replacing timing chain cover gasket...

WHITE2000GT

Established Member
I'm replacing my timing chain cover gasket tomorrow in my 1995 Mustang GT.
I have all the gaskets/seals needed for the job, and I am replacing my timing chain and sprockets (comp cams) while I'm there.

Does anyone have any tips, tricks, or shortcuts on tackling this job? I have instructions, just looking for some pointers as this will be my first time doing this.

Thanks

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
Pretty straight foward, just taking the front accessories off and working your way there. Check your balancer while your there, if it's gotta lotta rubber hanging out I'd consider replacing it. Other than that, when the timing chain comes off, the front part of your oil pan will be exposed, cover that up, and try not to drop trash in it. Probably be a wise idea to drain the oil, pour a half court once you get it apart and cleaned up to wash some trash out, then put fresh when ya get done. Be easy with the front seal too. They can be a bitch.

wrksnfx

FordTrucksDaRestJustSuck
Established Member
Pretty straight foward, just taking the front accessories off and working your way there. Check your balancer while your there, if it's gotta lotta rubber hanging out I'd consider replacing it. Other than that, when the timing chain comes off, the front part of your oil pan will be exposed, cover that up, and try not to drop trash in it. Probably be a wise idea to drain the oil, pour a half court once you get it apart and cleaned up to wash some trash out, then put fresh when ya get done. Be easy with the front seal too. They can be a bitch.

I learned this trick and it makes putting gaskets on and to remove them some time later (You will need the following items a tube of 3m yellow emblem adhesive I know WTF do I need this I promise to explain it later and a tube Oxygen Sensor Safe RTV Silicone plus the gasket for the job this I learned from a A.S.E. CERTIFIED MASTER MECHANIC)

1) Clean up the surface by removing any old gasket material.

2) Apply the yellow 3m emblem adhesive compound to the surface of the part and wait for it to tack up (get slightly sticky) then place your gasket so that the holes line up properly.

3) Take the tube of silicone (they come w/ funnel type attachment that screws on) and run a continuous bead of it around the gasket material surface completely around the gaskets including the openings for boltholes (the bead ONLY needs to be the width of a ;-) or a little wider just enough so that a small amount oozes out).

4) Install the part like normal.

[The reason for the 3m yellow emblem adhesive is if and whenever the needs arises to remove the part the gasket will stick to the part NOT the block or intake and all you have to do is pull away the RTV silicone from the the block or intake or whatever this makes for gasket replacement EXTREMELY EASY I have used this method for thermostat replacement as well timing chain cover too and is a GREAT TIME SAVER.]

Last edited:

WHITE2000GT

Established Member
Well, i finally completed the gasket replacement today. Got the timing chain on...the car seems like the timing is almost perfect but needs adjusting a little...had a little detonation at full throttle.

Everything went great on this repair...So far no leaks, so thats a plus. I'm gonna keep an eye out on it for a few days to see if any appear....i doubt they will. But i put a thin layer of rtv on all gasket mating surfaces...not sure if that will help or hurt me, we'll see.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll keep those in mind for future reference.

70Maverick

Established Member
Your timing probably needs adjusting because the new chain is tighter and effectively you advanced the timing by having a new chain. Just a 1/2 in ch wrench and a quick (and small) twist of the distributor and you are in business.

WHITE2000GT

Established Member
Your timing probably needs adjusting because the new chain is tighter and effectively you advanced the timing by having a new chain. Just a 1/2 in ch wrench and a quick (and small) twist of the distributor and you are in business.

Yeah, the stock chain was stretch significantly more than the new chain...probably 1" longer in length, compared to the new one. I have access to a timing light, so I will probably set it with that.

Users who are viewing this thread