replacement shifter?

sliver-cobra-01

Established Member
After driving a new BMW, I realized my stock shifter in my 01 Cobra leaves a lot to be desired. I know the 2000 Rs came with the B&M units but some of the other shifters look very good (Pro 5.0, Steeda Tri-Ax and Hurst). I would like to hear about experiences with these different shifters and if there is a review article with some that tests each shifter out.

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by sliver-cobra-01
After driving a new BMW, I realized my stock shifter in my 01 Cobra leaves a lot to be desired. I know the 2000 Rs came with the B&M units but some of the other shifters look very good (Pro 5.0, Steeda Tri-Ax and Hurst). I would like to hear about experiences with these different shifters and if there is a review article with some that tests each shifter out.
Nice to have another Texan here?!! don't you think? Brian?? ;-) and I see you are in College Station - home of the Aggies AND Texas World Speedway?!! :)

The B&M Ripper shifter in the R is wonderful! I like it alot! It shifts very precisely and I have no problems getting to/from each gear. Of course, the shifter itself is a bit far away (a known issue on all Mustangs) but that is certainly not the shifter's fault. Since I have a long reach, it is not a problem for me.

I also own a BMW M5. I replaced the stock shifter (although it was buttery smooth!!!) in favor of a more precise shifter - from UUC. You might check them out to see if they make short shifters for the Mustang?? It also shifts very precise and has a distinct (albeit very faint) notching/clicking sound and feeling when you move from gear to gear. Very nice!

I do not have any experience with any of the others you've mentioned.

By the way, some of us here occasionally go out to TWS for some fun in the R. We should plan to get together next time out.

Last edited:

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
the only thing i dont like is the rubbery feeling when going into 3rd....several of us here have complained about this, and i think there is a kit from steeda to remove the soft bushings, and replace them with stiffer ones, making it more solid and precise....plus, there are a few shifter handles out there that correct the long throw....

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
PRO-50 PRO-50 PRO-50!!!! My '95 R came with what I consider a total POS shifter. Super rubbery and not at all precise. I've also owned 2 other Mustangs which I installed Hurst shifters in. They were definitely an improvement over stock, but the PRO-50 unit is built like a Brick $hithouse!! And shifting, especially 2nd to 3rd, is much more accurate! IMHO much better than the Hurst.:D

sliver-cobra-01

Established Member
Thanks for the shifter info. When do you plan to visit TWS again. I understand that we can get on the track with the TWS sportscar club or with an organization called NASA. Again thanks,

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
thanks mike....where can i get more info on the pro-50? and what part of eastern PA? I'm in northern NJ about 20 min west of manhattan....

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by HAMMRHEAD
PRO-50 PRO-50 PRO-50!!!! My '95 R came with what I consider a total POS shifter. Super rubbery and not at all precise. I've also owned 2 other Mustangs which I installed Hurst shifters in. They were definitely an improvement over stock, but the PRO-50 unit is built like a Brick $hithouse!! And shifting, especially 2nd to 3rd, is much more accurate! IMHO much better than the Hurst.:D
Mike,

Is there much tranny vibration noise coming from this shifter? Just wondering? Also, would you consider this one to be better than the B&M Ripper?? Although I like the Ripper, I would like to bring the shifter back a little and get a little more preciseness, especially going from 2nd to 3rd??

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
Originally posted by NJ2000R
thanks mike....where can i get more info on the pro-50? and what part of eastern PA? I'm in northern NJ about 20 min west of manhattan....

WWW.PRO-50.com

I live in Hatfield,PA. About 45 minutes kinda-sorta North of Philadelphia. We're prolly about 1 1/2 hours apart, I'm guessing?
:D

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
Originally posted by Andy M
Mike,

Is there much tranny vibration noise coming from this shifter? Just wondering? Also, would you consider this one to be better than the B&M Ripper?? Although I like the Ripper, I would like to bring the shifter back a little and get a little more preciseness, especially going from 2nd to 3rd??

Andy,

I never noticed any 'noise' to speak of, but my R only has about 800 miles on it,, not to mention the off-road pipe and Flowmasters. (They make a little bit of noise!:rollseyes )

I never had the opportunity to thrash a Ripper, but if yer offering I'd be more than happy to do a comparo!;-)

I've heard that Pro-50 is now offering an optional handle, which is longer and angled different, other than the short handle which is standard. I have the short one and I like it, but am curious about the longer handle nonetheless.

With the Pro-50, 2nd to 3rd is Friggin' Great!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread