Replacing my 1995 Cobra R exhaust...same as Cobra?

NiceMustang

Established Member
Can anyone confirm that an exhaust made for a 95 Cobra will in fact fit a 95 Cobra R? I would think it would but wanted to ask. I'm looking at the Borla 14445 cat back.

While I'm at it...anyone have one of these on their R?

Thanks...

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Due to the fuel cell most systems offered for the 5.0 motor will not fit. Do a search. I believe Flowmaster is the one that fits.

Tom

3Rgarage

Established Member
Can anyone confirm that an exhaust made for a 95 Cobra will in fact fit a 95 Cobra R? I would think it would but wanted to ask. I'm looking at the Borla 14445 cat back.

While I'm at it...anyone have one of these on their R?

Thanks...

Back in the day I had a Borla cat back installed on my 95 R. The tail pipes had to be reworked to clear the fuel cell. It was worth it - I loved the Borla sound!

-Jim

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Several postings I've found indicate is the same as the stock Cobra but to your point might take a bit of massaging. Thanks.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?577242-95-R-exhaust-question

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?461747-95R-Exhaust-System-Question

Not sure what you are saying. If you mean the original exhaust between the Cobra/gt and R is the same you are correct. The factory pipes were the same. However, most aftermarket kits were designed for the street Cobra which used a stock fuel tank. The R has a much larger fuel cell which interferes with most of the aftermarket kits.

Tom

NiceMustang

Established Member
Not sure what you are saying. If you mean the original exhaust between the Cobra/gt and R is the same you are correct. The factory pipes were the same. However, most aftermarket kits were designed for the street Cobra which used a stock fuel tank. The R has a much larger fuel cell which interferes with most of the aftermarket kits.

Tom

I guess I hadn't thought about it this way, but it must work like this...

If the GT / Cobra / Cobra R used exactly the same parts from the factory (what most people are saying) but the aftermarkets produced today don't fit the R while firing the GT / Cobra, that must mean they are not exactly the same layout as the original stock Cobra / GT parts or they would also fit the R (assuming the previous sentence is accurate). So that has to be the difference. The aftermarket systems target the GT / Cobra layout with the gas tanks and have a slightly different layout than the original stock parts which in turn doesn't work with the R because of the fuel cell width/shape. That's the only way this makes sense if all 3 models originally came with identical cat back systems. Hmm...

brianz426

Established Member

wheelhopper

Established Member
Keep in mind that the factory exhaust was 2.25" and most cat backs for our cars are 2.5". I have a magnaflow on mine and the exhaust pipe on the passenger side, that goes around the fuel cell, had to be massaged to fit.

Users who are viewing this thread