replacing quarter window, anyone done it?

bad93svt

Established Member
so I am replacing my quarter windows. what a bitch the old ones were to remove. I got them off, have new ones. So question to you is,
do you have to seal the windows with any special silicone? I am assuming since the factory ones had it, I will need to reuse it when I install the new ones.
Does anyone know if you can buy it from a local auto parts supply house?

Jeff

sneeky

Established Member
Go to any place that sells truck bed caps and get some foam tape, if you use silicone, you will never get them out again without breaking them!!!

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
Don't use foam tape!!!!!!! It will retain water and cause rust to form.

Go to a good auto parts store and ask for window ribbon tape... I can't think of the exact name now. It is made by 3M. It is available in 3/8" or 5/16". It will be a roll of black chaulk tape used to seal windows. It does not harden and stays pliable just like the factory window seal was.

All you have to do if you ever want to remove the qtr. window is take a knife and cut through the black ribbon.... on hot days you wont even have to cut it, it will be soft enough the glass will just push out once unbolted.

If you want a permanent seal.... buy a tube of 3M "windo-weld". It is applied with a caulk gun and flows out nicely. BUT it dries very hard. Its intended use is to glue in windshields that use no rubber seals or retainers.

sneeky

Established Member
Don't use foam tape!!!!!!! It will retain water and cause rust to form.

Is that why all truck beds rust under the caps??? :nonono:
Obviously you have used this before and it has caused rust issues for you? :nonono:
Well I have installed more 87-93 quarter windows than I can count this way without ever any problems or comebacks over the last 16 years, just tighten the nuts evenly, and you will be fine!!! Foam tape or DUM-DUM.
If it is a window that is NOT secured with nuts, I would agree with you about using a sealant.
Just because I am new to this site, it doesn't make me new Mustangs!!!:banana:
Some people just feel the need to over complicate things!!!

bad93svt

Established Member
windows

the car is not a daily driver.. & I would like to be able to remove them some day (if I repaint it again) Thanks for your suggestions. & keep them coming. I am trying to take all suggestions into consideration.
Does it matter that the car is only a good weather car. IF I use nothing. will I have wind leaks?
thanks in advance. Jeff

Speedfreek

Established Member
Is that why all truck beds rust under the caps??? :nonono:
Obviously you have used this before and it has caused rust issues for you? :nonono:
Well I have installed more 87-93 quarter windows than I can count this way without ever any problems or comebacks over the last 16 years, just tighten the nuts evenly, and you will be fine!!! Foam tape or DUM-DUM.
If it is a window that is NOT secured with nuts, I would agree with you about using a sealant.
Just because I am new to this site, it doesn't make me new Mustangs!!!:banana:
Some people just feel the need to over complicate things!!!

Wow a newbie trying to tell Daryl how to install a Mustang window, this should get interesting :pop:Daryl you taking notes? :lol:Don't guess you've ever put a 1/4 glass in right if you aren't using foam tape.:bash:

sneeky

Established Member
Responses like these are what cause problems on these type of forums.
Someone asked for help, and it was given. Now instead of you guys coming in respectfully with your outlook on the situation, you guys want to come in here and start trouble.
If he felt that I am incorrect, which is an opinion, not fact, he should have said, or you could try it like this also!!!
But I guess that I should just stay in my corner so that I don't question the supposed GODS of this site, sorry for trying to help!!!
Wow a newbie trying to tell Daryl how to install a Mustang window, this should get interesting :pop:Daryl you taking notes? :lol:Don't guess you've ever put a 1/4 glass in right if you aren't using foam tape.:bash:

Speedfreek

Established Member
No Daryl was just telling him the right way to do it and you came back at him flaming, so don't put it off like others are flaming you. The original poster asked for opinions you gave yours and Daryl gave his. End of story.

t66turbo

Car Designer in Training
Established Member
Before I decided to go back to college to become a car designer I was a AutoBody Shop Manager. The only way to do a job right is to use what the OE used, and that is ribbon tape. You can use 3M Window-Weld. Removing the windows at a later date is not a problem and you will not break the glass. The best way to do this is to start by removing the retaining nuts. Next I would take a putting knife and slowing slide the knife between the factory ribbon seal and the body. Do this just enough until you can start to gently push the glass from the body. At this point you can use a sharp razor blade to cute the window weld while you have pressure on the glass. I have down this procedure tons of times with no problems. If u do it right, you will not damage the glass or the body. Removing the window weld off the paint is easy aswell. Just use the window weld itself to do this. pull some window weld off and use that to stick to the window weld on the body. Window weld helps to remove window weld. I hope I could make what u was saying clear enough.

Last edited:

cobr96

getting old
Established Member
THE "RIBBON TAPE" or sealer is actually butyl tape typically used in installing the windshield. as is the newer method of using urethane adhesive such as the 3m windo weld caulk mentioned by daryl. The best product for the quarter glasses which is still used by ford today is " foam core butyl tape" it is available anywhere that sells / installs automotive glass. I would go with 1/4" . If you cant find it then do what was suggested above and go with the ribbon sealer butyl tape. Either should retail for around 10.00 or less

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
No Daryl was just telling him the right way to do it and you came back at him flaming, so don't put it off like others are flaming you. The original poster asked for opinions you gave yours and Daryl gave his. End of story.

+1 ... my exact thoughts

Regular foam tape like used for campers/caps retains water... spray some water on it and then give it a squeeze if you don't believe me. Also Ford used the plain foam tape around the gas filler pocket and I see lots of fox body's rusted in this area due to the water retention.

The tape that Ford originally used on the qtr. windows is a foam tape thats covered in the black butyl so that it is pliable yet does not soak in the water.

As far as not using any type of sealant on the windows is a bad idea even if its good weather only. You will eventually have to wash the car at some point. When you do, water will leak around the qtr. window.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Not to mention, the ribbon type allows you to easily put it on in a single seamless line, without having to go around a corner with foam tape.

No way would I use foam tape like under camper tops. I want to say the 3/8" is the right diameter, but it's been a LONG time since I pulled a 1/4 window.

Plus, the OE stuff helps cushion the window and keep it from rattling.

bad93svt

Established Member
window

I ended up going to napa & buying the ribbon tape. It worked great. I will post pics. This is the 1st time I have posted & actually got good suggestions/help/
thanks To all of you..
Jeff

got hp

SVT Connoisseur
Established Member
Ford used that foam ribbon tape on my back window of the Lighting from the factory and the damn thing started to leak AFTER the warranty was over. When I replaced the seal, the foam had fallen apart. I use the same black stuff on a roll you use for the windshield and it works great. I would never use that factory crap. :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread