Repro door tag????

93_SVT_FREAK

Established Member
Is there any way to get another door tag for a 93 Cobra?

I'm looking at one forsale but the tag has been painted over.

cobr96

getting old
Established Member
the paint usually doesnt stick to well to those stickers . You should be able to carefully scrape it off, using care, or even laquer thinner or some other solvent. The writing is actually under the top layer so it wont mess up the writing.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Yep, that's correct. The stickers basically have a thick laminate film over them. I'd try lacque thinner first, then some type of soft scraper (a plastic type) to see if you can get it off.

There is no one that I know of that does reproductions, although I've entertained the idea...

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
cobr96 said:
the paint usually doesnt stick to well to those stickers . You should be able to carefully scrape it off, using care, or even laquer thinner or some other solvent. The writing is actually under the top layer so it wont mess up the writing.

I had a door replaced on a 92GT before an when you remove the sticker there is like small triangles they stay stuck to the door when it comes off.

I have personally never seen the OEM sticker removed from a door and been complete. Ford did and does remake the stickers for newer cars, but they are an act of GOD to get them.

I personally would love to see a completly remove sticker, not to mention the VIN is on the door sticker so why would you want to remove it from the door ?

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
Paint thinner and patience will get all the oversprayed paint off... BUT be very careful that you dont get off the edge of the sticker. The thinner will get under it and cause the sticker to lift off/become loose.

Beryman B-12 is stronger than thinner and will take off really thick paint. You must be super careful with it though.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
BADBOYSPACK said:
I had a door replaced on a 92GT before an when you remove the sticker there is like small triangles they stay stuck to the door when it comes off.

I have personally never seen the OEM sticker removed from a door and been complete. Ford did and does remake the stickers for newer cars, but they are an act of GOD to get them.

I personally would love to see a completly remove sticker, not to mention the VIN is on the door sticker so why would you want to remove it from the door ?

He'd trying to get overspray off the sticker, not trying to remove the sticker...

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
The thinner will do just fine then.

I hope he doesnt find out the car is not a cobra when he gets the paint removed, but he should be able to tell by the vin.

Users who are viewing this thread