Replacing Brake Pads

MongoCobra

Established Member
would try to search for this but the function is disabled. Is there a special tool necessary to take apart the brakes? I remember seeing something that needle nose pliers will do but I dont want to screw anything. does anyone know where i can get the tool? Can you point me to a thread/site where i can have instructions on replacing the pads?

thanks for the help

JimBobWay

Established Member
No need to take apart the calipers to replace the pads. To push the pistons back in, you'll have to twist teh piston as it goes in. I used a c-clamp to apply pressure and large plyers to twist the piston. Pretty easy. The rear brakes, I had to take off the emergancy brake cable to get at the bolts. No big deal.

svt03cobra10th

Established Member
Monga, what pads are you using. I put the Hawk HPSs on mine and I could feel a difference. Just my $.02. I have the dealer do all the work on mine, so that I can have accurate and complete records, they had the tool to compress the rear pistons.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
doing pads on these cars is easy. Using the Lisle disk brake caliper tool(bought mine at sears) is a big help.

quick run through

1. jack the bitch up, jackstands/wheels off
2. for the front, take out the pin on the bottom(1 c-clip and washer in back)
3. tilt caliper up. remove outer pad. use c-clamp to compress pistons(remember to stuff towel lightly into your brake fluid resevior.

4. install new pads and transfer all the rubber crap over.
5. reassemble.

rear

1. undo the two bolts. once bolts are off, pry caliper off(bit of a bitch). Once off, replace pads with side clips. Now using the tool, have a buddy hold the caliper and apply pressure, turn the piston clockwise. Once its about even with the rubber boot, try and reinstall it. May take a few tries.

once thats done, reinstall the bolts(bitch). i put top one in first and then try to swing it down to align them. that can be a pita to do. once thats done, bleed the brakes and call it a day.

Quadcammer

Established Member
this is such a simple install, do it yourself.

dealer would charge prolly round 100 bux to do this.

Quadcammer

Established Member
Thats rather cheap, i would have thought it would have been more.

They did all 4 and bled them in 30 minutes? cool.

Users who are viewing this thread