Replacing Shifter = Warranty Void?

Acidus

Established Member
I've read that CAI and cat-back exhaust are warranty friendly. My Bassini cat back should arrive tommorow :)

BUT....

I've noticed that the car doesn't want to shift sometimes. Will replacing the shifter (and what exactly is a "clutch quadrant"?) void the warranty?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You should be fine with a shifter change. Some dealers might give you a hassle with any mod, but generally the CAI, exhaust and shifter are dealer friendly. I asked my dealer about every mod I've made or am thinking about making. Most recently I asked about the Accufab throttle body and plenum and he said 'fine'.

jumpincactus

Warriors come out to play
Established Member
Ya they may say fine now when you are just asking but what about farther down the road when you might have some issues. Sorry but I just do NOT trust Ford dealers :)

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
FYI, I was told by my servicing dealer that replacing the shifter would negate my tranny warranty. Their rationale was that aftermarket shifters change the shift gate and could cause internal damage to the tranny. Now it sounds like a load of crap but the logic is sound. The shifter may never cause a failure but any internal transmission failure could easily be blamed on the shifter. Replacing the handle though doesn't affect the operation and is a warranty safe mod. An adustable quadrant is good mod to extend your clutch life and can easily be reverse modded to avoid detection. Bottom line always be prepared to pay..

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by blk96SVT
I thought the Tri-Ax had stop points to not be able to bend the shift forks?

True but Ford has no control over weather or not the unit performs as advertised. As such they'll wash their hands of any failures. Not saying every dealership will do this but can be expected point of contention.

03blackCOBRA

Civil PE
Established Member
My dealer flicked me some crap when my tranny was replaced and found a Tri-Ax. I was told if they work on it again and find the Tri-Ax again the warranty for the tranny is void. I'm told the T-56 has internal stops and the after market shifter stops should not be used. I'm back to the stock shifter with a MGW handle. I don't think it’s the dealers, but the Ford Corporate office hassling the dealers about getting reimbursed for warranty work.:shrug:

Trader

Established Member
My dealer had the pro 5.0 in the car when i bought it. I think it was a 300 dollar add-on. Not a bad deal. But a smart move on thier part.

Aftermarket shifter=less chance of a missed shift and real damage.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Let me see - aftermarket shifter "might" have a different pattern or alignment? What a crock. The 2000 "R" came with a T56 and a B&M aftermarket shifter - do you actually think they had TTC design and mfr a specially configured transmission to make 300 cars?

I don't think so - these dealers are morons. The R also came with a K&N filter, but I just had a friend get a "warranty warning" about his.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Say what you want about your dealers, but I've spent enough time talking to my SVT sales manager to feel quite assured that I'm covered as long as I don't mess with the pulley or get a chip. That's not a 100% guarantee, but I do feel as comfortable as one could. Consider this. If a dealer wants a repeat customer or wants the positive word to get out he sure as heck isn't going to lead the customer on by saying certain mods are okay when they aren't, or if he knows pretty well that there might very well be a problem. A good dealer (like Lombard Ford) doesn't want that kind of negative publicity. He will be as up front as he needs to. And he'll stand behind what he says.

Last edited:

mambaman

Established Member
i don't own an '03, but i was in here by chance and noticed this thread, and i have the same type of question, but wouldn't reversing the process and putting back in the stock shifter be pretty easy?would it be detectable?thanks

Users who are viewing this thread