Replacing cats with straight pipe

rrpederson

lookin 4 parts
Established Member
Hey everyone, has anyone removed just the cats from the stock mid pipe, and replaced with the same diameter piping? I really like the way the car sounds stock, but just want the volume turned up slightly. I'm not even that concerned with making more power right now. Does anyone think this would be a viable option instead of buying a replacement off road mid pipe? I know that the 02 sensors will need to be turned off and all that. Just wondering about the exhaust note. Thanks.

Richie

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
I haven't done this however, I recently switched to an MRT off road pipe, keeping the stock catback intact. Here is how it sounds.

[video=youtube;xYPuY0m1h4o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYPuY0m1h4o&list=UUCS2jq2ta3deQa8E8SwPAYQ[/video]

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
Probably easier to just get an after market off road mid pipe for the time / money would be ten times easier.

The stock mid pipe flows pretty good for stock, if you doing tune and pulleys i say go for an off road for sure.

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Unless you are going to cut and weld the pipe on your own, you are probably going to spend close to the same money having your stock cats replaced with 2 pieces of straight pipe as you would buying a whole off road pipe. If you want to keep the car sounding about the same, just with more volume, go with an off road H pipe. We have some available that we have made with Stainless Steel and they are priced very well.

http://www.lethalperformance.com/sh...-2014-shelby-gt500-t304-3-stainles-50052.html

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks.

crucianpilot

Feel the need for speed!
Established Member
I haven't done this however, I recently switched to an MRT off road pipe, keeping the stock catback intact. Here is how it sounds.

[video=youtube;xYPuY0m1h4o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYPuY0m1h4o&list=UUCS2jq2ta3deQa8E8SwPAYQ[/video]

Sounds just like mine, love it!

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm running lethal's stainless steal X pipe and I love it, it fit perfect and sounds better than the H pipe, but I have always been a fan of the x pipe over the H pipe.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
Unless you are going to cut and weld the pipe on your own, you are probably going to spend close to the same money having your stock cats replaced with 2 pieces of straight pipe as you would buying a whole off road pipe. If you want to keep the car sounding about the same, just with more volume, go with an off road H pipe. We have some available that we have made with Stainless Steel and they are priced very well.

http://www.lethalperformance.com/sh...-2014-shelby-gt500-t304-3-stainles-50052.html

Thanks.

Would I still pass the Massachusetts state inspection if I did this?

BOSSPOWER

Established Member

Thanks.

+1

Manuel

ryan319

Established Member
Would I still pass the Massachusetts state inspection if I did this?

Does MA offer any kind of exemption? In my PA county if you put less than 5000 miles on your car per year it is exempt from emissions testing. You still have to go through the safety inspection but the functionality of the cats are not part of that.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
Most likely not as there are no catalytic converters on that pipe. To pass inspection legally, you cannot touch your OEM H pipe (to my knowledge).

I hate this liberal state.
Does MA offer any kind of exemption? In my PA county if you put less than 5000 miles on your car per year it is exempt from emissions testing. You still have to go through the safety inspection but the functionality of the cats are not part of that.

I don't know but I doubt they do.

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I hate this liberal state.

I don't know but I doubt they do.

It's not just the state, I believe it's Federal law. But like ryan319 said, check your state then county laws to see if there are exemptions. Even in Florida, we don't have inspections at all, but it's still illegal for us to remove properly working cats, but we still do it anyways ;-)

ThomasL

Established Member
It's not just the state, I believe it's Federal law. But like ryan319 said, check your state then county laws to see if there are exemptions. Even in Florida, we don't have inspections at all, but it's still illegal for us to remove properly working cats, but we still do it anyways ;-)

We sure do!!! :pepper:

BahnRunner

Established Member
I will be cutting out my Cats and welding in straight pipes in their place. I live overseas and can't get a h-pipe shipped over here because they are oversized shipping and I am not spending $400 on shipping for a $400 pipe. Cutting and welding is too easy.

BOSSPOWER

Established Member

Cats, what are those??? I never seen mine...LOL!!!

Users who are viewing this thread