Replacing 09 Clutch, What Will I Need

Walk2Much

Established Member
I am replacing the clutch in my 09 with the Factory Clutch Upgrade Kit. Will I need any gaskets, seals, grease, or fluids when I do this? I do plan to change the transmission fluid while I am doing this. If they are any tips or advice anyone could give, that would be great. Thanks

RSAGT500

Established Member
I lowered the k-member and jacked the front of the engine up and it was still a pain to get the input shaft to clear the clutch to drop the Trans. With the McLeod RXT the shaft cleared easily and the Trans went right in with no fight. This was done on a lift.

Last edited:

builttodrive

Established Member
You may want to replace the slave cylinder while youre in there if you have some miles on it. If you have the stock blower or TVS you can get away with loosening the motor mounts to tip the engine back enough to get the trans loose from the engine.

Walk2Much

Established Member
You may want to replace the slave cylinder while youre in there if you have some miles on it. If you have the stock blower or TVS you can get away with loosening the motor mounts to tip the engine back enough to get the trans loose from the engine.

I will be replacing the slave cylinder also. So it sounds like the trans is going to be a pain to get off. What about putting the trans back on?

Nsssane1

Established Member
Pilot bearing also, oem. Yes its a pain the top bolts mostly, I lowered k member and tilted motor back as far as possible and they were still hard to reach. Keep a eye on a hard water line next to the crank pulley (drivers side) it can get bent tilting the motor.

builttodrive

Established Member
I will be replacing the slave cylinder also. So it sounds like the trans is going to be a pain to get off. What about putting the trans back on?

Yeah it's a pain to do. When I did mine I had stock manifolds so I can't vouch for headers but with the stock mid pipe out of the way and the black brace just below the bell housing removed getting to the upper bolts is a lot easier with a box end wrench. You won't get to these from the top. Theres also a bleeding procedure for the new slave cylinder buy jacking up one side of the car...The drivers side if I remember right? And then pumping the clutch pedal until it is bleed and you have pedal again. It works pretty well really.

Walk2Much

Established Member
Yeah it's a pain to do. When I did mine I had stock manifolds so I can't vouch for headers but with the stock mid pipe out of the way and the black brace just below the bell housing removed getting to the upper bolts is a lot easier with a box end wrench. You won't get to these from the top. Theres also a bleeding procedure for the new slave cylinder buy jacking up one side of the car...The drivers side if I remember right? And then pumping the clutch pedal until it is bleed and you have pedal again. It works pretty well really.

Thanks for the info, I'll keep it in mind when I start this little project.

I saw that the ECU is supposed to be updated with the factory clutch upgrade. Will that really be necessary? Because I'm sure the dealer will want around $100 to hook up the computer. :shrug:

builttodrive

Established Member
I can't imagine why the ecu cares about the clutch so I doubt it. I installed an aftermarket clutch in mine and had zero issues...in fact my car was on the updated clutch when I replaced it and I like the new clutch much better than the ford one!!

03blkann

Established Member
clutch

I did mine on jackstands in my garage. No big deal at all just rotate the transmission alittle and it comes right out and the same for putting it back in. I would also replace the fluid line. It makes the clutch pedal feel so much better.

Walk2Much

Established Member
I did mine on jackstands in my garage. No big deal at all just rotate the transmission alittle and it comes right out and the same for putting it back in. I would also replace the fluid line. It makes the clutch pedal feel so much better.

Thanks for the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread