Replacement Coils

Hkaiser83

I am Captain Dynaball.
Established Member
I am told that the stock coils are good for under a thousand horse.
Something I did though was change out the COP Connectors with the bigger 0 ohm resistor versions which do two things. First of all they make a more secure connection between the COP and the plug. Two, it's a 0 ohm resistor so the 20,000 volt charge that the coils can put out builds faster and takes less juice to do so.

So in my opinion the replacement coils are a waste. I put the upgraded connectors on mine and it improved throttle response.

From what I read the replacement coils can only build the charge slightly faster than the stock coils. Stock coils make 20,000 volts which is way more than enough to ignite. The aftermarket ones make like 60,000 volts. All it means is it builds the required ignition pulse a very tiny fraction of a millisecond faster.

From what I read...

Juruense

Banned
Nothing made by Granatelli is "worth it".

I would consider giving the WeaponX ones a try if I had money to burn.

Recently I had a coil go bad and I just picked up a new one at the Ford Parts Counter for $45.

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
I am told that the stock coils are good for under a thousand horse.
Something I did though was change out the COP Connectors with the bigger 0 ohm resistor versions which do two things. First of all they make a more secure connection between the COP and the plug. Two, it's a 0 ohm resistor so the 20,000 volt charge that the coils can put out builds faster and takes less juice to do so.

So in my opinion the replacement coils are a waste. I put the upgraded connectors on mine and it improved throttle response.

From what I read the replacement coils can only build the charge slightly faster than the stock coils. Stock coils make 20,000 volts which is way more than enough to ignite. The aftermarket ones make like 60,000 volts. All it means is it builds the required ignition pulse a very tiny fraction of a millisecond faster.

From what I read...

Wait.....what? 0 ohm resistor? Where I come from we call that a "wire". It has to have some kind of resistance.....even .33 ohms is a resistor but not 0. :shrug:

Hkaiser83

I am Captain Dynaball.
Established Member
Wait.....what? 0 ohm resistor? Where I come from we call that a "wire". It has to have some kind of resistance.....even .33 ohms is a resistor but not 0. :shrug:

Not sure where you are from but they must not have a decent background in electrical engineering. Different size wires create different amounts of resistance based on the power running through it.

I meant to say it reduces the ohm resistance to 0.

I can teach you what that means if you would like. :bored:

I could also teach you how to fix your "significant belt slip" if you would like?

Last edited:

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
Not sure where you are from but they must not have a decent background in electrical engineering. Different size wires create different amounts of resistance based on the power running through it.

I meant to say it reduces the ohm resistance to 0.

I can teach you what that means if you would like. :bored:

I could also teach you how to fix your "significant belt slip" if you would like?

Sarcasm is evidently completely evasive to you. Nevermind my background and electronics education. You said this in your first post "bigger 0 ohm resistor versions" That is what I was joking about. I realize you likely meant "resistance" but I thought it was kinda funny that you refered to a bigger 0 ohm resistor, whatever. You really need not "teach" me anything as you even admitted yourself that you typed that out wrong and the way YOU worded it didn't make sense to those of us with electronic backgrounds. As for the belt slip..Umm that has long been squared away thank you very much. Just haven't been on the rollers since. Really not sure what that had to do with anything here though. Anyway sorry if you took offense at my post. It was all in jest.

Hkaiser83

I am Captain Dynaball.
Established Member
Sorry, I am typically on edge on SVTP because everyone seems to be out to prove something. Yeah, I screwed up when I typed the first post.

Thanks for the response. I apologize for being an asshole. :beer:

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
Sorry, I am typically on edge on SVTP because everyone seems to be out to prove something. Yeah, I screwed up when I typed the first post.

Thanks for the response. I apologize for being an asshole. :beer:

Do I know what you mean there LOL.... I'm sure I will get over it take care, Lee :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread