Replacement Intercooler

TVSCobra

Established Member
I'm of this school of thought. Diagnose the issue before throwing parts, especially expensive ones at it. As stated above you may have seal or blockage issues of the core via oil buildup etc.

Yeah I agree. But I didn't want to have it apart and then have to order a intercooler. I can always send it back. The IATs are getting worse, I drove it yesterday and my IATs where 65 degrees over IAT1, while cruising at highway speeds. 74 degrees ambient temp. I pulled over and checked the intercooler pump flow, it was good. Plenty of flow and the temp of the fluid was not hot it was a little warm. I did not have a thermometer on me at that time.

It's not oil build up, I have a oil separator on the driver's side and a JLT pre filter on the passenger side. I also cleaned the intercooler when I installed the Reman engine last March. I do not throw parts at things either. I know how to diagnose every problem on vehicles, I've been working for BMW for 9 years now. I work on every system on these cars bumper to bumper. I do everything but body work. I'm also a Team leader and Shop Foreman. I end up with the cars that other Master Techs can not fix.

I should get to tearing it down Monday morning and will update with what I find.

Thanks

Last edited:

TVSCobra

Established Member
Yup, finished it up wednesday afternoon. Gathering charge temp data and my findings.

Let's just say I'm happy with it!

I will update this thread tonight.

Thanks!

TVSCobra

Established Member
okay,

I found a couple things that were contributinge to high IATs. I did find a break in the sealant at the outer edge of the intercooler, the edge closest to the driver's side front of the intercooler. It was about 6mm in length, I can imagine under boost it was open up. As I'm sure to those of you that have had one of these in you hands, there is sealant between the mounting plate and the intercooler core. So there was a little bit of air bypassing the intercooler.

I decided to flow test both cores, I know this is not a very accurate test but here it goes. I left the water hose on the same setting. I put the intercooler manifold on the stock intercooler and noticed that there wasn't a large volume of water coming out but there was more pressure behind it. I'm thinking a possible blockage or a defect inside the core. Then onto the Griffin unit, there is definitely a different between the two. It appears the Griffin flows more volume of water. It also seems that the fins on the Griffin core are less restrictive. I took my blow gun, under shop pressure and shot air over the stock core and over the Griffin core. I could feel much more air flowing through the Griffin core that the stock unit. The Griffin/LFP intercooler must have been redesigned, judging by other pics I have seen on the internet, it is very close to the same size as the stock core, its has one extra set of cooling fins, I took some side to side pics but for some reason they did come out right, they were out of focus. I should have checked them before I installed it. I do have some other pics that I will post. The mounting plate is completely welded to the cooler core, unlike the Garrett unit that is only partially welded and the sealed completey along the perimeter between the mounting plate and the core. On the Griffin core there is only a bead of silicone on the front and the back of the top of the core. I ran a small bead down the sides of the upper part of the core between the plate and the cooler core for assurance (just in case). This did not interfere with the fins at all.

Cruising temps with the Griffin are pretty good. I now have on average, after reaching operating temp and driving around for a hour of so with mixed highway and city driving I saw 30-38 average degrees between IAT1 and IAT2. This is with a JLT HB CAI, the difference in iat1 and iat2 with the CAI is usually a greater gap when compared to the RAI. These temps are close to what you would see on pullied Eatons. I notice that it takes much longer for the charge temps to rise than before. I have only pulled a few WOT runs, between working late and getting home to the family, I have not had the chance to really push the charge temps. But with doing a 2-3 gear pull. My IAT2 only increased a few degrees and recovered rather quickly. I am monitoring temps with my Interceptor.

I will get sometime this upcoming week for some datalogging that I will share in this thread. That will be the true test. I know you guys will want to have some logs to look at.

The only down side was I had to trim the rear portion of the mounting plate to get it to clear the intake manifold.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

So the only change was sealant? I would have to check the helm manual again on actual location, but the factory did not use sealant all the way around the mounting plate. They only used it along the back and partially up one of the sides.

TVSCobra

Established Member
The stock intercooler is sitting on my tool box at my shop. I will take some pics of what I am referring to Monday and post them.

TVSCobra

Established Member
GriffinIntercooler7of7_zps5f4250e9.jpg

GriffinIntercooler6of7_zps1dada110.jpg

GriffinIntercooler5of7_zps9b5d16d1.jpg

GriffinIntercooler4of7_zpsf5739eb8.jpg

GriffinIntercooler3of7_zpsba3d7e16.jpg

GriffinIntercooler2of7_zps7fabb338.jpg

GriffinIntercooler2of7_zps7fabb338.jpg

Factory Intercooler

FactoryIntercooler5of5_zpsc45ed83f.jpg

FactoryIntercooler4of5_zps6ed2191b.jpg

FactoryIntercooler3of5_zps38b8ec5d.jpg

FactoryIntercooler2of5_zpsed722a66.jpg

FactoryIntercooler1of5_zpse58c4546.jpg

Last edited:

TVSCobra

Established Member
I was just thinking that when looking at the intercooler Ford has the cooled fluid coming in the bottom of the intercooler and the hot fluid coming out the top of the intercooler.

Wouldn't it make more sense from the cool fluid to enter the top and exit the bottom of the intercooler? I was thinking of swapping the inlet hose and the outlet hose and seeing if this has a change in flow or IATs.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
then the fluid would hit cold temps first and then warmer temps on the bottom before entering the intake. I would rather have it hit the coolest part of the IC last no?

TVSCobra

Established Member
then the fluid would hit cold temps first and then warmer temps on the bottom before entering the intake. I would rather have it hit the coolest part of the IC last no?

I see what you are saying, but I may try it and see what difference it makes. I have searched around and found that no one has done this, at least no one has posted or talked about it. I will try it out and let you guys know how it goes.

Last edited:

Swervedriver

Established Member
By feeding the top port you will be trapping air in the intercooler.

Feed the bottom and air will burp out the top port.

Last edited:

Dhenderson

Established Member
I will get sometime this upcoming week for some datalogging that I will share in this thread. That will be the true test. I know you guys will want to have some logs to look at.

Have you had the time to evaluate the effectiveness more with the Griffin intercooler?

TVSCobra

Established Member
Yes it is a POS, sending it back. Mike R from Tousley found me a new Garrett/Ford intercooler. Will update with more details soon, after I get my refund back from LFP.

Users who are viewing this thread