never_Enough

Established Member
bottom line is, if you can afford a 30-50k car, you can afford a house. so IMO yes it is stupid to rent (unless you are young), and it is stupid to rent a house while owning a brand new/expensive car. I rented for a bit, because I couldn't afford a house. I also had shitty $5000 cars. I saved up and bought a house when I was 22. There is no way I could have done that if I had bought a brand new car.
Depends on the area & what sort of house you need/would be happy with. Why buy something you do not want/doesn't meet your needs just to buy?
Pros & cons to everything & YMMV

Terminator Dave

Established Member
Without getting stoned to death, but where are you going to work on your cars, or simply to keep them safe, if you don't have a dedicated garage, speaking about an apartment? Renting a garage will be pricey. No definitely don't buy if you can't afford it through the lean and fat times, not that shit doesn't happen. As for me only, if I didn't buy back in the 70's, there would no way to afford it now. Buying homes, or having kids is for the young....

Sent from my 2PS64 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

nxhappy

Established Member
It's really not hard to find a good deal. You pull comps from the area within the last year and compare the price to square footage.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
That can be a huge gamble. Dependent on how far out you are projecting.
Not necessarily related to investment property, but consider trying to determine if there are any huge changes in the community development plan (i.e. new highway, or sewer plant planned for installation, or if any military bases are on the BRAC list) I did some basic research before buying acreage. Things can always change of course, but just finding a nice property and hoping to make money on it is risky. I have yet to purchase foreclosure properties, but that is on my list to do too.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
It's really not hard to find a good deal. You pull comps from the area within the last year and compare the price to square footage.
Price per square foot in San Diego is 400+. It was one-fourth of that in Colorado, plus less traffic, pollution, road rage, etc...

jaxbusa

Established Member
it can be depending on where you live. some places are just dead when it comes to the real estate market. Vegas experienced a development boom and then when the bubble popped tons of people walked away from their homes, leaving entire neighborhoods empty. some people were hanging onto their homes and trying to sell them but most buyers werent looking to buy into ghost town of a neighborhood.

and then you have some areas where there are just no jobs. people dont want to move there. people are trying to get out. it can be really tough to sell a home in an area like that. and just as tough to move and rent the place out.

Not only that, but moving is just a financial kick in the nads. And moving just plain sucks. I just recently moved into a house that I had built. I still owned the house that I moved from. Once all of my stuff was out, I finished painting and a few other small maintenance items on the old house. My new place was about an hour drive one way so it didn't make much sense to work on the house after work because I would only be able to spend an hour or two there due to the time commuting. I only worked on it on the weekends. It took about a month and a half to get it on the market. You then get locked in to 6% going to a realtor. A potential buyer had the home inspected and that revealed some electrical issues that I didn't know about. I could have had the items professionally fixed or taken money off of the asking price. I was told by the realtor to keep the water and power on, which cost money to keep the air conditioner on. When someone buys the house you have to agreed about who pays the closing costs. Then time off of work to meet for the closing. Not many people have the money to keep this up. Especially after splurging on various items for the new house. Chit got real.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Coiled03

Established Member
It's not hard to break even in the housing market if you're smart about buying. You have to get away from the "my house makes me money" / "It's always a good time to buy" mentality.

What? That's what you've been spouting this whole thread, how smart it is to buy, and how easy it is to make money with a house.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I'm renting for first time after owning for years. Kinda like it.

I'm not fixing this, I'm not paying for that. Don't need a lawn mower or any of that BS taking up garage space.

Not for everyone I guess but I have no desire to stay in this area beyond another 10 years so I see no need to get established then have to deal with selling when I'm ready. I'll take cheap rent with none of the headaches while I save for my escape from this state.

There's certainly some value there. It's nice to be able to skip out on all the upkeep.

Blown 89

Established Member
What? That's what you've been spouting this whole thread, how smart it is to buy, and how easy it is to make money with a house.
If you read what I posted early you'd see I don't think people should think of houses as income. I'm talking about how financially irresponsible and stupid it is to pay someone else's mortgage when you're capable of paying your own. There isn't really any risk if you're not an idiot when you purchase one.

Never_Enough

Established Member
If you read what I posted early you'd see I don't think people should think of houses as income. I'm talking about how financially irresponsible and stupid it is to pay someone else's mortgage when you're capable of paying your own. There isn't really any risk if you're not an idiot when you purchase one.
No risk? SMH

Coiled03

Established Member

Maybe you're thinking of some other kind of risk beyond financial? Maybe you pulled a rip van winkle through the last housing crisis? Maybe you have no idea how to estimate total costs of ownership, or.....? There's literally no way to conclude there are no risks unless you suck at estimating them, you're completely unaware of them, or you're just being obtuse.

There's plenty of financial risks, unless you're just whistling past the graveyard when you sign the papers.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
No risk is absolutely overstated. Due diligence in market research will mitigate risk to an acceptable level. I do not make hap-hazard real estate investments, and typically research the fun out a purchase before I commit, which may have cost me a little gain due to my delay. I may make slightly less than predicted, but to date, I've been fortunate enough not to lose.

Blown 89

Established Member
Maybe you're thinking of some other kind of risk beyond financial? Maybe you pulled a rip van winkle through the last housing crisis? Maybe you have no idea how to estimate total costs of ownership, or.....? There's literally no way to conclude there are no risks unless you suck at estimating them, you're completely unaware of them, or you're just being obtuse.

There's plenty of financial risks, unless you're just whistling past the graveyard when you sign the papers.
I came out smelling like roses with a ton of cash in the bank ready to buy a house when the market crashed. Not because I'm a magical wizard but because I'm not a moron. A house that cost $100k a few years ago that all the sudden cost $1mil should raise a few concerns about buying. Taking emotions out of the inspection process, looking at community tends, planning well in advance for a purchase, living/buying within your means....these are all things you can do to virtually eliminate catastrophic risks. It's not rocket science but looking at the idiotic decisions some people make you'd think it is.

Everyone I know that was dumb enough to buy in the bubble simply up and walked away from their homes. There wasn't any catastrophic financial repercussions other than an inconvenience of poor credit for a few years. Most used it to improve their situations.

In the end I used the money I saved preparing for the bubble to burst to buy a business and invest in another. I should thank everyone that crashed the economy.

The bottom line is that nobody is losing money renting to you other than the person renting. If the housing market is reasonable at the time that right there should be a sign you're making poor financial choices. Where do all of you renters plan on living when you retire?

nxhappy

Established Member
well, usually renters rent for life LOL. They bounce around like little ping pong balls. And land lords collect all the benefits...

Users who are viewing this thread