Replaced Tranny with TOB Noise

03_Snake

Established Member
Several weeks ago, I noticed that my throw-out bearing was making a little chatter. I would tap the side of my clutch pedal with my toe, and it went away.

I went to the SVT On Track event at Famoso and ran the quarter for the first time ever ( 13.53 @ 110mph) with only a Mag cat-back!

Anyway, after the day at the track, the TOB noise came back, but only when the pedal was OUT, and only when the RPMs were over 3K. It was a squeeling, intermittant noise.

I call my service rep and make an appointment, drop of the car and wait a couple of days.

The verdict:

All is covered by warranty
1. TOB is toast
2. due to lever which engages TOB which has "a crack in the casting" (?) I thought these levers were stamped steel, but who knows.... Perhaps the story got re-interpreted on its way from Technician to Customer.
3. They call Ford to order lever part. Ford says "we want to do failure mode analysis on the whole system" and air-freights out a new tranny overnight!!
4. New tranny and new clutch components installed and working great.
5. Ford and dealer agree that crack must have been either in a weak area of component or it was already cracked upon original installation. They say no way I could have driven the car to create this type of failure (pheeeew!)

Thats it. No squeel. Tranny feels solid.

Any others out there with similar stories??

Inquiring minds want to know......

T's Blk03

No Clue What Goes Here
Established Member
I've got the noise you describe but "it's normal" according to Ford. I'm working on smoking the clutch and will then blame it all on their error for not fixing it the 1st time it was there :-D

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
As you may or may not know I'm on tranny number three now.

T&J they told me that too. Eventually it will ruin the input shaft retainer sleeve enough that they have to replace the tranny.

Snoker

Established Member
I have the same TOB sqealing, but only after drving the car enough to heat up the drive train. It is very intermittent. Problem has been same since I got vehicle, 8500 miles ago. Dealer service tech suggests to continue to drive and unless it gets worse, he doesn't want to pull transmission. So far I have gone along.

Replacement of clutch quadrant and cable last week made a trememdous difference in shifting. More dis-engagement area than before and shifting into first/reverse is easy now.

Users who are viewing this thread