Repainting the Wheels?

clarksniper

: Anyone had their wheels repainted? I have a few light scratches around the lug's that just stand out too much, can they be repainted or should I just order another set?

Blown V8

Wheel Repair/Repaint

Yes, they can easily be repainted and recleared, typically by a company that specialize in wheel repairs/repaints. There is a business here in central Ohio who straightens/repairs/repaints aluminum/polished wheels called Wheel Collision Center. They can do some pretty amazing repairs.
I would not see any reason why you would need to purchase a completely new set of wheels.
The other thing you might try is to touch them up, which is what I did on my 00 R, as they had a few minor scratches as well when I purchased it. If you go to about any store (walmart, auto supply stores, etc), and buy the cheap chrome-looking spray paint, (no good for any other purpose that I have found!), you would be shocked to see how close the match is. What you have to do is spray some out of the can into the lid, etc, and get a very thin brush, you can typically touch up any thin scratches. After it dries, you can typically take some clear (again out of spray-bomb, or clear finger nail polish) and brush touch these areas, to give them a bit of shine. (Bright silver also does the trick if you cant find the fake chrome junk).
This worked well for me on a friends set of C5 Corvette wheels, which had been curbed extensively. Hope this helps, if all else fails, you can have the repainted, and cleared fairly reasonably.
Jeremy

Users who are viewing this thread