Repainted New Car

whitesnake03

Venomous Tennessean
Established Member
I just foud out that my driverside door and corner panel was repainted before I purchased it! I found this out just a while agon when I took it to Victory Ford for an oil change. While the mechanic was looking at my car and checking the oil, the woman at the desk asked me why I had my door and quarter panel repainted for? I said "Huh"? She then knew she said the wrong thing? So I asked who, why, what, where, and when? She stated that the OASIS didn't say what it was for, but my car did have paint work done on it? What would you ladies and gents recommend on this situation because I am not a happy camper!
Oh and I didn't get my oil change because they said I don't have 3,000 miles on my car yet, but I have had her for 6 months! I looked in my owners manual and it states there is either a time frame or mileage time frame I can get the oil changed, but when calling the dealer from where I purchased it, he told me it was 4,000 miles and he didn't know anything about the car having paint work on it, so again I am not a happy camper! Mostly when she is almost a quart low! Sorry for flaming, but this chapps my ass!!!
:fm: :fm: :cuss: :cuss:

Hunter

Crazy Insane SVT Poster!
Established Member
I would press the issue with Ford and the with the dealership. I would be PISSED off if that was my car!:gt:

whitesnake03

Venomous Tennessean
Established Member
How would I go about it because I have read many of threads in here that watch what you say to Ford because you could get nothing? So I want to say the right things? You know what I mean?:shrug:

Hunter

Crazy Insane SVT Poster!
Established Member
Just let them know that you were not told of the re-paint before purchase, and that you bought a "new" car, not a "touched-up" car. Surely someone on this board would know of something "legal" you can do about this. What dealer did you buy the car from, so others can be warned of them?

haskett

Established Member
There was a similar thread a couple of months ago. I think it was a quarter panel, in that instance. Do a search and maybe see who it was and what the resolution was ?

You need to ask yourself what it would take to make you happy. Work with the dealership to satisfy you, but be prepared to escalate to other channels if necessary.

Keep us informed ! Hopefully others here have some constructive advice.

whitesnake03

Venomous Tennessean
Established Member
It was Neil Sandlers Ford in Knoxville, TN, but there was a dealer transfer from Friendship Ford, and I don't know where that is. I just called Victory Ford and spoke with the Service Advisor and she said that Friendship Ford did have the car painted at a collision repair shop. The OASIS stated that there was front door spray repair. That is all of the info they have. Hope this helps?:shrug:

bborder

Established Member
You'd be surprised how many cars get touched up once they arrive at the dealership. This is pretty common from what I understand. Mine had a flaw in the paint and I had them refinish the rear quarter panel. Its a professional touch up from a body shop and its not like you noticed it from looking at it, someone had to tell you about it. I don't understand your concern. Its not like it devalues the car in any way or affects the way it looks. It would be another thing if the car sustained some sort of frame damage and was repaired, but this is merely cosmetic. I wouldn't make a fuss about it unless there is a problem with the repair.

Friendchicken

I'm with Bborder. They could have left the blemish or scratch on the car and made you wait to have it fixed before you picked it up...

repaints are usually better than factory anyway.

It's BS that you got hassled about the oil change though. I'd make a stink about it. Underline in red the part about 3,000mi OR 4 months between oil changes.

I changed mine at 1,000 mi after 2 momths. It was free anyway.

Chris C

Established Member
The oil change is free??? i got mine changed at 500miles and gonna do it again at 3000 but they charged me for my oild change...

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Here's the deal. The dealership can legally sell you a repainted car without telling you as long as the damage was bewlow a certain dollar amount (I'm thinking 500 dollars but I'm not totally sure). I specifically asked about any damage to my car before I signed on the dotted line. She told me they'd have to disclose it if the damage was over the limit. But they also have to disclose damage below that amount - IF YOU ASK.

C_Record

Established Member
Originally posted by 98kobra
I'm with Bborder. They could have left the blemish or scratch on the car and made you wait to have it fixed before you picked it up...

repaints are usually better than factory anyway.

It's BS that you got hassled about the oil change though. I'd make a stink about it. Underline in red the part about 3,000mi OR 4 months between oil changes.

I changed mine at 1,000 mi after 2 momths. It was free anyway.
I don't agree on two of your points here. MineralGrey03 should have been made aware of the paint work done to the car(it's required if the repair is over a certain dollar amount) before he signed the papers. He may have decided not to buy the car had he known about the work done to it(and who knows if there is body filler underneath the repaint). Repaints are not usually better than factory paint. Most factory paint jobs will outlast most any repaint.

T's Blk03

No Clue What Goes Here
Established Member
Originally posted by SonterraSVT
Friendship FOrd is in Vegas, I believe.

Actually Friendly Ford is in Vegas but here are 2 dealers calling themselves Friendship Ford

Oregon

Tennessee

I cannot get the link for Tennessee to work but it may just be something here at work that blocks it.

Hopefully you get to the bottom of this and it was only a cosmetic repair. :thumbsup:

FearblueR1

Established Member
I think that is bullshit, you might have a legal case. I asked my friend who owns a Chevy dealership (no flames please), and he said it might very from state to state, but to the best of his knowledge, the dealer is required to disclose any and ALL information regarding the vehicle at time of purchase. Some dealers do get away with doing dent repair, but at the very minimum, they will offer it at a slightly lower price.

I would first do everything possible to make the dealer fess up and make the situation right. If you gain no ground there call ford and svt direct. Let them know of the situation and that if you get no satisfaction, you will report this incident to the bbb!

Check the laws in your state, consult with your state attorney. Go from there. I would never accept that! You have rights as a buyer, and they can't void your warranty. I would ask them what your paint warranty is now? Who will warranty it, the paint shop or Ford??

Believe it or not you have more rights then what you think. Don't let the dealership push you around.

lifter213

Established Member
Originally posted by rcogs
Repaints are not usually better than factory paint. Most factory paint jobs will outlast most any repaint.

What makes you think that? I've owned 3 new cars so far and every one of the came with a sucky paint job from the factory. I think the Cobra has the worst paint job, very thin paint and clear. Ripples all down the panels etc. My dad does body work and paints cars and believe me a repainted car is going to look and last longer than a factory painted car. Unless you got it painted at Maaco or some dump like that. :)

C_Record

Established Member
Originally posted by lifter213
What makes you think that? I've owned 3 new cars so far and every one of the came with a sucky paint job from the factory. I think the Cobra has the worst paint job, very thin paint and clear. Ripples all down the panels etc. My dad does body work and paints cars and believe me a repainted car is going to look and last longer than a factory painted car. Unless you got it painted at Maaco or some dump like that. :)
I think that because I painted cars for a living for 15 years(and still do some on the side). Custom cars, high dollar foreign cars, exotics, bikes, you name it, I painted it. Granted, a repaint done by a quality shop and a painter who know what he's doing will look nicer than some factory paint jobs, but they won't last longer.

Mr.Mystic

This is actually a pretty common occurance. Alot of vehicles are minorly damaged during transit and are repaired. Mostly just small scratches and such. A friend bought a new 01 GT at night and when he looked it over more closely the next day he could see the quaterpanel had been touched up. It actually was a bad job so he took it back and they gave him another one. He only put like 50 miles on it so I wouldnt think its a big deal.

If you never noticed it then I wouldnt worry about it unless the damage was really bad. Most shops actually do better work than the factory. I would always ask when purchasing a new car if the car has ever been repaired in any way. I dont know if they have to tell you or not when you buy it. If it bothers you that bad see what the law says then go from there.

lifter213

Established Member
Originally posted by rcogs
I think that because I painted cars for a living for 15 years(and still do some on the side). Custom cars, high dollar foreign cars, exotics, bikes, you name it, I painted it. Granted, a repaint done by a quality shop and a painter who know what he's doing will look nicer than some factory paint jobs, but they won't last longer.

I dont agree with you but hey everyone has there opinions. :beer:

03rocks

Established Member
So the car comes out of the sprayer it dry's and look like ass when it goes through QC. Would you rather they leave it and let you decide or they fix it when they find the problem during QC?

Users who are viewing this thread